Bullnose Forums

What is this light for?

Jacob84

That’s what I was thinking but wasn’t sure. I guess it’s for someone that doesn’t want a rear bumper or has a bumper without the provision for a license plate?

Bumpers weren't standard back when these trucks were new. They were optional, and often installed by the dealer. If a truck was ordered, but no optional bumper was selected, then this is what you would hang your license plate from. Some dealers would take them off when installing an aftermarket bumper, while others would just leave them.

Bumpers weren't standard back when these trucks were new. They were optional, and often installed by the dealer. If a truck was ordered, but no optional bumper was selected, then this is what you would hang your license plate from. Some dealers would take them off when installing an aftermarket bumper, while others would just leave them.

I just saw a NOS one of these tag lights on Ebay a few days ago.

Exactly. Pulled a couple of these from the jy. Both from trucks with the aftermarket 'farm' bumpers.

Exactly. Pulled a couple of these from the jy. Both from trucks with the aftermarket 'farm' bumpers.

Shaun- That makes sense! I thought maybe it was some sort of courtesy light at first but that didn’t seem right. I’m surprised it still works after 400k plus miles behind the left rear tire lol.