Bullnose Forums

351 coolant leak

Good point, Ken. I've seen that as well but didn't think about it being a source of the leak.

Gsmblue - The aluminum intakes corrode pretty badly there on the ends if the coolant isn't changed routinely. It is due to the interface of dissimilar metals in the presence of a liquid. So the liquid, in this case coolant, has to have corrosion inhibitors, and they go away over time.

I had a really good look at the intake. It does seem to originate there and not at the thermostat.

Both side of the distributor show signs of leaking. There is an Edelbrock performer intake there so I will order up the replacement gasket today.

Thanks for the tip!!

I had a really good look at the intake. It does seem to originate there and not at the thermostat.

Both side of the distributor show signs of leaking. There is an Edelbrock performer intake there so I will order up the replacement gasket today.

Thanks for the tip!!

When you pull the intake take a really good look at its coolant passage. It is at the front of the intake and connects the coolant in the heads. If the coolant hasn't been kept up to snuff the aluminum intake will corrode at the interface to the head and you'll have a hard, if not impossible, time sealing it.

Brandon/Bruno2 sealed up an intake by cleaning it really well and then laying in JBWeld into the corroded spots, dressing that back with a file, and doing it again until the surfaces were smooth.

When you pull the intake take a really good look at its coolant passage. It is at the front of the intake and connects the coolant in the heads. If the coolant hasn't been kept up to snuff the aluminum intake will corrode at the interface to the head and you'll have a hard, if not impossible, time sealing it.

Brandon/Bruno2 sealed up an intake by cleaning it really well and then laying in JBWeld into the corroded spots, dressing that back with a file, and doing it again until the surfaces were smooth.

Thanks for the heads up. Hoping to get this pulled off in the next day or two

Jochen - If we are going to much troubleshooting on your truck we should start a thread for it and not hijack this one. I can do that for you if you want and move this response there. But, I'll give you my thoughts, briefly, here.

The only overflow is from the radiator's neck into the coolant recovery bottle. Sometimes that hose between them is bad and leaks. Or, you have a hose clamp loose on either radiator hose or one of the heater hoses. Next is a leak at the thermostat housing at the engine end of the upper radiator hose. Then there's the little bypass hose between the water pump and the engine. Worst is a leak at the front or rear of the intake manifold.

As said, to take this any further I can start a thread for you and move your post and mine there.

Thanks Gary, for the time being this is helpful enough and in future I will open a separate thread if needed to become more effective in the follow up in the forum. I however appreciate all your (and the other members) support and thoughts. Jochen

Thanks for the heads up. Hoping to get this pulled off in the next day or two

The thermostat on the W actually twists and snaps in the housing. When people don't know this they try to tighten it down when it's not seated properly. This almost always breaks the cast aluminum.