Bullnose Forums

Backyard Bullnose finds, good and bad

Curvy stick is a NP435 4 sp.

Was the NP435 common behind the 300/6?

One of the Flareside 4x4 trucks I looked at last week had a 302, and it had a different stick again. It had some bends in it, but wasn't as curvy as the NP435.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curvy stick is a NP435 4 sp.

Was the NP435 common behind the 300/6?

One of the Flareside 4x4 trucks I looked at last week had a 302, and it had a different stick again. It had some bends in it, but wasn't as curvy as the NP435.

Yes, the NP and 300 were a common combo. Good workhorse combo.

The 302's didn't have much torque so they could put the lighter-duty transmissions behind them. But the 300 had enough torque to work. However, because they were the base engine you see them set up two different ways. First, for economy with high-geared rear ends and a light-duty OD tranny. Or, as a low-priced work truck with the heavier-duty tranny like the NP and something like a 3.50 rear axle ratio.

As for the tools required the shift lever from one, strength and a disregard for pain. It is a PAIN! The instructions are on Page 4 here (Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/NP435, and they call for a special tool - Kent-Moore J3108. But I've done it with several rags and a pair of gloves to protect my fingers. You push down HARD and turn the cap and it unlocks. Eventually.

OK, one more quick question then...how is the rubber boot attached to the tunnel cover? Phillips head screws? If I can get back there I might grab the stick out of this thing, and I might as well grab the boot if it's still intact and undamaged.

As for the tools required the shift lever from one, strength and a disregard for pain. It is a PAIN! The instructions are on Page 4 here (Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/NP435, and they call for a special tool - Kent-Moore J3108. But I've done it with several rags and a pair of gloves to protect my fingers. You push down HARD and turn the cap and it unlocks. Eventually.

OK, one more quick question then...how is the rubber boot attached to the tunnel cover? Phillips head screws? If I can get back there I might grab the stick out of this thing, and I might as well grab the boot if it's still intact and undamaged.

This isn't the NP, but I don't find one for the NP and think they were done this way:

Boot.jpg.9077b03075fb9f1538c8f6e3769ecbd6.jpg

And the AMK Products catalog says the 52743-S screw is:

52743-S.jpg.19c4bbaca9eff774c0751a6e6f42c9c9.jpg

• 1 month later...

I find it interesting that the Flareside is/was so popular "up there"...

Hey Reamer,

Check out this Flareside in Quebec;).

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-voiture-collection/laval-rive-nord/camion-antique/1361963049?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Man, it is amazing how those fender skirts make the rear of that truck look fat. At first glance I thought it is a DRW Flareside. :nabble_smiley_oh:

And, the saying about "There is no accounting for taste" left out a bit - "or the lack thereof".

Man, it is amazing how those fender skirts make the rear of that truck look fat. At first glance I thought it is a DRW Flareside. :nabble_smiley_oh:

And, the saying about "There is no accounting for taste" left out a bit - "or the lack thereof".

All I can say is :nabble_smiley_argh: