Bullnose Forums

Finally brought the bullnose home

meinlaster.jpg.e1cf55726ba5882c5c3ab386795d9bfa.jpg

Today I finalized the deal and brought this beauty home. It is a 1986 F150 XL, sgl. cab, short box, 5.0 L EFI, 4 WD.

You might have followed my story in the new members folder: It took the last 5 weeks to register her here in Germany for the first time. She spent most of her life in Virginia and was shipped Rotterdam (the Netherlands) in February / March this year to be transferred to Germany to the location of the importer / seller. The seller had to rebuilt some elements (yellow turning lights, etc.), get it in front of the German technical inspection group (TÜV) for a full technical compliance check to receive the German paperwork to be finally able to register her here in Germany. She is now registered in the Koblenz area and I will re-register here in my area next Monday. Then I should be able to fully enjoy driving her until the next technical inspection required in two years time

Given that she is 32 years old and in good condition she qualifies for a H (historical) registration which makes life easier with our emission restricted areas (mainly city centers). I was also able to get an Oldtimer Insurance which is based on her market value and not on her time value. This was somewhat difficult because the insurers pre-requisite is a locked overnight parking place, ideally a garage. The big thing however does´t fit into a standard sized German garage. Luckily I found an insurer with an exception.

All in all I am now a happy man and look forward to many miles with a smile in my face when cruising the area. Will keep you posted

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulation. Very nice looking truck. Looking forward to seeing more pictures and details.

F150_1.thumb.jpg.198f55f54e9175ba6129dd81b87a200e.jpg

F150_2.thumb.jpg.789febc3fc511f1c1be9dfca18c86036.jpg

F150_4.thumb.jpg.f7243937b2452f124c295c3dbecb130d.jpg

F150_6.thumb.jpg.cd9b30293e52d0a53bf53c406daaaad5.jpg

here are a few more images for the details. The truck is actually well maintained and I guess somewhat re-stored although I don´t have any documented evidence for this. Nothing to do in my view other than enjoying the ride and keeping the fluids on level. Hopefully no surprises here.

I guess though that I will upgrade the headlights if possible and need to check the lights in the Odometer and Gauges since that area is very dark after sunset despite turning the dimmer as much as possible. So if anybody has recommendations or something to share to put Xenon or LEDs into the headlights I would appreciate your input.

I am also after a campershell or hardtop for the short box. If there is any out there in good condition and for sale please let me know. Other than that no plans or projects yet.

Gary, I am impressed with your German language skills. Yes it is a "vice" but also a short form for truck, actually a play with words. Guess this is why people say that German is difficult. Das Laster is a vice and Der Laster is jargon for Lastkraftwagen which is a truck.

here are a few more images for the details. The truck is actually well maintained and I guess somewhat re-stored although I don´t have any documented evidence for this. Nothing to do in my view other than enjoying the ride and keeping the fluids on level. Hopefully no surprises here.

I guess though that I will upgrade the headlights if possible and need to check the lights in the Odometer and Gauges since that area is very dark after sunset despite turning the dimmer as much as possible. So if anybody has recommendations or something to share to put Xenon or LEDs into the headlights I would appreciate your input.

I am also after a campershell or hardtop for the short box. If there is any out there in good condition and for sale please let me know. Other than that no plans or projects yet.

Gary, I am impressed with your German language skills. Yes it is a "vice" but also a short form for truck, actually a play with words. Guess this is why people say that German is difficult. Das Laster is a vice and Der Laster is jargon for Lastkraftwagen which is a truck.

Love the truck! The short-beds just look so nice, well proportioned. And that one looks really clean. I'm not sure it has been restored, just very well maintained.

On lighting upgrades, I have a thread on that called, oddly enough, Lighting Upgrades.

But that doesn't speak to the dash/instrument lighting, and that is covered a bit in the thread Conversation With Bill O'Neil - Mr HiPo Parts. I've not gotten the LED samples from Bill yet so can't tell you how good they are. However, I will remind him and see if I can get them to test and let y'all know. I think white ones would be preferable to the blue ones I currently have, and his that are designed for "around" lighting rather than "projecting" should be the best way to go.

As for the German, thanks for the clarification. I no just enough to get me into trouble, but am happy to learn. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Beautiful Truck! Gratuliere! I remember how difficult it was to pass inspections in Germany when I lived in Spangdahlem for four years. My deutsche is lacking since I haven't used it in 10+ years.

I've done lighting an LED upgrade to the headlights, all exterior and the whole interior.

If you run into a snag or have questions, just ask. :nabble_smiley_good:

Beautiful Truck! Gratuliere! I remember how difficult it was to pass inspections in Germany when I lived in Spangdahlem for four years. My deutsche is lacking since I haven't used it in 10+ years.I've done lighting an LED upgrade to the headlights, all exterior and the whole interior.If you run into a snag or have questions, just ask. :nabble_smiley_good:
Sounds that you have been here with the airforce / army and were located in my favorite motorbiking area, the Eifel. A bit abandoned but beautiful and full of curves, bends, ups and downs.

Regarding the LED upgrade: Did you completely replace the reflector and bulb with a kit like this (http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=78) or did you replace the bulb only? Any mods required for the power supply?

For the other lights I would be interested to get some insight and details on the what and how.

Thanks in advance

Jochen

From: Pebcak [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] [mailto:redacted_email_address]

Sent: Montag, 16. April 2018 17:32

To: Tillmann, Jochen [CONDE] <redacted_email_address>

Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Finally brought the bullnose home

Beautiful Truck! Gratuliere!  I remember how difficult it was to pass inspections in Germany when I lived in Spangdahlem for four years.  My deutsche is lacking since I haven't used it in 10+ years.

I've done lighting an LED upgrade to the headlights, all exterior and the whole interior.

If you run into a snag or have questions, just ask. WRD150.jpg.6f5327afba92ad207809b0c858983f27.jpg

"Daily Driver" 1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, Edelbrock Carb swapped from the Holley

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Finally-brought-the-bullnose-home-tp9865p9948.html

To unsubscribe from Finally brought the bullnose home,click here.

NAML