Bullnose Forums

Backyard Bullnose finds, good and bad

I looks like I've sealed a deal on another Flareside bed. It is complete, minus the wood floor of course. It has already been disassembled, and it does need some work on the steel sides/lips and the lower skirts, but I think it will be OK. The fenders, steps & brackets, and tail gate all appear to be in very nice condition (via pictures). Picking it up Thursday night, and it's a long drive to go get it.

Now...do I actually need another Flareside box? No...not really. My plan is to take my time and work on rehabbing the bad spots, and get it ready for paint/installation. This is mainly so I can get started on it without taking my truck out of service. Second reason is potentially finding another truck down the road that I may want to convert into a Flareside. If not then I'll sell the 2nd Flareside bed...I don't think I'd lose any money on it.

But....since I've been doing some backyard hunting for all this junk, I was actually just contacted by a guy that has an '84 Flareside 2wd w/302 4spd that he is interested in selling. I'm stopping in to see it on Wednesday while on one of my work trips.

I don't need another truck either....but it doesn't hurt to go look, right?...lol.

No, it doesn't hurt to look. And I'm unanimous on that. (Are You Being Served.) :nabble_smiley_wink:

You are going to be Mr. Flareside. And I agree that you need a work truck to use while you are restoring another. I'm unanimous on that as well. :nabble_smiley_evil:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it doesn't hurt to look. And I'm unanimous on that. (Are You Being Served.) :nabble_smiley_wink:

You are going to be Mr. Flareside. And I agree that you need a work truck to use while you are restoring another. I'm unanimous on that as well. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Thanks for the support Gary! This bullnose stuff is very therapeutic for me.;)

Thanks for the support Gary! This bullnose stuff is very therapeutic for me.;)

Most Bullnose work is therapeutic for me as well. But, I will confess that laying under Big Blue today (couldn't get him in the shop) and getting greasy due to the oil leaks wasn't the most fun I've had in a while. However, the fact that the gas leak is fixed is a big plus.

Stopped to see the other Flareside truck today, and while it did run and drive, it was too far gone for me otherwise. However, it was a nice drive in the countryside to an area I hadn't traveled before, so that was cool. The guy had a couple other Bullnose parts trucks to go with it, but I wouldn't have room for all that even if I did want it. My wife would kill me in my sleep;).

Funny, traveling out in the country, one sees all kinds of old trucks stuffed away in back yards. I noticed two Bullnoses today, rusting away in back yards. They were nothing that I wanted, so they were easy to dismiss at a glance when driving by. But still, they're out there.

Anyway...off to pick up the Flareside box tomorrow. Will see what else I can scratch up for junk while traveling the wilds of the east coast;).

Stopped to see the other Flareside truck today, and while it did run and drive, it was too far gone for me otherwise. However, it was a nice drive in the countryside to an area I hadn't traveled before, so that was cool. The guy had a couple other Bullnose parts trucks to go with it, but I wouldn't have room for all that even if I did want it. My wife would kill me in my sleep;).

Funny, traveling out in the country, one sees all kinds of old trucks stuffed away in back yards. I noticed two Bullnoses today, rusting away in back yards. They were nothing that I wanted, so they were easy to dismiss at a glance when driving by. But still, they're out there.

Anyway...off to pick up the Flareside box tomorrow. Will see what else I can scratch up for junk while traveling the wilds of the east coast;).

Keep looking and you'll find something. But don't go for something you don't want. :nabble_smiley_good:

Keep looking and you'll find something. But don't go for something you don't want. :nabble_smiley_good:

Looked at two more backyard Bullnose Flaresides today. They're in really poor condition. Rusted out like you wouldn't believe. The one truck even had the left hand A-pillar rusted completely out. No floors, nothing. The truck on the left was surprisingly complete. 1981 4x4 Flareside with 302 and 4spd trans.

I wonder how badly the front and rear diffs rust? I'm thinking about the seal surfaces and places like that...the rust would have to creep in there after a while. I'd like to have a good complete 4x4 drivetrain for a short wheel base.

IMG_4456_(Medium).jpg.cb291364867d7b11c27af60d5043d5e5.jpg

Looked at two more backyard Bullnose Flaresides today. They're in really poor condition. Rusted out like you wouldn't believe. The one truck even had the left hand A-pillar rusted completely out. No floors, nothing. The truck on the left was surprisingly complete. 1981 4x4 Flareside with 302 and 4spd trans.

I wonder how badly the front and rear diffs rust? I'm thinking about the seal surfaces and places like that...the rust would have to creep in there after a while. I'd like to have a good complete 4x4 drivetrain for a short wheel base.

I think the diff's, transmissions, drive shafts, and transfer cases should be relatively rust-free. And the front swing arms.

I think the diff's, transmissions, drive shafts, and transfer cases should be relatively rust-free. And the front swing arms.

Yeah, maybe so. I know the drive shafts were really rusty, and even the shifter sticks were rusted brown.

Kind of a catch-22. You'd have to pay to pull the truck out and get it to an area where you could jack it up and inspect it, only to find out the stuff is no good. Oh well, that is the way it goes.

I talked to another guy today that has an 81 Bullnose Flareside 2wd and it has been stored in a barn, untouched for a decade. He is pulling it out this weekend as the property is being sold, and the truck has to go. He says it's in decent condition for its age, but not mint. Wood floor was removed when it was put away.

Has a small block in it with auto trans. Didn't know if it was a 302 or 351.

Yeah, maybe so. I know the drive shafts were really rusty, and even the shifter sticks were rusted brown.

Kind of a catch-22. You'd have to pay to pull the truck out and get it to an area where you could jack it up and inspect it, only to find out the stuff is no good. Oh well, that is the way it goes.

I talked to another guy today that has an 81 Bullnose Flareside 2wd and it has been stored in a barn, untouched for a decade. He is pulling it out this weekend as the property is being sold, and the truck has to go. He says it's in decent condition for its age, but not mint. Wood floor was removed when it was put away.

Has a small block in it with auto trans. Didn't know if it was a 302 or 351.

I find it interesting that the Flareside is/was so popular "up there" with numerous carcasses to pick from, where around here in the New England states they are as rare as hens teeth....

I sold a cracked pair of fenders for $700and the guy didn't even blink.

Cory, I'm thinking I need to rent a van and bring back a truck full of fenders as a retirement source!:nabble_smiley_good:

Cory, I'm thinking I need to rent a van and bring back a truck full of fenders as a retirement source!:nabble_smiley_good:

It is interesting. I don't remember seeing all that many Flaresides around in the 80's, but then again in the 1980's up here, my world was pretty small. I have two extra sets of fenders now, and I know where there are two more loose sets locally. One guy has just a set of fenders with steps still attached, and another guy has a project Flareside with an extra set of fenders just loose. On top of that, I've now found 3 backyard carcasses which more or less counts for 3 more sets of fenders since the trucks themselves are rust buckets.

If I thought I could sell them I'd be buying them up myself! I have found a few running/driving trucks too that weren't advertised for sale, but that the sellers would sell.

What I personally find interesting is that two of the three carcasses I've found were 4x4 trucks. There may indeed have been a bunch of Flaresides around years ago, but the 4x4 models would have been rare.

I have my eye on an '80 4x4 about 5 hours north. The truck is not currently for sale, but it may be in the future. It needs an engine, and I've let the guy know that I'd be interested in the truck either way if he decides to sell it.