Bullnose Forum

Newbie brake question

Dr. Bob

Hey guys and gals,

I just joined the forums--looks like tons of information.

I'm doing a front axle swap from a '96 F-350 4x4 with a D-60 to my 86 F-250 HD. I plan on installing my twin traction beam front end onto the F-350 to sell that truck as a hunting/fishing/firewood hauler rather than part it out.

I know that my '86 has mostly metric fasteners, but I can't tell if the brake fittings are metric.

The front brake hoses aren't interchangeable, so I'm going to have to use the '96 hoses on the '86 and vice versa. Does anyone have experience with this sort of swap, and know if the fittings are the same size (I measure 3/8 on the '86 but slightly smaller than that on the '96).

I'll need a block or t-style fitting to swap hoses, and don't want to find out the hard way that I used the wrong fitting.

Thanks for your help,

Robert

Welcome! Glad you joined! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Two things before I get to the question. First, where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we could add you to it if we had a city or a zip.

Second, the way the forum works not everyone will see your post here. So you may want to ask the same question in the main section. Just click the Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum link at the top or bottom of the page to go there.

Now for your question. I put a '95 F350 D60 in my '85 and the hoses fit. I had to go with longer hoses due to the lift the RSK gave, but I'm pretty sure the old hoses would have fit. However, I don't know the size of the fittings. Hopefully someone else will.

Welcome! Glad you joined! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Two things before I get to the question. First, where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we could add you to it if we had a city or a zip.

Second, the way the forum works not everyone will see your post here. So you may want to ask the same question in the main section. Just click the Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum link at the top or bottom of the page to go there.

Now for your question. I put a '95 F350 D60 in my '85 and the hoses fit. I had to go with longer hoses due to the lift the RSK gave, but I'm pretty sure the old hoses would have fit. However, I don't know the size of the fittings. Hopefully someone else will.

Thanks Gary,

I'm in southeast Missouri near Jackson and Cape Girardeau (halfway between St. Louis and Memphis Tn).

I guess I'll need brake line blocks with female inverted flares so my main brake lines will attach to the brake hoses from the calipers. Was that what you used? I'll try to get some pictures this weekend.

Thanks,

Robert

Thanks Gary,

I'm in southeast Missouri near Jackson and Cape Girardeau (halfway between St. Louis and Memphis Tn).

I guess I'll need brake line blocks with female inverted flares so my main brake lines will attach to the brake hoses from the calipers. Was that what you used? I'll try to get some pictures this weekend.

Thanks,

Robert

I put you on the map in Cape Girardeau, but it is easily moved if you'd like.

As for the brakes, I just used the lines that were on my '85 from the proportioning valve on the frame to the spots on the frame where the hoses connect. And the new hoses that I bought with my RSK fit into those lines, held in place by the funky retainers, and connected right up to the calipers.

I can take pics tomorrow if you'd like. I'll have the truck up on the lift so that'll be easy peasy.

I put you on the map in Cape Girardeau, but it is easily moved if you'd like.

As for the brakes, I just used the lines that were on my '85 from the proportioning valve on the frame to the spots on the frame where the hoses connect. And the new hoses that I bought with my RSK fit into those lines, held in place by the funky retainers, and connected right up to the calipers.

I can take pics tomorrow if you'd like. I'll have the truck up on the lift so that'll be easy peasy.

That would be great.

Thanks

That would be great.

Thanks

Here are my pics. Hope they help.

Here's the left hose and you can see how it connects to the connector on the bracket and then goes through the frame.

BBS_Left_Brake_Line_To_Caliper.thumb.jpg.f9475dd354a06c782b89faf6a05d161d.jpg

Ditto the right one:

BBS_Right_Brake_Line_To_Caliper.thumb.jpg.69f30534a1238e180697ef20d2eac4fe.jpg

And finally, here's a shot under the truck where you can see the left line come through the from, the tube from the right line come up the crossmember, and both of them go into the proportioning valve:

BBs_Brake_Proportioning_Valve__Lines.thumb.jpg.74653ed81808ef1354ad9090a748284f.jpg

Here are my pics. Hope they help.

Here's the left hose and you can see how it connects to the connector on the bracket and then goes through the frame.

Ditto the right one:

And finally, here's a shot under the truck where you can see the left line come through the from, the tube from the right line come up the crossmember, and both of them go into the proportioning valve:

Gary,

Thanks for the pictures. My passenger side hose hooks up like yours, but my driver's side hose has block on the chassis end that I don't need to use it on the F-250. I'd like to use stainless braided hose, but don't plan on lifting the truck, so standard length would work. Where did you get your hoses?

IMG_1405.jpg.4d9d77e8c2fc4aa408204b98c88c00ad.jpg

Thanks,

Robert

P.S. I tried to attach an image of my hose, but I'm not sure it worked.

Gary,

Thanks for the pictures. My passenger side hose hooks up like yours, but my driver's side hose has block on the chassis end that I don't need to use it on the F-250. I'd like to use stainless braided hose, but don't plan on lifting the truck, so standard length would work. Where did you get your hoses?

Thanks,

Robert

P.S. I tried to attach an image of my hose, but I'm not sure it worked.

You got the pic loaded. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the hoses, I ordered them from Erik at Sky.