Bullnose Forums

Tail light issues

Tyler

That sounds like you have a flakey connection somewhere that quit when the truck was moved.

There is a ground tab on the ground from the battery to the engine. The tab bolts in the frame on the crossmember by the motor mount. Check it and see if it is there as that is the ONLY battery to chassie ground. If it is there, it might need to be cleaned. If it is not there, it needs to be.DSCN0668.jpg.0145be8454d9e8adbf4c25ef39635a5e.jpg

There is a ground tab on the ground from the battery to the engine. The tab bolts in the frame on the crossmember by the motor mount. Check it and see if it is there as that is the ONLY battery to chassie ground. If it is there, it might need to be cleaned. If it is not there, it needs to be.
Thanks.  Yes, that one is definitely there, freshly wire wheeled and lugs cleaned.

I found a tail light bulb that was most likely shorted based on the glass twisting freely in the metal socket.  Replaced.

Also, picking up a new turn signal switch in a couple of hours.  Old one already removed.  Looked pretty worn.  I checked the flasher relay and it worked.

Had a blown fuse.  Still looking for any wires that have shorted.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021, 1:40 PM old55pete [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Ok, final post for closure. Everything works and better than ever.

I removed, cleaned and tightened the ground to frame under the hood as well as the ground to body behind the radio. Cut out and replaced every wire splice behind the dash from POs using good quality heat shrink butt connectors. There were many. Capped off 2 hot wires back there and organized the rats nest using zip ties like I should have done the first time I opened up the dash two years ago.

Replaced the turn signal module in the steering column. Found 2 PO taps into this wiring harness...

The OEM connectors for the reverse light and the rear lights were disassembled, cleaned and a small amount of dielectric grease added.

Replaced rear taillight bulbs (one was shorted to itself and the glass was freely spinning).

The main solid black wire ground connector (which feeds back to the dash) that is with the taillight connector was visibly deranged from overheating but had indication that it was a good connection. So I replaced it with a nice waterproof aftermarket one anyway.

Removed any custom grounds that I put in.

Again, thanks for the help and crowd support. I learned a lot and the electric schematic diagrams in the documentation section are excellent.

On to the next thing...

Ok, final post for closure. Everything works and better than ever.

I removed, cleaned and tightened the ground to frame under the hood as well as the ground to body behind the radio. Cut out and replaced every wire splice behind the dash from POs using good quality heat shrink butt connectors. There were many. Capped off 2 hot wires back there and organized the rats nest using zip ties like I should have done the first time I opened up the dash two years ago.

Replaced the turn signal module in the steering column. Found 2 PO taps into this wiring harness...

The OEM connectors for the reverse light and the rear lights were disassembled, cleaned and a small amount of dielectric grease added.

Replaced rear taillight bulbs (one was shorted to itself and the glass was freely spinning).

The main solid black wire ground connector (which feeds back to the dash) that is with the taillight connector was visibly deranged from overheating but had indication that it was a good connection. So I replaced it with a nice waterproof aftermarket one anyway.

Removed any custom grounds that I put in.

Again, thanks for the help and crowd support. I learned a lot and the electric schematic diagrams in the documentation section are excellent.

On to the next thing...

Excellent! :nabble_anim_claps:

Excellent! :nabble_anim_claps:

Tyler, thank you for adding in the internaly shorted light bulb. I used to deal with them alot in the past as I am a semi mechanic. I will have to admit that the shorted bulb went over my head because semi's have mostly gone to led lights and and that never shows up. thanks for the reminder.