Bullnose Forums

4X4 Emblem Placement Question

Jmac1773

I have seen them located under the "150" or "250" emblem before on the older, lower-optioned trucks. There was also a "4x2" emblem located in that same spot, but I am not even sure why that one even exists.

I have never seen it on a tailgate, but I can see where it might. My Lucille has an "OVERDRIVE" emblem on the right side, and it looks to be of similar size:

As soon as I saw this post I was thinking "this is right in Lariat85's wheelhouse" :nabble_smiley_beam:

The OD has the locating pins correct?

Assuming this 4x4 one does also?

I am like Steve, never seen one on a bullnose in person and per Jmac's research, sounds like photos are rare as well.

Never been around the OD tranny so this may be a stupid question but in our years was the 4wd version common?

As soon as I saw this post I was thinking "this is right in Lariat85's wheelhouse" :nabble_smiley_beam:

Assuming this 4x4 one does also?

I am like Steve, never seen one on a bullnose in person and per Jmac's research, sounds like photos are rare as well.

Never been around the OD tranny so this may be a stupid question but in our years was the 4wd version common?

It’s funny, I don’t recall seeing a 4x4 emblem either. But I’ve seen two 4x2’s. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s funny, I don’t recall seeing a 4x4 emblem either. But I’ve seen two 4x2’s. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That style of 4x4 emblem was used on the fenders. It should be directly below the 150 of your F150 nameplate.

One of my flare sides actually has the same style badge that says 4x2!

That style of 4x4 emblem was used on the fenders. It should be directly below the 150 of your F150 nameplate.

One of my flare sides actually has the same style badge that says 4x2!

My 86 parts truck had the "4x2" emblems on the fenders beneath the "250". I too have no clue why that even existed. I have also seen XL and XLT emblems for below the FXXX on the fender. I'm wondering if maybe the standard trim trucks were the ones to get the 4x2 and 4x4 emblems since they would not have the XL or XLT badges to go in that place.

Some if not all of the Diesel trucks had a "Diesel" emblem where Lariat has an "Overdrive" emblem on the tailgate.

And thanks for the info about the placement. That's the only place I've seen them, too. But I've also seen the "XL" under the "150" so that begs the question: What do you do if you want them both on there? Put the "4X4" under the "XL?" Again, this is where some clear photos from the era would help. :nabble_smiley_tongue:

Since you have a Flareside, I think I would place the "4x4" emblem on the lower right side of the tailgate, on that thin raised portion.

Yes.

I'm wondering if maybe the standard trim trucks were the ones to get the 4x2 and 4x4 emblems since they would not have the XL or XLT badges to go in that place.

I *think* this would be true. And those emblems were probably dropped in the later years. I have seen some of the later Bullnose trucks with nothing there at all.

Some if not all of the Diesel trucks had a "Diesel" emblem where Lariat has an "Overdrive" emblem on the tailgate.

I have seen some mid-1985 and 1986 trucks with an "ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION" emblem in that same spot.

And thanks for the info about the placement. That's the only place I've seen them, too. But I've also seen the "XL" under the "150" so that begs the question: What do you do if you want them both on there? Put the "4X4" under the "XL?" Again, this is where some clear photos from the era would help. :nabble_smiley_tongue:

Since you have a Flareside, I think I would place the "4x4" emblem on the lower right side of the tailgate, on that thin raised portion.

Yes.

I'm wondering if maybe the standard trim trucks were the ones to get the 4x2 and 4x4 emblems since they would not have the XL or XLT badges to go in that place.

I *think* this would be true. And those emblems were probably dropped in the later years. I have seen some of the later Bullnose trucks with nothing there at all.

I have seen some mid-1985 and 1986 trucks with an "ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION" emblem in that same spot.

When do you suppose they used those 4x2 emblems on the F series of trucks? My '82 Flareside we got used in '92 and it never had those 4x2 emblems on it and there was never any of that black glue that remains after the emblem falls off.

When do you suppose they used those 4x2 emblems on the F series of trucks? My '82 Flareside we got used in '92 and it never had those 4x2 emblems on it and there was never any of that black glue that remains after the emblem falls off.

My guess would be the 1980 and 1981 standard trim level trucks. Those first two years had different emblems and a different grille, which makes these models look unique.

1982 brought a lot of little changes to the Bullnoses - including the emblems - and the "4x2" and "4x4" emblems were probably dropped after that.

In fact, I would group the Bullnoses like this:

1980/1981

1982 - 1984

1985/1986

My guess would be the 1980 and 1981 standard trim level trucks. Those first two years had different emblems and a different grille, which makes these models look unique.

1982 brought a lot of little changes to the Bullnoses - including the emblems - and the "4x2" and "4x4" emblems were probably dropped after that.

In fact, I would group the Bullnoses like this:

1980/1981

1982 - 1984

1985/1986

Rick - That 4x4 badge has an E3TZ prefix on it.