Bullnose Forums

Electrical issue

mp470

No, low oil pressure will not shut it down, only one I know of is the 460 with hot fuel handling package. They have electric in-tank low pressure pumps controlled with a switch from the oil pressure fitting on the back of the engine.

On the low idle, possible misfire, can you hear the EGR relays chattering when it does this? I will have to find my idle set procedure for the 1985.5 and 1986 EFI systems.

Where are these relays located? There is definitely a chattering coming from somewhere in that area. I also tried unplugging the EGR while it was running, seemed to be more bogged down with it plugged in.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are these relays located? There is definitely a chattering coming from somewhere in that area. I also tried unplugging the EGR while it was running, seemed to be more bogged down with it plugged in.

They are located inside a plastic cover behind the battery, the "cover" is a vacuum reservoir. Here is a picture of a set of them:

DSCN1482_copy.jpg.a6dea8c8af394e56aaf199899a88808b.jpg

The two on the right end are the EGR vacuum and vent, the black and red go to the reservoir.

They are located inside a plastic cover behind the battery, the "cover" is a vacuum reservoir. Here is a picture of a set of them:

The two on the right end are the EGR vacuum and vent, the black and red go to the reservoir.

Thanks for the photo, really appreciate the effort. Time ran out tonight as it got dark but I did manage to pull the codes. It appears to be a memory code 22 - MAP signal out of range.

Thanks for the photo, really appreciate the effort. Time ran out tonight as it got dark but I did manage to pull the codes. It appears to be a memory code 22 - MAP signal out of range.

Ok, MAP sensor out of range could be a vacuum leak, or it could be going bad. It is a roughly rectangular black piece on the inner fender near the other EFI stuff and will have a larger hose attached and a three wire plug. Supposedly the 1985.5 and 1986 are by themselves, but I think I have successfully used a later one.

On the IAC bypass, the TSB is in the "Merry Christmas" thread (at least for now). Sometime I will try to find and scan the idle adjustment procedure for the 1986 MY EFI 5.0L, 1985.5 should be the same. I have acquired a number of the Ford diagnostic manuals (great big loose leaf books) and will get that to Gary for incorporation here.

Ok, MAP sensor out of range could be a vacuum leak, or it could be going bad. It is a roughly rectangular black piece on the inner fender near the other EFI stuff and will have a larger hose attached and a three wire plug. Supposedly the 1985.5 and 1986 are by themselves, but I think I have successfully used a later one.

On the IAC bypass, the TSB is in the "Merry Christmas" thread (at least for now). Sometime I will try to find and scan the idle adjustment procedure for the 1986 MY EFI 5.0L, 1985.5 should be the same. I have acquired a number of the Ford diagnostic manuals (great big loose leaf books) and will get that to Gary for incorporation here.

Bill - The TSB's are easily accessed via the TSB link in the navigation menu, as shown below. No need to go to that thread. In fact, that's one of the beauties of this forum - the documentation is readily available.

And on the books, if you want to ship them to me I'll do the scanning and send them back. I have a service here in town that does a really good job for next to nothing.

File_000.png.a5cb07f4af2be12d8f558f4076a6e44d.png

Bill - The TSB's are easily accessed via the TSB link in the navigation menu, as shown below. No need to go to that thread. In fact, that's one of the beauties of this forum - the documentation is readily available.

And on the books, if you want to ship them to me I'll do the scanning and send them back. I have a service here in town that does a really good job for next to nothing.

I might think about that, but they are pretty hefty.

I might think about that, but they are pretty hefty.

Send them book rate. Or UPS. That's what Chris/Numberdummy say they may do on Bill's stuff.

I have lots to have her do, and will just put them in the mix. And if you get them here before Sept 16th I can show them off at the get-together.

Any good way to test the MAP sensor without a frequency reading multimeter?

No because the early computers will not deliver live data, I always kept a spare to try so I could see if it made a difference.

Well, scratch all that. This was my first time pulling these OBDI codes and I was mistaken. There are no codes at all (1-1). I simulated a real 22 by pulling the plug on the MAP so I saw what that should look like. Something interesting that I noted though...There is absolutely no vacuum on the hose going to the EGR valve.