Bullnose Forums

Backyard Bullnose finds, good and bad

Good find and quite a bargain! As you are finding out, the grey weave with the silver edging was a one-year deal in 1984. The 85/86 grey weave without the silver edging can be painted, but the beads are not quite as wide. It will still match better than leaving them black though.

I was not aware of that 84 dash being a one-year only deal, but I am now.:nabble_smiley_good:

And yes sir, you are right the beads are different. The 85 readio bezel looks like it will be harder to paint/color, but I'll give it a try. Otherwise I'll have to wait until I find a matching dash bezel. (Sure wish I grabbed the one out of that 86 at the pick and pull before they crushed it...lol).

Thanks for the help!

Finding a matching 85/86 grey weave instrument bezel will be easier than finding a good 84 radio bezel. I have one I could give you, but the indicator lenses are kind of rough so it probably isn’t worth the price to ship it. The skinny beads paint just fine... I did some test painting on a junk ‘86 burlwood bezel. They just won’t exactly match the instrument bezel. I can keep my eye out for a good ‘84 radio bezel, but it will be a knob & shaft radio opening, not DIN.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finding a matching 85/86 grey weave instrument bezel will be easier than finding a good 84 radio bezel. I have one I could give you, but the indicator lenses are kind of rough so it probably isn’t worth the price to ship it. The skinny beads paint just fine... I did some test painting on a junk ‘86 burlwood bezel. They just won’t exactly match the instrument bezel. I can keep my eye out for a good ‘84 radio bezel, but it will be a knob & shaft radio opening, not DIN.

Thanks Jon! I was specifically looking for the 85/86 DIN bezel. This one...being 5 bucks is worth the risk of me ruining it trying to color the edging/trim. It doesn't need to be perfect at all...it just has to match at a glance...most people would never notice the difference anyway. I need to maintain some of the patina here...I can't make things too nice...lol. I'm going to try it tonight, and I'll let you guys know how it works out.

This actually works out pretty well for me, because I didn't want to pay the Ebay prices for a complete 85/86 dash set...nor for a single radio bezel for that matter. Where this one is out of a plain truck like mine, I think I'll get it to match close enough...it's just going to be a matter of coloring that rounded edge (as opposed to the square/flat edging on my 1984 piece).

Ok, so I have to say this worked out much better than I expected! Here is the freshly Sharpied bead trim on my 85 radio bezel next to my 84 radio delete bezel. I guess the only question I have is: Is the little bead surrounding the radio opening supposed to be in silver also? I guess it probably doesn't matter much...I'm not going for anything "factory correct" here....I just want it to look like it's a matched set (and even then, just at a glance). However, I think it turned out great for a $5 bezel that I scrubbed with Spray-9 and a toothbrush for half and hour to clean...lol.

IMG_5757.jpg.b90becf28376fa47c9c953fbb3779d41.jpg

IMG_5758.jpg.3b51273d6450dc73cf394ec8a324292a.jpg

IMG_5759.jpg.adef3755aa2aa01b122e05cafbfc635e.jpg

I don't even have a stereo yet...that will come this winter, but for 5 bucks and the cost of a 2-pack of silver Sharpie pens (also 5 bucks) I have washed away the potential guilt of cutting a hole in my radio delete bezel (not that it even mattered, really).

Ok, so I have to say this worked out much better than I expected! Here is the freshly Sharpied bead trim on my 85 radio bezel next to my 84 radio delete bezel. I guess the only question I have is: Is the little bead surrounding the radio opening supposed to be in silver also? I guess it probably doesn't matter much...I'm not going for anything "factory correct" here....I just want it to look like it's a matched set (and even then, just at a glance). However, I think it turned out great for a $5 bezel that I scrubbed with Spray-9 and a toothbrush for half and hour to clean...lol.

I don't even have a stereo yet...that will come this winter, but for 5 bucks and the cost of a 2-pack of silver Sharpie pens (also 5 bucks) I have washed away the potential guilt of cutting a hole in my radio delete bezel (not that it even mattered, really).

Looks great, Cory. :nabble_smiley_good: I applaud saving the radio-delete bezel, and this one looks very good.

Yes, nice job! It looks good, and will certainly match “at a glance”. Whether the radio opening should get the silver edging is a matter of taste on your part. The knob and shaft version has a silver frame but the whole area is obviously different. If you try it and don’t like it, 90% isopropyl should take it right back off.

Yes, nice job! It looks good, and will certainly match “at a glance”. Whether the radio opening should get the silver edging is a matter of taste on your part. The knob and shaft version has a silver frame but the whole area is obviously different. If you try it and don’t like it, 90% isopropyl should take it right back off.

:nabble_smiley_good:

• 5 months later...

So...back to the backyard Bullnose hunting!

I stopped to look at this old girl today. It's a 1980 F100 that the owner is looking to get rid of the drivetrain and chassis. He is building a hotrod with the body on a different (CV) frame.

This thing is a bare bones stripper! It is a 300/6 with 3-on-the-tree manual trans, manual steering and manual brakes. The interior is nice too...idiot lights instead of gauges, but it does have a radio and antenna, so it had at least one option installed.

IMG_7299_(Large).jpg.c43b2ad1cf9eee7b79c24c96527e103a.jpg

IMG_7296_(Large).jpg.a1963f5264f6aea10fc0f708fc36b929.jpg

I've been casually looking for a 300/6, but they're pretty rare around here. This one is cheap, but it has issues. Believed to have been run/overheated and then possibly hydrolocked.

So...back to the backyard Bullnose hunting!

I stopped to look at this old girl today. It's a 1980 F100 that the owner is looking to get rid of the drivetrain and chassis. He is building a hotrod with the body on a different (CV) frame.

This thing is a bare bones stripper! It is a 300/6 with 3-on-the-tree manual trans, manual steering and manual brakes. The interior is nice too...idiot lights instead of gauges, but it does have a radio and antenna, so it had at least one option installed.

I've been casually looking for a 300/6, but they're pretty rare around here. This one is cheap, but it has issues. Believed to have been run/overheated and then possibly hydrolocked.

The "3 on the tree" parts would be wanted by some. Some of the parts are obsolete.

And the Duraspark wiring harness, distributor and carburetor.

Time to time, people are seeking that type of mirrors.

What about the tailgate? And bed?

The "3 on the tree" parts would be wanted by some. Some of the parts are obsolete.

And the Duraspark wiring harness, distributor and carburetor.

Time to time, people are seeking that type of mirrors.

What about the tailgate? And bed?

He is keeping the entire body and steering column, bumpers, and 9" rear-end.

Only thing available is F100 Swiss frame, engine, trans, and front suspension and axles, etc. DSII ignition might be available...he won't be using that. I'm thinking about some of the items;).

Like I need more junk...omg...

He is keeping the entire body and steering column, bumpers, and 9" rear-end.

Only thing available is F100 Swiss frame, engine, trans, and front suspension and axles, etc. DSII ignition might be available...he won't be using that. I'm thinking about some of the items;).

Like I need more junk...omg...

Somebody might be interested in the fan guard.

Motor mounts and perches are sought, from time to time, but would be a bugger to get.

People look for the oil dipstick.