Bullnose Forums

Converting 87-96 F trucks to Bullnoses

On the doors, the bricknose and later models have the seat belt retractors down low and the belt runs up, through a guide then back down to attach to the floor for the "endless loop". On the bullnose the seat belt retractors are up about head level so the belt feeds straight out from them for the "endless loop". The problem this creates on the bullnose doors to brick or aeronose is the bulge in either the rear cab pillar or B post on a crew cab, the bullnose doors do not have the needed recess for the seat belt retractor. Going the other way is no problem, but the aeronose doors have a sculptured recess outside near the bottom that the bullnose and bricknose lack.

Windows, front windows on a bullnose are wider than bricknose or aeronose, but if the matching wing vent assembly is used, then they work perfectly, but, the aeronose wing vents have a truncated front corner so the driver's side will clear the dash. Power window wiring, the long side of the harness changed, early models, I believe through 1991 the long side is on the driver's side door harness, 1992 up it reverses so the long harness is on the passenger side door harness, this only becomes an issue if you are adding power windows and locks with a door swap then it becomes an issue, but from my experience the plug ins for the fuse box still match. If you are simply installing later or earlier doors, use the existing truck harnesses, it's a lot easier. I will dig up and post my pictures, or you can look at my Darth Vader posts in projects.

That is awesome by the way, well done!

I've just been dreaming and scheming for my next project, and I want to do a Flareside 4x4. Problem is finding one. I didn't think of it at first, but it dawned on me that maybe I could pick-up a 87-96 truck and convert it. I'm already collecting the parts to build a 2nd Bullnose Flareside bed, so that part is relatively easy and straight forward.

So, another stupid question...

Were the Bullnose frames the same between a 4x2 and a 4x4 in the same model truck? Or did the 4x4 frames have a specific frame that was different from the 2wd trucks? Just curious.

That is awesome by the way, well done!

I've just been dreaming and scheming for my next project, and I want to do a Flareside 4x4. Problem is finding one. I didn't think of it at first, but it dawned on me that maybe I could pick-up a 87-96 truck and convert it. I'm already collecting the parts to build a 2nd Bullnose Flareside bed, so that part is relatively easy and straight forward.

So, another stupid question...

Were the Bullnose frames the same between a 4x2 and a 4x4 in the same model truck? Or did the 4x4 frames have a specific frame that was different from the 2wd trucks? Just curious.

The 4x2 and 4x4 frames were the same. Adding 4wd is a bolt-on. However, there were minor differences. Obviously there's a transfer case shifter so the transmission tunnel needs to be cut out and a transmission cover with a hole for the shifter installed.

And on the Styleside trucks the rear springs were 3" wide for a 4x4 instead of 2 1/2" on the 2x4. And a spacer block added between the axle and the frame. But that isn't a requirement. Rusty was originally a 2x4 truck and had been converted, but the rear springs were left the same and the spacer block wasn't added.

Also, there's no bulb or even a socket for the bulb to light the 4x4 light in the dash. The socket is separate and has to be added, although it just clips in. But I don't remember if the wiring 'twixt the bulb, the transfer case, and power is already there or not.

The 4x2 and 4x4 frames were the same. Adding 4wd is a bolt-on. However, there were minor differences. Obviously there's a transfer case shifter so the transmission tunnel needs to be cut out and a transmission cover with a hole for the shifter installed.

And on the Styleside trucks the rear springs were 3" wide for a 4x4 instead of 2 1/2" on the 2x4. And a spacer block added between the axle and the frame. But that isn't a requirement. Rusty was originally a 2x4 truck and had been converted, but the rear springs were left the same and the spacer block wasn't added.

Also, there's no bulb or even a socket for the bulb to light the 4x4 light in the dash. The socket is separate and has to be added, although it just clips in. But I don't remember if the wiring 'twixt the bulb, the transfer case, and power is already there or not.

Interesting, thanks Gary.

I'm just playing around at the moment...curious what IS possible, and I'm not even finished my current project...lol. Of course I'd ideally want a truck that was already a 4x4, but if the right opportunity came along for the right price, I was curious if the conversion was at least somewhat straight forward.

The 4x2 and 4x4 frames were the same. Adding 4wd is a bolt-on....

True for F-150s, but I don't think it is for F-250/350. On the heavier trucks the 2WD were coil sprung in front while the 4WD had leaf springs. Supposedly there's a fair amount of fabrication to swap front suspensions on them.

True for F-150s, but I don't think it is for F-250/350. On the heavier trucks the 2WD were coil sprung in front while the 4WD had leaf springs. Supposedly there's a fair amount of fabrication to swap front suspensions on them.

Good point! I guess I was assuming F100 or F150 as he was talking Flareside. But I should have stated that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes, F150 vs. F250 frames differ between 2WD and 4WD in that the F250/350 4WD frames are leaf sprung. This applies across 1980 through 1996 including the 1997 SD trucks. There also is a gauge difference in the frame material. All the sheet metal remains interchangeable within the F series.

Now, I think there is an interesting possibility with using the heavier F250 2WD coil sprung frame with F150 TTB beams. I believe the D50 chunk bolts to the same pattern as the D44 and you can use the lower GVWR F250 knuckles on the D44 TTB. You could potentially make a coil sprung TTB F250 using the 2WD F250 frame. The leaf sprung versions ride very hard.