Bullnose Forums

1985 F-150 horn button parts

dennisb

Done. 

DENNIS A. BYRNE

"THANK GOD WE'RE NOT GETTING ALL THE GOVERNMENT WE'RE PAYING FOR."

WILL ROGERS

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 3:06 PM dennisb [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Oh! I completely misunderstood. You are going back in with a stock column and can't get the horn to work. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/head-slap-23_orig.gif

I don't think I have a non-speed control horn pad to look at, but in the wheel there is a button that is a wiper that runs on a track in the column. If you have the wheel off you can short that track to ground and the horn should honk. Then with the wheel on you should have either one terminals sticking up or two. And a hole in the steering column where you'd put a stud to pull the wheel. The horn pad will have a connector that goes on that terminal and a spring clip that goes in the hole. And when you push the horn button it just shorts that terminal to ground.

You can see the wiring on the page at Documentation/Electrical/EVTM/1985 EVTM and then go to the Horn & Cigar lighter.

As for replying via the forum, it takes two steps. First, I've copied in the email I got, and then circled in red the link you need to click. That will take you to the post on the forum. And while looking at the post on the forum there's a "Reply" link to the upper right. Click on that and a window will open up, into which you type your reply. Then just click "Post Message" below that window on the left.

Dennis_Post.thumb.jpg.000712d97f17ecdc10ff42981a87a069.jpg

Oh! I completely misunderstood. You are going back in with a stock column and can't get the horn to work. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:I don't think I have a non-speed control horn pad to look at, but in the wheel there is a button that is a wiper that runs on a track in the column. If you have the wheel off you can short that track to ground and the horn should honk. Then with the wheel on you should have either one terminals sticking up or two. And a hole in the steering column where you'd put a stud to pull the wheel. The horn pad will have a connector that goes on that terminal and a spring clip that goes in the hole. And when you push the horn button it just shorts that terminal to ground.You can see the wiring on the page at Documentation/Electrical/EVTM/1985 EVTM and then go to the Horn & Cigar lighter.As for replying via the forum, it takes two steps. First, I've copied in the email I got, and then circled in red the link you need to click. That will take you to the post on the forum. And while looking at the post on the forum there's a "Reply" link to the upper right. Click on that and a window will open up, into which you type your reply. Then just click "Post Message" below that window on the left.
Thank you 

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 3:14 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

--

DENNIS A. BYRNE

WILL ROGERS

Thank's Gary.

Oh! You figured out how to post here on the forum. Nice and clean post. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm going to look this afternoon to see if I have a horn pad w/o speed control. If I do I can take pics and show you what I'm talking about. And even if I don't I can take pics of one with speed control and point out which bits need to connect in order to honk the horn.

Meanwhile, check this thread out: Steering Column Groun. There's a picture in there of the brushes and a discussion about grounds and testing to make the horn honk.

Oh! You figured out how to post here on the forum. Nice and clean post. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm going to look this afternoon to see if I have a horn pad w/o speed control. If I do I can take pics and show you what I'm talking about. And even if I don't I can take pics of one with speed control and point out which bits need to connect in order to honk the horn.

Meanwhile, check this thread out: Steering Column Groun. There's a picture in there of the brushes and a discussion about grounds and testing to make the horn honk.

Ok, if you've read that thread then we'll pick up where it leaves off. In the pic below you can see the two brushes circled in blue and yellow.

DSCN3243.jpg.d0e84e2ec3c37c5e7f46f8c1409e3bc7.jpg

In this pic you can see which of the standard steering wheel connections go to those brushes. And for a horn pad that has no speed control buttons you'll have a connector that goes over those two tabs. Then, when you push the horn button it connects the two circuits, which puts battery voltage to the horn.

That's NOT the way the horn circuit works if you have the speed control wiring. So if your truck happens to have the speed control wiring, including the module under the dash between the steering column and ash tray, then it works differently. And I don't think a standard, non-speed control horn pad will honk the horn with that arrangement, although I've not tried it.

Steering_Wheel_Connections.thumb.jpg.d3c63132ffa413f051655e383c3ecf0e.jpg

Ok, if you've read that thread then we'll pick up where it leaves off. In the pic below you can see the two brushes circled in blue and yellow.In this pic you can see which of the standard steering wheel connections go to those brushes. And for a horn pad that has no speed control buttons you'll have a connector that goes over those two tabs. Then, when you push the horn button it connects the two circuits, which puts battery voltage to the horn.That's NOT the way the horn circuit works if you have the speed control wiring. So if your truck happens to have the speed control wiring, including the module under the dash between the steering column and ash tray, then it works differently. And I don't think a standard, non-speed control horn pad will honk the horn with that arrangement, although I've not tried it.
Awesome, thanks!

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 11:10 AM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

--

DENNIS A. BYRNE

WILL ROGERS