Bullnose Forums

Power Steering Pump Compatibility

Question: Seems I'm getting some bearing noise (a scraping noise, doesn't change with load) from my power steering pump.

I have a used pump off a 1995 Ranger. Other than the bracket and the pulley, since both pumps are CII's, they're interchangeable?

Not looking to go to the time, trouble, and expense of a saginaw swap. Other than this bearing issue, the stock system worked fine for my uses.

According to our page at Documentation/Interchange/Steering the pumps interchange from 1978 - 86. So apparently not. However, if you have the pump I'd give it a try. Pull the pulley and see if it will fit the '95 pump. If so, inspect the connectors and see if they look like they'll fit. If so, give it a try.

According to our page at Documentation/Interchange/Steering the pumps interchange from 1978 - 86. So apparently not. However, if you have the pump I'd give it a try. Pull the pulley and see if it will fit the '95 pump. If so, inspect the connectors and see if they look like they'll fit. If so, give it a try.

I ran into a situation on Darth when I went to use the C2 pump from the 1990 Parts truck, the pressure fitting was metric where the 1986 was US standard. I just changed the hose as it was probably the original.

I ran into a situation on Darth when I went to use the C2 pump from the 1990 Parts truck, the pressure fitting was metric where the 1986 was US standard. I just changed the hose as it was probably the original.

Good point, Bill.

And it is REALLY hard to tell some of the metric connections from the SAE connections. Some of them are almost the same and the only way I've been able to tell is to use a thread pitch gauge and dial indicator.

So, be really careful as the later pump is likely to have metric fittings.