Bullnose Forum

Adding a factory clock to a non-clock radio bezel?

Did the metal blade not cause enough heating of the plastic for it to fuse again behind the blade? That's the problem I've been having.

On the paint, is it too shiny or what on the flat surfaces? I'm pretty happy with the two bezels I have on Big Blue, but they aren't a perfect match so I might paint them - some day.

No, I didn't have any heat or melting issues Gary, but I did cut very slowly, in little bursts...maybe 3/16" at a time...wait a couple seconds and cut again.

I can't quite describe how the paint behaved...it's almost like it wanted to run or sag a little bit, but that was only on my test bezel...and maybe it wasn't clean enough, or it was too cold, or I was too close...I don't know. It looks awesome on the black weave pattern though...like brand new. The Satin Black seems to give the bezels the kind of lustre that they probably had when new. Not too shiny, not too dull.

We'll see how it goes. I'm going to paint it today.

Did the metal blade not cause enough heating of the plastic for it to fuse again behind the blade? That's the problem I've been having.

On the paint, is it too shiny or what on the flat surfaces? I'm pretty happy with the two bezels I have on Big Blue, but they aren't a perfect match so I might paint them - some day.

No, I didn't have any heat or melting issues Gary, but I did cut very slowly, in little bursts...maybe 3/16" at a time...wait a couple seconds and cut again.

I can't quite describe how the paint behaved...it's almost like it wanted to run or sag a little bit, but that was only on my test bezel...and maybe it wasn't clean enough, or it was too cold, or I was too close...I don't know. It looks awesome on the black weave pattern though...like brand new. The Satin Black seems to give the bezels the kind of lustre that they probably had when new. Not too shiny, not too dull.

We'll see how it goes. I'm going to paint it today.

Good luck! :nabble_smiley_good:

Good luck! :nabble_smiley_good:

Thought I'd post up the final results for anybody that might find this thread in a search. I ended painting the whole bezel and I'm pleased with how it turned out. Not quite as nice as NOS pieces, but they're way cheaper to refinish than replace! The Satin Black paint is easy, but the part must be CLEAN. I washed them in the sink with Spray-9, hot water, and a tooth brush. The letters and edge trim I did with an Argent Silver Chisel Tip Paint Pen. The chisel tip part is very important...it makes it much easier to do. I've tried several colors and types (Ink, paint, etc) and I really like this particular paint pen.

IMG_3733.jpg.bc4c8d5f0ad36063945d4ce2c4f36576.jpg

IMG_3734.jpg.299d650d6d8b87c352f78c77d65489d7.jpg

IMG_3735.jpg.73fd21a4874cfbdc50439c0058ba4604.jpg

IMG_3737.jpg.dd626ffe6b9dd0ff7cc6335ec128c90b.jpg

IMG_3738.jpg.f9150c8c907dffe8196433ad570300ec.jpg

IMG_3744.jpg.3a5ba9e3faaf4e392bb42d7417289985.jpg

IMG_3741.jpg.4ab9b52aeb2e28626141fd63fc00df22.jpg

IMG_3742.jpg.a218fbe5bec943c3eca938fbf5db2ca7.jpg

IMG_3743.jpg.d9c31c5b20a944864c392c18bd27dd8e.jpg

Thought I'd post up the final results for anybody that might find this thread in a search. I ended painting the whole bezel and I'm pleased with how it turned out. Not quite as nice as NOS pieces, but they're way cheaper to refinish than replace! The Satin Black paint is easy, but the part must be CLEAN. I washed them in the sink with Spray-9, hot water, and a tooth brush. The letters and edge trim I did with an Argent Silver Chisel Tip Paint Pen. The chisel tip part is very important...it makes it much easier to do. I've tried several colors and types (Ink, paint, etc) and I really like this particular paint pen.

Everything looks wonderful Cory, save for your thumb. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, they do look great. And you got the paint to cooperate on everything. The key was cleanliness?

Seriously though, they do look great. And you got the paint to cooperate on everything. The key was cleanliness?

Gary,

I think the cleanliness makes a big difference. I really scrubbed these things and used hottest water I could handle. After they dried I wiped the smooth surfaces down with brake cleaner on a rag.

Gary,

I think the cleanliness makes a big difference. I really scrubbed these things and used hottest water I could handle. After they dried I wiped the smooth surfaces down with brake cleaner on a rag.

The brake cleaner I use, O'Reilly's house brand, will soften many plastics. Glad yours didn't.

On plastics I use Dawn first, and then SEM soap. And scrub with a toothbrush.