Bullnose Forums

1985.5 F150 5.0 EFI - Problem with fuel through injectors?

Brilliant idea. Ford went to them later for the small blocks, and they not only take less power to crank but also have a built-in relay. So you wind up using the relay on the fender to pull in the relay in the starter, and the fender-mounted one lasts forever.

Steve, if your truck is an automatic, the starter for a 1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0L is the one to look for. If it is a manual transmission, a later 5.0L truck starter will be the correct one.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant idea. Ford went to them later for the small blocks, and they not only take less power to crank but also have a built-in relay. So you wind up using the relay on the fender to pull in the relay in the starter, and the fender-mounted one lasts forever.

Thanks, Bill and Gary!

I put another new Motorcraft Solenoid (made in Taiwan - really??) in this morning and when I tried to start got no response from the starter except a single click as if the gear is locked up. The solenoid overheated, even with just a couple short turns of the key. Had to disconnect battery cables. When attempting to reattach the cables, sparks flew everywhere. Guess I cooked another new solenoid.

I'm going to take the recommendation and purchase the starter you recommend.

Thanks!!

Steve, if your truck is an automatic, the starter for a 1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0L is the one to look for. If it is a manual transmission, a later 5.0L truck starter will be the correct one.

It's an automatic. Will follow your recommendation. Thanks!!

It's an automatic. Will follow your recommendation. Thanks!!

When you get the starter, it may have a small wire from it's solenoid. The starter system will need a change and you will still need a fender mounted relay to actuate the starter solenoid.

Wiring change is: Move the present large wire from the relay to the starter to the same post on the relay as the battery + cable. The other end goes to the post on the new starter solenoid. The small wire (if installed) or add one goes where the old large wire went on the relay. Even with a crappy Chinese fender relay it will not weld together.

Note to Gary, maybe a nice diagram or pictures in the tech section if they aren't already there.

When you get the starter, it may have a small wire from it's solenoid. The starter system will need a change and you will still need a fender mounted relay to actuate the starter solenoid.

Wiring change is: Move the present large wire from the relay to the starter to the same post on the relay as the battery + cable. The other end goes to the post on the new starter solenoid. The small wire (if installed) or add one goes where the old large wire went on the relay. Even with a crappy Chinese fender relay it will not weld together.

Note to Gary, maybe a nice diagram or pictures in the tech section if they aren't already there.

I think I sent you the wrong link. Here's the one I meant to send. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6680580&cc=1434350&jsn=320

Not sure I understand your directions.

1. Cable (Black) to the starter solenoid (on the starter) goes to the B post on the starter relay.

2. Small wire on new starter solenoid (on the starter) goes to the M terminal on the starter relay.

Where do the other 5 wires go?

And the red/blue wire that goes to post S on the relay?

I think I sent you the wrong link. Here's the one I meant to send. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6680580&cc=1434350&jsn=320

Not sure I understand your directions.

1. Cable (Black) to the starter solenoid (on the starter) goes to the B post on the starter relay.

2. Small wire on new starter solenoid (on the starter) goes to the M terminal on the starter relay.

Where do the other 5 wires go?

And the red/blue wire that goes to post S on the relay?

Bill - I already have it under Electrical/PMGR Starter Wiring.

Steve - Does that answer the questions?