Bullnose Forums

Leaf Spring dimensions chart - is this useful?

Ok, I put a new page for front suspension: Suspension & Steering/Front Suspension. And it has the NPD table. Plus I added it to the bottom of the Suspension & Steering/Rear Suspension/Rear Springs page. Note that the pdf had both front and rear springs in it, so I edited the file and created a file for the front and one for the rear.

Please see what you think. But, I will say the rear suspension pages need a lot of work.

It's a large subject. Looks good to me.

I can't find where I saw the info about the springs codes now.

There is this http://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/suspension/ford-truck-spring-codes/

but I think that must be for later model trucks as my 82 decal doesn't have that info.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the forum, and the NDP list, there are references to "spring codes". Either 2 letter or four letter code, which seems to found be on the "data plate" on the door jamb. But my '82 data plate doesn't have any spring codes listed.

Where are these springs codes found?

Missed that question as I was posting. Here's Big Blue's label, and in the lower right corner you can see "7" and "K", and that's front/rear. Now, what you do with that I'm not quite sure. This page on Spring Codes says for 1985 that 7 = E0TZ 5310-S and K = E3TZ 5310-U. I see the 7 in the NPD table on the Front Suspension page as a 2820# spring. But I can't find the K numbers on the Rear Spring page. So, it needs more study.

Door_Tag_1.jpg.7d6770b7e68039e3043d99ecbdfea19f.jpg

Missed that question as I was posting. Here's Big Blue's label, and in the lower right corner you can see "7" and "K", and that's front/rear. Now, what you do with that I'm not quite sure. This page on Spring Codes says for 1985 that 7 = E0TZ 5310-S and K = E3TZ 5310-U. I see the 7 in the NPD table on the Front Suspension page as a 2820# spring. But I can't find the K numbers on the Rear Spring page. So, it needs more study.

My decal is a little different from yours. Maybe decal layout depends on if truck was built in US or Canada - or perhaps the decal changed over the model years.

My_Truck_ID_decal.my_truck_id_decal

Well, if I'd only read my own web site, I wrote "The first thing to note about spring codes is that the certification labels didn't carry that information until March 13, 1981" on the Spring Codes page. And, to prove it, here's Dad's label from 9/80 w/o spring codes. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Well, apparently I didn't read your site either - but the spring codes didn't appear until after March 1982 (according to my data plate / build date).

Well, if I'd only read my own web site, I wrote "The first thing to note about spring codes is that the certification labels didn't carry that information until March 13, 1981" on the Spring Codes page. And, to prove it, here's Dad's label from 9/80 w/o spring codes. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Well, apparently I didn't read your site either - but the spring codes didn't appear until after March 1982 (according to my data plate / build date).

I can change the verbiage around to say something like "March of 1981 for US-built trucks, and some time after March of 1982 for Canadian-built trucks." Would that work?

I can change the verbiage around to say something like "March of 1981 for US-built trucks, and some time after March of 1982 for Canadian-built trucks." Would that work?

Hmm... my 1982 parts truck had a build date of 10/81, USA made, and I don't see a spring code:

IMG_5260.png.43d0007fe7d4a5e99c1e378b932ee233.png