Bullnose Forums

Clutch/starter safety switch [E4TZ-11A152-B] - NOS

• 2 weeks later...

I thought about it, but decided if the one I have is bad or ever fails, I'll just bypass it. I always pull my truck out of gear before starting it and nobody else drives them so it won't be a big deal.

I've been meaning to ask about clutch safety switches. My 1980 F150 project truck was originally a T-18 4spd. Would it have had a clutch switch when it was new? I seem to recall that the earlier Bullnoses didn't have these switches? Anybody?

Now that I have the 5spd swapped in, I guess I could wire in a safety switch, but that would be way way down my priority list considering the amount of work I have left to do to even get the thing on the road.

I've been meaning to ask about clutch safety switches. My 1980 F150 project truck was originally a T-18 4spd. Would it have had a clutch switch when it was new? I seem to recall that the earlier Bullnoses didn't have these switches? Anybody?

Now that I have the 5spd swapped in, I guess I could wire in a safety switch, but that would be way way down my priority list considering the amount of work I have left to do to even get the thing on the road.

My 80 doesn't. Nor does it have the holes in the pedal assembly/bracket for it. I'll check my 80 evtm to see if it shows it for a manual.

Took a look at the 81 evtm in the Doc and doesn't look like it has the circuit for it.

Our page on Documentation/Year-To-Year Differences says this on the Electrical tab. I included the NSS as it seems relevant. Kind of scary, huh?

• Neutral Start Switch: The automatic transmission neutral safety switch, which prevents the engine from cranking in all but Park and Neutral, first debuted in 1983. (Source: 1983 EVTM)

• Clutch lockout switch, (E4TZ 11A152-B) which prevents the engine from cranking with the clutch engaged, first appeared in 1984. (Source: 1984 EVTM & MPC )

Our page on Documentation/Year-To-Year Differences says this on the Electrical tab. I included the NSS as it seems relevant. Kind of scary, huh?

• Neutral Start Switch: The automatic transmission neutral safety switch, which prevents the engine from cranking in all but Park and Neutral, first debuted in 1983. (Source: 1983 EVTM)

• Clutch lockout switch, (E4TZ 11A152-B) which prevents the engine from cranking with the clutch engaged, first appeared in 1984. (Source: 1984 EVTM & MPC )

FWIW, my 1986 wiring harness was used in an AOD truck, but it had the clutch safety switch connector taped to the harness with a jumper plug plugged into the connector. My 1990 harness had a completely different style plug and safety switch, so I assume the bullnose style of switch only lasted for 3 years before it changed in 1987.

FWIW, my 1986 wiring harness was used in an AOD truck, but it had the clutch safety switch connector taped to the harness with a jumper plug plugged into the connector. My 1990 harness had a completely different style plug and safety switch, so I assume the bullnose style of switch only lasted for 3 years before it changed in 1987.

Would you believe that the first one was used 3 years, the second one only 1 year, and then the third one used for many years?

That's in the pickups and Broncos. Apparently the engineers on the vans were smarter? :nabble_anim_confused:

I've added that to the page at Documentation/Electrical/Switches.

11A152_Clutch_Safety_Switch.thumb.jpg.f03dc80cfee40e253dec94087176ef84.jpg