Bullnose Forums

Converting 87-96 F trucks to Bullnoses

Can the 87-96 F trucks be converted to Bullnoses relatively easily?

I'm really just curious about the front clip, not the box so much. The box is easy, and I've seen enough Bullnose trucks with later model boxes on them I know that much is common.

What about the front clip though? Is it as simple as changing the bumper, rad support, fenders, and hood?

Just curious. Thanks.

I think there is a bolt or two different in the fender attachment but it is not a big deal. People swap front clips around almost as commonly as the beds. The 87-91 frame horns are like ours, the 92+ have the crumple zone and square tube opening in the front so it would take some creativity to mount a bullnose bumper. The interiors can be swapped as well but the dash is not a direct bolt over. It takes a little creativity. 92+ have the truncated wing windows, and some have a different contour on the lower part of the body. (I remember reading this regarding door interchangeability, but naturally it would apply to lining up with a different front clip as well). It really depends on how far you want to go with the conversion and how “pure” you want the result to look.

The radiator support is different. I compared Huck's '90 support to the Bullnose one that Jonathan brought me and the only obvious difference was the headlight openings. The Bullnose support uses the buckets and has places for the Nylon pads and the springs and adjusting bolts. But the Bricknose has an elongated opening that takes the wraparound headlight/turn signal unit.

Ray's done or is doing the cab swap, and Bill did the interior part for Darth.

The radiator support is different. I compared Huck's '90 support to the Bullnose one that Jonathan brought me and the only obvious difference was the headlight openings. The Bullnose support uses the buckets and has places for the Nylon pads and the springs and adjusting bolts. But the Bricknose has an elongated opening that takes the wraparound headlight/turn signal unit.

Ray's done or is doing the cab swap, and Bill did the interior part for Darth.

Interesting...I no sooner asked the question and I came across an online ad for a local 1995 with an 85 front clip on it. The ad is 25 days old, but the picture was taken only a couple miles from there.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-halifax/1995-ford-f-150-pickup-truck/1341360807?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Interesting...I no sooner asked the question and I came across an online ad for a local 1995 with an 85 front clip on it. The ad is 25 days old, but the picture was taken only a couple miles from there.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-halifax/1995-ford-f-150-pickup-truck/1341360807?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I like the front end of the Bullnose far better than the Bricknose. So that's huge improvement. But, it gives mis-matched wheel well openings unless you also replace the bed/box or swap out the bedsides.

I like the front end of the Bullnose far better than the Bricknose. So that's huge improvement. But, it gives mis-matched wheel well openings unless you also replace the bed/box or swap out the bedsides.

Front fender rear attachment is completely different, bullnose has a vertical bolt into the lower front corner of the cab, bricknose and areonose use a horizontal bolt into a nut clip in a slotted bracket. As has been mentioned, wheel openings are a different shape and the radiator support is different. Inner fenders are slightly different.

Other items, battery tray is different and takes a different battery and hold down, radiator overflow tank is different, front bumper on a bullnose is bolted directly on the frame "horns", headlight wiring is completely different, if you have an EFI truck (most likely scenario) the mounts for the air filter, radiator overflow and washer are not on the left fender inside area.

It can be done, I did the reverse on Darth for some of the reasons mentioned as I was going to EFI from a carbureted 460 and the front fenders were both in bad shape from the PO parking by "feel".

Front fender rear attachment is completely different, bullnose has a vertical bolt into the lower front corner of the cab, bricknose and areonose use a horizontal bolt into a nut clip in a slotted bracket. As has been mentioned, wheel openings are a different shape and the radiator support is different. Inner fenders are slightly different.

Other items, battery tray is different and takes a different battery and hold down, radiator overflow tank is different, front bumper on a bullnose is bolted directly on the frame "horns", headlight wiring is completely different, if you have an EFI truck (most likely scenario) the mounts for the air filter, radiator overflow and washer are not on the left fender inside area.

It can be done, I did the reverse on Darth for some of the reasons mentioned as I was going to EFI from a carbureted 460 and the front fenders were both in bad shape from the PO parking by "feel".

Probably a good time to document the differences.

As said, the lower rear front fender attaching point is quite different.

Here is a Bullnose mounting point.

20180416_080649.jpg.fdebb20f060365b41e3054984c080d52.jpg

And here is a Bullnose fender hanging on a bricknose cab. You can see the probelm, which is easily resolved with a cutoff wheel and a welder.

20180416_080741.jpg.f02c01f1c568c64503c9cd5180c438c1.jpg

The cowl will swap between a Bullnose and Bricknose, but there is quite a difference in the visual appearance. The later cowl can be a good fix for all that debris that seems to make it into the vents.

Bullnose

20180416_080843.jpg.1c06b0a6f83d50983b674d88fd4b4ed0.jpg

Bricknose

20180416_081215.jpg.7fc5aeb98621ce5ca4f157a4df220c9d.jpg

The 92 and up cabs can be used as well, but the hood line is considerably lower, so you would have to use a Bullnose or Bricknose cowl panel.

92 cowl

20180416_081037.jpg.69f9d40f54b33b88d680f321b9386da4.jpg

The bumper attachment is different. The Bullnose bolts through the bumper and the front nose of the frame rail. The Bricknose uses a bracket and attaches to the side of the frame rail. The profile of the nose is quite similar but the Bricknose is not drilled for the bolts.

Bullnose

20180416_080722.jpg.a0b09d66ce993a939b63133611a10776.jpg

Bricknose

20180416_081138.jpg.9e4bf5b5fba4e30607f496c3b7f60938.jpg

The 92 and up frame rail is quite different.

20180416_140734.jpg.2a3de7cabe41b4c0f00c504fb93e0bce.jpg

Best bet here is to cut it off and splice on a Bullnose frame end.

The firewall is quite different between Bullnose and Bricknose cabs. The firewall on a Bullnose is different between A/C and non A/C vehicles. I don't have non A/C Bricknose for comparison, but they are supposed to be the same regardless of HVAC option. The dash mounting is quite different as well. The Bullnose dash is supported along the upper edge by a bracket that includes the center speaker mount. Bricknose and later dashes have a series of plastic inserts in tabs along the cowl at the bottom edge of the windshield that the dash mounts to. VIN plate location is slightly different as well and this affects the windshield. I understand windshields with the VIN window in the Bullnose position are no longer produced. Steering columns will interchange between a Bullnose and a Bricknose, but the 92 and later trucks use a very different column with a large cast bracket on the left side, underneath the dash.

Bullnose (with A/C)

20180416_140609.jpg.64fc260217deb51b7063f68f6889505d.jpg

20180416_140520.jpg.708e0b70a18a7f7dea2d9c9a48c27ccb.jpg

Bricknose

Firewall.jpg.5713a106487d92fbf57176a5feb4b2a8.jpg

Inside_firewall.jpg.b5dc16164456ed9e2b696682d45d819e.jpg

92 and up is completely different again, but the cowl attachment is similar to the Bricknose.

20180416_140655.jpg.04cb9c4213b5a7d32c630b3a35f47c5d.jpg

Doors on a Bullnose are unique. You can fit any door to a Bricknose or later cab, but the Bullnose has some clearance problems in the lower rear corner. I wrote a lengthy post on this in FTE, but here is the differences.

Bullnose

86_door.jpg.3bb44e20e3f736c4a39c4ad2695a0d73.jpg

86_frame.jpg.68a61ee73a954772737888bc52060d0d.jpg

Bricknose

87_door.jpg.f5bb6369143f900a45dd105e0a99a9e6.jpg

87_frame.jpg.9e01524712af66712ab441260c19c8f3.jpg

There are actually quite a few variants of the doors from 80 through 96/7, but this is the only problem with physically interchanging doors and it really only affects the bullnose cabs. Of course, the 92 and up doors have those horrible cable assemblies in the door mechanisms. The earlier rod type mechanism will interchange and I even pull these out of the rusty doors!

Of course, all cabs will bolt to all frames as long as you are talking about the same configuration. Single cab, Super cab, or Crew cab.

There's probably more and I will add revisions later.

Probably a good time to document the differences.

As said, the lower rear front fender attaching point is quite different.

Here is a Bullnose mounting point.

And here is a Bullnose fender hanging on a bricknose cab. You can see the probelm, which is easily resolved with a cutoff wheel and a welder.

The cowl will swap between a Bullnose and Bricknose, but there is quite a difference in the visual appearance. The later cowl can be a good fix for all that debris that seems to make it into the vents.

Bullnose

Bricknose

The 92 and up cabs can be used as well, but the hood line is considerably lower, so you would have to use a Bullnose or Bricknose cowl panel.

92 cowl

The bumper attachment is different. The Bullnose bolts through the bumper and the front nose of the frame rail. The Bricknose uses a bracket and attaches to the side of the frame rail. The profile of the nose is quite similar but the Bricknose is not drilled for the bolts.

Bullnose

Bricknose

The 92 and up frame rail is quite different.

Best bet here is to cut it off and splice on a Bullnose frame end.

The firewall is quite different between Bullnose and Bricknose cabs. The firewall on a Bullnose is different between A/C and non A/C vehicles. I don't have non A/C Bricknose for comparison, but they are supposed to be the same regardless of HVAC option. The dash mounting is quite different as well. The Bullnose dash is supported along the upper edge by a bracket that includes the center speaker mount. Bricknose and later dashes have a series of plastic inserts in tabs along the cowl at the bottom edge of the windshield that the dash mounts to. VIN plate location is slightly different as well and this affects the windshield. I understand windshields with the VIN window in the Bullnose position are no longer produced. Steering columns will interchange between a Bullnose and a Bricknose, but the 92 and later trucks use a very different column with a large cast bracket on the left side, underneath the dash.

Bullnose (with A/C)

Bricknose

92 and up is completely different again, but the cowl attachment is similar to the Bricknose.

Doors on a Bullnose are unique. You can fit any door to a Bricknose or later cab, but the Bullnose has some clearance problems in the lower rear corner. I wrote a lengthy post on this in FTE, but here is the differences.

Bullnose

Bricknose

There are actually quite a few variants of the doors from 80 through 96/7, but this is the only problem with physically interchanging doors and it really only affects the bullnose cabs. Of course, the 92 and up doors have those horrible cable assemblies in the door mechanisms. The earlier rod type mechanism will interchange and I even pull these out of the rusty doors!

Of course, all cabs will bolt to all frames as long as you are talking about the same configuration. Single cab, Super cab, or Crew cab.

There's probably more and I will add revisions later.

I'm going to have to come back in here and edit. My lengthy post did not show up as written!

Sorry, but out of time for now, will be back later.

- deleted -

Fixed up the original post!