Bullnose Forums

Lila- 81 F100. Built for her, by her!

Lila_the81Custom

Right. Which means standard mounts are not going to work. But if that's the combo that was pulled out, why won't it go back in?

Was it in there and running previously?

The old 302 is mildly annoying due to all of the different configurations it came in between cars and trucks, and then various internal changes over the years, etc. Things are very easy to get wrong with them. It happened a lot 30 years ago, and it still happens today.

Front.

It is the same set up that we pulled from the truck, so I am confused as to why it is not sitting accurately anymore.

I unfortunately did not take pictures during tear down, and am unsure if there were spacers placed with the motor mounts to allow for the oil pans clearance.

If the engine has a front sump pan it sounds like it was pulled from a car. Do you know where the engine came from?

Out of curiosity, what did you use for a flywheel on this engine?

Rembrant I am unsure what it was pulled from. I know that the engine is stamped as a 91 thunderbird. However, I know now from previous posts that the engine could have been stamped for something but put into something else. So... I only know that it is exactly what I pulled out.

The mounts from the illustration may very well be the ones that were on there and are in fact the ones that I need to purchase. How is it that I go about finding those? I know that I looked for the 6038 insulator assembly on a google search and it didn't pull up anything needed.

Jaci - on the page at Documentation/Engines/Windsor and the Instructions tab I find this illustration on Page 10 in the FSM writeup:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n82145/Windsor_Mounts.jpg

Wait a second...

Gary, what illustration is this? Those perches and mounts are not what is in my 1984 with 302.

Jaci - on the page at Documentation/Engines/Windsor and the Instructions tab I find this illustration on Page 10 in the FSM writeup:

Wait a second...

Gary, what illustration is this? Those perches and mounts are not what is in my 1984 with 302.

Those are definitely the perches that are on mine, but those are different mounts than I have

Rembrant I am unsure what it was pulled from. I know that the engine is stamped as a 91 thunderbird. However, I know now from previous posts that the engine could have been stamped for something but put into something else. So... I only know that it is exactly what I pulled out.

The mounts from the illustration may very well be the ones that were on there and are in fact the ones that I need to purchase. How is it that I go about finding those? I know that I looked for the 6038 insulator assembly on a google search and it didn't pull up anything needed.

"6038" is the generic # for every engine mount Ford used in any vehicle anywhere in the world for any year. You need a prefix, like E3TZ, and a suffix, like A, to give you the whole part number. I think Jim explained how that works.

So go back up to my post with all the part numbers and pick the right one and search for that.

Wait a second...

From Page 10 of the FSM on Windsor engines. As said, those are frequently generic illustrations used for many applications, so may not be representative.

Those are definitely the perches that are on mine, but those are different mounts than I have

Right. The picture you posted earlier is of the correct mount for the 302.

Installing a truck oil pan might be the easiest route, but I'm not sure what else needs to be changed with it (like the oil pick-up).

Right. The picture you posted earlier is of the correct mount for the 302.

Installing a truck oil pan might be the easiest route, but I'm not sure what else needs to be changed with it (like the oil pick-up).

Ugh, this seems to be the story of my life right now, because I also need to change out the transmission crossmember. Found one at a pick and pull and was unable to break it loose from the frame and the yard would not allow us to torch them off. So.....on the hunt again unless someone knows of a place I can order one!?

Ugh, this seems to be the story of my life right now, because I also need to change out the transmission crossmember. Found one at a pick and pull and was unable to break it loose from the frame and the yard would not allow us to torch them off. So.....on the hunt again unless someone knows of a place I can order one!?

Jaci,

I had some difficulty in finding an M5OD crossmember as well and ended up ordering one from a guy a 1000 miles away that junks a lot of 1990's Ford trucks. I would look on https://www.car-part.com/, and you will find one. See picture below of my original crossmember for the 3-on-the-tree, and the correct 2wd M5OD crossmember. The M5OD mount is quite a bit farther rearward.

IMG_3817.jpg.fa198c5e8aec7b13b5958be277538308.jpg

In the 1980-1996 generation trucks, the M5OD was used between 1988-1996. The crossmembers are basically all the same, but make note of what year you do end up buying as the holes for the mounts changed at some point (I think 1994).

The angled brackets for the crossmember that come down from the top of the frame rail are a little harder to obtain. Seems the junkyards like to just remove the one cross-piece and that's it.

Jaci,

I had some difficulty in finding an M5OD crossmember as well and ended up ordering one from a guy a 1000 miles away that junks a lot of 1990's Ford trucks. I would look on https://www.car-part.com/, and you will find one. See picture below of my original crossmember for the 3-on-the-tree, and the correct 2wd M5OD crossmember. The M5OD mount is quite a bit farther rearward.

In the 1980-1996 generation trucks, the M5OD was used between 1988-1996. The crossmembers are basically all the same, but make note of what year you do end up buying as the holes for the mounts changed at some point (I think 1994).

The angled brackets for the crossmember that come down from the top of the frame rail are a little harder to obtain. Seems the junkyards like to just remove the one cross-piece and that's it.

That is for sure the one that I need as well as the one I had my hands on yesterday! I noticed that it may need to be placed further back in which case I am lacking the bolt holes on my frame? Did you have to drill new holes?