Bullnose Forums

460 Coolant Contamination Concerns

kramttocs

Hi, I am new on this site but I have a lot of experience with 429/460 engines. Looking at the picture of the stuff on your finger, I am wondering if it could be rust. Even after hot tanking, and /or shake and bake cleaning there can still be some rust in the block. These blocks are 40+ years old, I've seen the bottom parts of these blocks with solid rust in them. Even after cleaning, there is no guarantee that ALL of the rust or scale is completely gone.

If the smoke you see from the exhaust is from coolant, then you should notice a sweet smell to it, as well as a loss of coolant. You could also pull the spark plugs and see how they look, also, if you detect anything from looking at your plugs a compression and a leak down test could be next.

I like to start with easiest and least expensive tests first, a cooling system pressure check with the engine cold, and again with the engine hot. The hydrocarbon check is also a good check but if coolant is getting into the combustion chamber, you still need to know where the problem is, the spark plugs should tell a story.

I hope this helps,

Thanks Staci.

I think it is just rust. The mason jar has been sitting for a couple days and everything brown is at the bottom and the top is nice and green.

I ordered some cleaner so once I get all my wiring changes buttoned up, I'll do a few flush cycles.

Will check the plugs during that process as well.

Thanks Staci.

I think it is just rust. The mason jar has been sitting for a couple days and everything brown is at the bottom and the top is nice and green.

I ordered some cleaner so once I get all my wiring changes buttoned up, I'll do a few flush cycles.

Will check the plugs during that process as well.

I am glad to hear that. The last thing anyone wants is a problem with a new engine.