Bullnose Forums

1985.5 F150 5.0 EFI - Problem with fuel through injectors?

Steve - I thought I saw a post on here asking questions about the TPS, but I can't find it to answer. Did I miss something?

Gents -

With a squirt of gas into the throttle and the fuel relay disconnected, I can start the vehicle. Once started I reconnect the fuel relay. After a quick moment, the fuel kicks in and she runs pretty good. I can run it indefinitely at that point and have run it for as long as 8 minutes before turning it off.

When I first did this process as described above, and went to start it up again, it started without any special intervention of fuel squirts or disconnecting the fuel relay. In fact, it started right up 6 different times.

Now, however, it won't do that. I have to jump it to my other truck, disconnect the fuel relay, squirt fuel into the throttle, and start it reconnecting the fuel relay once it starts. Like before, it will run as long as I want it to once the fuel relay is connected. But it is impossible to start at this point without going through the process.

I did not yet check to see if the plugs are wet when trying to start it with the fuel relay plugged in. I know I must do this step to see if the system is flooding.

At least we know it will run. Any suggestions?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gents -

With a squirt of gas into the throttle and the fuel relay disconnected, I can start the vehicle. Once started I reconnect the fuel relay. After a quick moment, the fuel kicks in and she runs pretty good. I can run it indefinitely at that point and have run it for as long as 8 minutes before turning it off.

When I first did this process as described above, and went to start it up again, it started without any special intervention of fuel squirts or disconnecting the fuel relay. In fact, it started right up 6 different times.

Now, however, it won't do that. I have to jump it to my other truck, disconnect the fuel relay, squirt fuel into the throttle, and start it reconnecting the fuel relay once it starts. Like before, it will run as long as I want it to once the fuel relay is connected. But it is impossible to start at this point without going through the process.

I did not yet check to see if the plugs are wet when trying to start it with the fuel relay plugged in. I know I must do this step to see if the system is flooding.

At least we know it will run. Any suggestions?

If you have to jump it to the other truck then the battery must be low. I would check to see if the alternator is charging as a low battery may be causing a problem. Perhaps the Computer is losing its memory?

If you have to jump it to the other truck then the battery must be low. I would check to see if the alternator is charging as a low battery may be causing a problem. Perhaps the Computer is losing its memory?

Hi Gary -

Yeah. Ran some tests and discovered I have a bad voltage regulator. I also burned out the starter too after so many attempts to start it on a low battery. Also blew out the check valve on my external fuel pump.

Have new parts arriving soon. Once new parts are installed, I'll again focus on the problem(s) with fuel delivery.

Fully expected to be doing body work by now. Way behind schedule. That's how it goes, sometimes!

Hi Gary -

Yeah. Ran some tests and discovered I have a bad voltage regulator. I also burned out the starter too after so many attempts to start it on a low battery. Also blew out the check valve on my external fuel pump.

Have new parts arriving soon. Once new parts are installed, I'll again focus on the problem(s) with fuel delivery.

Fully expected to be doing body work by now. Way behind schedule. That's how it goes, sometimes!

Glad you found it. Bummer about the damage to the parts though. Hope it comes together quickly now.

Glad you found it. Bummer about the damage to the parts though. Hope it comes together quickly now.

Gary -

What would cause the starter gear to stay engage while the engine is running, and thereby get ground to pieces?

Steve

It is a Bosch, but will replace it with a Motorcraft. Thanks, Bill!

Sorry, late to the party. But Bill is right.

However, you may want to make sure that your connections are good. Low voltage causes the starter to drag and that pulls more current. So check all the connections.

Steve, do yourself a favor and get a later PMGR starter, it draws less power and cranks faster.

Brilliant idea. Ford went to them later for the small blocks, and they not only take less power to crank but also have a built-in relay. So you wind up using the relay on the fender to pull in the relay in the starter, and the fender-mounted one lasts forever.