Bullnose Forums

Work Groups

I just discovered a feature of Nabble that I didn't know is there - work groups. I'll include the detailed info from Nabble on how this works down below, but I want to try it out as I think it could be very useful. For instance, many times we've known who has answers to questions but don't have an easy way to alert them. But I think this will allow us to do it.

For testing purposes I've just set it up so that only our admins/moderators can be "assigned" something. For instance, we have a question that Bill/85lebaront2 knows the answer to, so we "assign" it to him and he gets an email that, hopefully, has a link to the post.

Let's give this a try. I'm going to assign this to Jim, meaning I hope he will reply and assign it to another admin, and so on. Let's see if this will work.

Now you can use Nabble to manage your team work. You can assign topics and set the priority of threads. Each topic is a work unit that can be assigned to individual users while the discussion grows. For example, you can post a new topic with something that must be implemented in your software. Then you assign it to a colleague to ask his opinion. Your colleague can reply with more ideas and assign the topic back to you. This process goes back and forth while the work is open. When it is completed and tested, you can remove the assignment and turn it into a normal topic in the forum. You can always search the forum to find old tasks or find past solutions. The Nabble team has been working with this system since 2005 and it works just great!

To use this, select the "Workgroup" option (Options > Application > Add-ons). Then go to the forum that you want to use as a workgroup and go to [Options > Users > Change permissions]. Look for the Assignment permission and select which types of users can be assigned threads. Now when you post to this forum, you will see the following controls at the bottom of the message text area:

workgroups2.png.c4b823a20ce4a704af4b1b61cd4af2da.png

Assignees receive an email when someone assigns a topic to them. Priorities and assignees are displayed on the forum page like this:

workgroups.png.78045a86aae94b6f3e984c70fbd145b7.png

Priorities range from 1 (highest) to 5 (lowest). You can filter the list of topics by clicking on the header of the priority / assignee columns.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, like a kid with a new toy, I'm going to assign this post to Bill. But he may not notice that it has been assigned to him as the notification email doesn't make it obvious. At the very bottom of the email you'll see something like this:

And this one is getting assigned to Scott. And I'll give him the lowest priority.

So it is assigned thread-level rather than post-level?

Will non-admins see the 'assigned to...' note at the top of the thread?

It's a shame it doesn't work at the post level. That would be better for things like Project threads where a specific topic is just a part of the whole. Still, this shows promise. Good find!

So it is assigned thread-level rather than post-level?

Yes, but it sends a link to the post in the email notification. So from what I can see while it says at the top of the thread to whom it was assigned, which we know will only show the last assignment, it does direct the person to the right post.

But I think it is of use only for a limited set of people. I've not figured out yet who can assign, but I think anyone can. However, I think if we were able to assign things to any member the list would be unusable.

Also, notice that when you reply the Assignment dropdown says Assigned and it shows it is assigned to John/Machspeed. So really you can only assign things to a single person, and when I posted assigning to other people it was actually re-assigning. And if I set it to Unassigned when I post then it takes the assignment away.

So, if I leave it at Assigned and Machspeed and John come along he could answer the question and mark it unassigned.

Right?

Will non-admins see the 'assigned to...' note at the top of the thread?

It's a shame it doesn't work at the post level. That would be better for things like Project threads where a specific topic is just a part of the whole. Still, this shows promise. Good find!

Yes, they will. I think. I'm signed in as Test User (Gary) and I see it. Now I'm not sure that this ID is a regular member, but it must not be an admin as I don't have the ability to assign it.

Yes, they will. I think. I'm signed in as Test User (Gary) and I see it. Now I'm not sure that this ID is a regular member, but it must not be an admin as I don't have the ability to assign it.

Yes, this ID is an Assistant Admin, and I didn't say an AA can assign. So while it can see that the thread has been assigned, it doesn't have the ability to assign nor be assigned to.