Bullnose Forums

Adding a factory clock to a non-clock radio bezel?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done it twice. Once with an Xacto knife and once with the mill. In reality I like the Xacto knife approach better. Less chance of messing up. On the mill if you turn the handle the wrong way you have a divit.

Awesome!

I was more curious about how to attach the clock itself once the holes are cut? I assumed that the factory clock bezels had mounting bosses for screws on the back side?

No, the clock mounts to the dash and the bezel just cover it.

Oh, cool. I didn't know that. Excellent. Sounds like I will be cutting a bezel to install a factory clock then. What are the chances this 41 year old clock will still be operational?...lol.

By the way, I didn't know until recently that there were a couple versions of the factory clocks. A guy had a couple different ones for sale on Facebook. The earlier ones had different buttons, etc.

Anyway, can they be fixed if not working, or are they a replace only item?

No, the clock mounts to the dash and the bezel just cover it.

Oh, cool. I didn't know that. Excellent. Sounds like I will be cutting a bezel to install a factory clock then. What are the chances this 41 year old clock will still be operational?...lol.

By the way, I didn't know until recently that there were a couple versions of the factory clocks. A guy had a couple different ones for sale on Facebook. The earlier ones had different buttons, etc.

Anyway, can they be fixed if not working, or are they a replace only item?

Most of the clocks I've tested have been good. However, the switches themselves are frequently a problem. I've had to push hard to get them to start working. And in most cases you can't get to the switches to clean them.

There were actually three different clocks, as shown on our page at Documentation/Electrical/Clocks.

Most of the clocks I've tested have been good. However, the switches themselves are frequently a problem. I've had to push hard to get them to start working. And in most cases you can't get to the switches to clean them.

There were actually three different clocks, as shown on our page at Documentation/Electrical/Clocks.

Following because I may do the same since I have the wiring for the clock in the truck already.

For what it's worth, the first iteration of the clock had a metal backing, and a rubber electrical connector, basically like a trailer plug. The second iteration also had a metal backing, but with a traditional plastic connector. The third iteration switched to a plastic rear housing, and were much lighter.

Why I am on the hunt for a NOS clock, the one I have works but when it comes time to changing the time you have to press the button down and slide it to the side to make it register. Real pain when you need to change the date or time but its good enough for the time being till I can source a NOS unit.

Why I am on the hunt for a NOS clock, the one I have works but when it comes time to changing the time you have to press the button down and slide it to the side to make it register. Real pain when you need to change the date or time but its good enough for the time being till I can source a NOS unit.

I made this swap and the buttons weren’t working. I disassembled the clock and cleaned the button contacts with deoxit contact cleaner — works like new.