Bullnose Forums

1985.5 F150 5.0 EFI - Problem with fuel through injectors?

Steve - How new are those injectors? I'm considering either having the ones I have refurbished or buying new ones, so....

I am happy to send them to you, Gary. All I ask is that you reimburse me for the postage.

Get me your address and I'll send them.

Steve

I am happy to send them to you, Gary. All I ask is that you reimburse me for the postage.

Get me your address and I'll send them.

Steve

Steve - I was asking about buying them! I wasn't wanting you to give them to me.

I've sent you an email, so let me know what you want for them. Thanks.

Steve - I was asking about buying them! I wasn't wanting you to give them to me.

I've sent you an email, so let me know what you want for them. Thanks.

Gary - Just paying it forward. My pleasure.

By the way, the injectors have less than 2,000 miles on them.

I can get to the post office on Friday.

Steve

Nor I, Vinny, nor I.

Steve - I'm having a hard time believing that the injectors are too big. But it appears that way from the testing. And your theory that they weren't being given full pressure may be the key. Is there any way to turn your pressure down in order to test?

I'm wondering if it is a case of the computer, because it was unplugged for a considerable period, having defaulted to a preset value of injector pulse width that is too long for those injectors. But, if the engine were able to be run for a bit then it might figure that out and reduce the pulse width.

I don't know how the computer's pre-sets work, but I'm just thinking.

Hi Gents!

Thanks for all of the feedback regarding the fuel issues I've been having.

In the back of my mind, I've been worrying about the compression and Vinny had suggested I do a compression check. I did so this morning and now that I've recovered a tiny bit from the kick in the stomach, I'll share my not very pleasant news.

The compression on 5/8 cylinders ranges anywhere from 60 to 110 but 4 out of 5 cylinders measured in the 60-90 range. I didn't bother testing 3 of the cylinders due to the fact that 5 tested poorly and the other three were difficult to access.

I'll be checking the pushrods tomorrow only on cylinder #5 to be certain valves are opening and closing, and will recheck compression after loosening the rocker arms a bit, but I suspect that test is grasping at straws.

Not sure what I'm going to do next, but at the very least I know I'm looking at ring replacement or worse.

This may have occurred due to my error. Although I ensured the oil pump was in working order and cranked it by use of a power drill until it would not crank anymore, I did not cycle the engine with the plugs out for a few minutes prior to trying to start it. That may have been a costly error. It is likely that the use of ether on 8 different occasions to try to start the engine was harmful to the integrity of the engine also. I know what you are all saying. That's ok. I'm calling myself that too. :nabble_anim_rules:

Steve

Hi Gents!

Thanks for all of the feedback regarding the fuel issues I've been having.

In the back of my mind, I've been worrying about the compression and Vinny had suggested I do a compression check. I did so this morning and now that I've recovered a tiny bit from the kick in the stomach, I'll share my not very pleasant news.

The compression on 5/8 cylinders ranges anywhere from 60 to 110 but 4 out of 5 cylinders measured in the 60-90 range. I didn't bother testing 3 of the cylinders due to the fact that 5 tested poorly and the other three were difficult to access.

I'll be checking the pushrods tomorrow only on cylinder #5 to be certain valves are opening and closing, and will recheck compression after loosening the rocker arms a bit, but I suspect that test is grasping at straws.

Not sure what I'm going to do next, but at the very least I know I'm looking at ring replacement or worse.

This may have occurred due to my error. Although I ensured the oil pump was in working order and cranked it by use of a power drill until it would not crank anymore, I did not cycle the engine with the plugs out for a few minutes prior to trying to start it. That may have been a costly error. It is likely that the use of ether on 8 different occasions to try to start the engine was harmful to the integrity of the engine also. I know what you are all saying. That's ok. I'm calling myself that too. :nabble_anim_rules:

Steve

Steve - Remind me. How many miles on this engine?

I personally wouldn't make any plans w/o doing a leak-down test. I don't trust compression tests. However, low compression test results aren't good. But a leak-down test will pinpoint where the issues are - rings, gaskets, valves, etc.

Steve - Remind me. How many miles on this engine?

I personally wouldn't make any plans w/o doing a leak-down test. I don't trust compression tests. However, low compression test results aren't good. But a leak-down test will pinpoint where the issues are - rings, gaskets, valves, etc.

Good recommendation. Thanks.

This engine is a remanufactured engine, so 0 miles.

Good recommendation. Thanks.

This engine is a remanufactured engine, so 0 miles.

The rings haven't seated, so you'll have all kinds of blow-by, low compression, etc. I take back the leak-down test suggestion. Proceed to get it running and I'll bet the rings seat.