Bullnose Forums

351W oil pump drive shaft length

ScubaSteve

I am building a 1994 351W to go into my 1986 F150. I am using a DSII distributor and want to be sure I have the correct length oil pump drive shaft. I have read there are two different length oil pump drive shafts but I can not find anything any different length than what I have. When I check Rock Auto it lists a Melling IS83 shaft for the 1980 351W and the 1994 351W with a length of 8.190". I have the distributor and oil pump installed and i can move the shaft up and down some so its not too long but if it was a little longer it would have more engagement in the distributor. Does anyone know if there is actually different length oil pump drive shafts available?

I think I may have figured out my answer but if anyone has anything to add please do. From what I can find the shaft in the EFI distributor is about 1/2" longer than the DSII distributor but the oil pump drive shaft is the same for both distributors.

The shafts are different part numbers. Both are obsolete from Ford, and there are no length references in the parts catalog. I can't help ya - sorry!