Bullnose Forums

New member with 2 trucks

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the group! I have a soft spot for the 80/81’s and I am a fan of the 6.9/7.3 IDI’s so naturally I think you have a great pair of trucks 🙂. What kind of noise are you hearing on the 6.9?

Kinda of a thud, I wouldn't call it a definite knock. And it isn't constant.

Little back story, original owner was going down the freeway, said he heard a loud noise and the motor locked up. He had the truck towed to a yard and tried turning over the motor with a wrench, wouldn't turn over. I buy the truck have it towed to me , walk over to the truck and just for giggles I try to start the truck.

Well to my surprise it fired right up after setting since August . I turned the truck off right away. I started it again and then I could here the thud in the motor. Oil pressure shows 60lbs.

I haven't messed with it since then, I did go buy a "ran good when pulled" 6.9 this morning just in case,

Kinda of a thud, I wouldn't call it a definite knock. And it isn't constant.

Little back story, original owner was going down the freeway, said he heard a loud noise and the motor locked up. He had the truck towed to a yard and tried turning over the motor with a wrench, wouldn't turn over. I buy the truck have it towed to me , walk over to the truck and just for giggles I try to start the truck.

Well to my surprise it fired right up after setting since August . I turned the truck off right away. I started it again and then I could here the thud in the motor. Oil pressure shows 60lbs.

I haven't messed with it since then, I did go buy a "ran good when pulled" 6.9 this morning just in case,

The 6.9’s have a really crappy aluminum rocker arm retainer that bridges the rockers for intake and exhaust. They like to break. My guess is that one let go and jammed a valve into the cylinder. The piston clearance is only like .045”, so it wouldn’t take much to prevent the engine from turning over. That thud is probably a valve that isn’t opening. I’ve heard that when mine oil starved from a broken oil gauge tube and the lifters collapsed. Pull the valve covers and see if anything is amiss. If you have a broken retainer I would recommend replacing all of the rocker arms with the ‘87+ style (7.3’s). It is a significant upgrade, and all replacement parts are of this type anyway. Might not be your problem but it’s a guess. The fact that it started and ran is a good sign that you didn’t drop a valve, but I wouldn’t run it any more until you check that out. You might get lucky and just need valve train parts. Let’s hope... 🤞

Edit: first read through I missed the point that it locked up while running down the freeway... that’s not so good. ☹️. Still might get lucky but there is greatly increases chance of a cracked piston if it was running... at the very least you will want a compression check...

The 6.9’s have a really crappy aluminum rocker arm retainer that bridges the rockers for intake and exhaust. They like to break. My guess is that one let go and jammed a valve into the cylinder. The piston clearance is only like .045”, so it wouldn’t take much to prevent the engine from turning over. That thud is probably a valve that isn’t opening. I’ve heard that when mine oil starved from a broken oil gauge tube and the lifters collapsed. Pull the valve covers and see if anything is amiss. If you have a broken retainer I would recommend replacing all of the rocker arms with the ‘87+ style (7.3’s). It is a significant upgrade, and all replacement parts are of this type anyway. Might not be your problem but it’s a guess. The fact that it started and ran is a good sign that you didn’t drop a valve, but I wouldn’t run it any more until you check that out. You might get lucky and just need valve train parts. Let’s hope... 🤞

Edit: first read through I missed the point that it locked up while running down the freeway... that’s not so good. ☹️. Still might get lucky but there is greatly increases chance of a cracked piston if it was running... at the very least you will want a compression check...

So I took my 85 F250 to a mechanic to look at the engine issue. He called and left a message for me, telling me there is a large hole in the oil pan and didn't investigate any further.

I picked up another motor for this purpose, so the are going over it, resealing it, and going to transfer my parts, water pump, injection pump, injectors,glow plugs and all the tin wear. I hope this motor is good enough to last a while.

Picture of the vent in the oil pan.

IMG_20180418_165212.jpg.e762fed69e4d0e6142ab0ab7ad0823ba.jpg

So I took my 85 F250 to a mechanic to look at the engine issue. He called and left a message for me, telling me there is a large hole in the oil pan and didn't investigate any further.

I picked up another motor for this purpose, so the are going over it, resealing it, and going to transfer my parts, water pump, injection pump, injectors,glow plugs and all the tin wear. I hope this motor is good enough to last a while.

Picture of the vent in the oil pan.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Hopefully your donor engine is in good shape.

:nabble_smiley_sad:

JB weld and duct tape oughtta fix that right up...:nabble_anim_blbl:

So I got my 85 f250 back from the engine swap. It runs well, seems the swapped motor may hold up. I am having a few issues I need to address, not with the motor though

I took it on a decent shake down run out through the country, shows some decent acceleration in 4th gear. Got it up around 70mph at times, mostly just cruising it around in 4th.

IMG_20180425_181122.jpg.9cdb0bf3919b89bd2371ef8ec5ba217f.jpg

So I got my 85 f250 back from the engine swap. It runs well, seems the swapped motor may hold up. I am having a few issues I need to address, not with the motor though

I took it on a decent shake down run out through the country, shows some decent acceleration in 4th gear. Got it up around 70mph at times, mostly just cruising it around in 4th.

Yippee! Glad that appears to have worked out well. Gotta be a good feeling. I know how I felt the other day when I got Big Blue's fuel leak fixed and can use him again.