Bullnose Forums

Rear Window Gasket

Machspeed

Hey friends, I removed my rear glass recently and purchased a new gasket from NPD for the re-install. I have a non-slider with chrome piece that you press into the gasket. I ordered my gasket and the chrome from NPD: https://www.npdlink.com/product/weatherstrip-rear-window-glass/133323/60783

I removed the gasket from the packaging with intentions of putting it on the window with hopeful install tonight. As our rear glass is somewhat wider on the bottom and narrower on the top, I expected the gasket to have that same basic shape, but it is not as obvious with the new gasket. Maybe that's just the way it is and will conform to the shape when installed. However, I'm not real sure what is top and bottom and I know this matters. There is a single molded change in the glass channel (see photo) that I'm certain is center and think it may go on the bottom. Can anyone confirm?

New_gasket_marking.thumb.jpg.f6be00abd29b66dacd4effb6c286217a.jpg

Also, does the chrome strip go in the gasket before installation or after?

the chrome is a plastic chrome rope like piece correct?

You have to put the rubber around the glass and bed it in the truck first then you fit the chrome rope in and that is what locks the gasket in the truck.

If you have an actual hard metal trim piece which I dont recall seeing this era of trucks having you would have to in most cases install the hard trim into the rubber first then install the window/gasket/trim into the truck as a large assembly and would have to use a rope to pull the gasket into place.

On the joiner I dont know about that, the Ford truck I did do we just simply put it in the middle of the truck I believe on the bottom of the glass.

the chrome is a plastic chrome rope like piece correct?

You have to put the rubber around the glass and bed it in the truck first then you fit the chrome rope in and that is what locks the gasket in the truck.

If you have an actual hard metal trim piece which I dont recall seeing this era of trucks having you would have to in most cases install the hard trim into the rubber first then install the window/gasket/trim into the truck as a large assembly and would have to use a rope to pull the gasket into place.

On the joiner I dont know about that, the Ford truck I did do we just simply put it in the middle of the truck I believe on the bottom of the glass.

I too purchased my window strip from NPD since they're local to me. I installed it with the "joint" in the middle and at the bottom.

As for the fitment, it seems to work, but it is far from a factory fit. Mine left noticeable gaps in the lower corners that the factory gasket had originally filled. If you run into the same issue as I did, you'll know what I'm referring to.

I would entertain the idea of having a glass shop put it in.

Not at all saying that because it's a difficult install - takes some time but isn't bad.

I am saying that because mine (gasket from Dennis Carpenter) leaked a little in the bottom corners. Called a glass shop and they knew exactly why and knew where to add a dab of sealant. This was with a new CRL slider so not apples to apples but still something I'd think about.

Mine had obvious corners in it so if yours doesn't, placing that seam bottom center sounds like as good a starting place to dry fit as any.

Given the cold weather that would be another reason I'd check into a shop.

As has already been said - lock strip goes in last. There was a thread recently with some better alternatives to the soap and water mix.

I would entertain the idea of having a glass shop put it in.

Not at all saying that because it's a difficult install - takes some time but isn't bad.

I am saying that because mine (gasket from Dennis Carpenter) leaked a little in the bottom corners. Called a glass shop and they knew exactly why and knew where to add a dab of sealant. This was with a new CRL slider so not apples to apples but still something I'd think about.

Mine had obvious corners in it so if yours doesn't, placing that seam bottom center sounds like as good a starting place to dry fit as any.

Given the cold weather that would be another reason I'd check into a shop.

As has already been said - lock strip goes in last. There was a thread recently with some better alternatives to the soap and water mix.

Thanks for the responses, fellas. After I posted last night, I did some more web surfing regarding the company that provided the gasket. I bought the gasket through NPD and it was the only one they had with the chrome insert. It was also the cheapest, which made me a little nervous. Regardless, the company appears to be reputable and hosts a bunch of videos and information on tips and tools for glass replacement. Their website: https://www.prp.com/

Unfortunately, nothing on our Bullnose Fords. I was able to glean the proper location of the gasket though. And, I sent them an email asking if the chrome insert went in before or after installation. I question that it should go in after because I could have ordered a gasket that does not have the insert for the chrome, so I'm thinking it is merely decorative and not of purpose in securing the glass. Also, I came across the following video and while it is not a back window on an F150, the fit up and the trim are essentially the same thing.

As always, thanks for you input. I'll keep you guys posted this endeavor.

Thanks for the responses, fellas. After I posted last night, I did some more web surfing regarding the company that provided the gasket. I bought the gasket through NPD and it was the only one they had with the chrome insert. It was also the cheapest, which made me a little nervous. Regardless, the company appears to be reputable and hosts a bunch of videos and information on tips and tools for glass replacement. Their website: https://www.prp.com/

Unfortunately, nothing on our Bullnose Fords. I was able to glean the proper location of the gasket though. And, I sent them an email asking if the chrome insert went in before or after installation. I question that it should go in after because I could have ordered a gasket that does not have the insert for the chrome, so I'm thinking it is merely decorative and not of purpose in securing the glass. Also, I came across the following video and while it is not a back window on an F150, the fit up and the trim are essentially the same thing.

I'm following this as Big Blue's insert is crumbling but the gasket is fine. So I'm wondering if I can just replace the insert.

Hey John,

Overall I've been happy with the Precision stuff I've used. The only ones I tossed and went with another offering was the vent window gaskets.

Haven't watched the video but general consensus is that the chrome rope on our trucks goes in after the window is in to lock it in place. Since ultimately the profiles are the same and it's coming in from the back it stands to reason that it could be done(?). With the chrome strip in though, it's going to be less flexible overall but since you are just folding the inside lip of the gasket maybe it won't have much of an impact?

This graphic is from the CRL slider install doc and just adding it for the profile view. Worth noting the CRL slider is treated like a factory non-slider install so that's why it shows the wider channel used by the factory slider as incorrect.

crl.thumb.jpg.781b566c98da4a32418f206f4fcf9de2.jpg

Gary - yes you could pull the lock strip out and replace it. When removing mine by just pulling it, it kept snapping into little pieces so if pulling a brittle one again I'd grab a wedge trim tool (which is what I used to install the new one also) and work it under as you pull so you aren't having to stop and start a bunch.

Hey John,

Overall I've been happy with the Precision stuff I've used. The only ones I tossed and went with another offering was the vent window gaskets.

Haven't watched the video but general consensus is that the chrome rope on our trucks goes in after the window is in to lock it in place. Since ultimately the profiles are the same and it's coming in from the back it stands to reason that it could be done(?). With the chrome strip in though, it's going to be less flexible overall but since you are just folding the inside lip of the gasket maybe it won't have much of an impact?

This graphic is from the CRL slider install doc and just adding it for the profile view. Worth noting the CRL slider is treated like a factory non-slider install so that's why it shows the wider channel used by the factory slider as incorrect.

Gary - yes you could pull the lock strip out and replace it. When removing mine by just pulling it, it kept snapping into little pieces so if pulling a brittle one again I'd grab a wedge trim tool (which is what I used to install the new one also) and work it under as you pull so you aren't having to stop and start a bunch.

Good to know, Scott. Thanks! That tip will help - when I get to that point. (Boy, do I have a LOT to do on this truck!)

Hey John,

Thank you, Scott. Did you apply the chrome strip after the install on your truck? If so, how difficult and what tools needed?

When I had my truck repainted 6-7 years ago, the guy that painted it installed a new gasket and I watched him do it. He had that window in and completed out in a snap. He used no sealant and the gasket fit nicely and never leaked. I helped him from the bed side and for the life of me, I can't remember the dang chrome piece install.

Thank you, Scott. Did you apply the chrome strip after the install on your truck? If so, how difficult and what tools needed?

When I had my truck repainted 6-7 years ago, the guy that painted it installed a new gasket and I watched him do it. He had that window in and completed out in a snap. He used no sealant and the gasket fit nicely and never leaked. I helped him from the bed side and for the life of me, I can't remember the dang chrome piece install.

I did - after reading and getting some advice from here and on FTE.

I only used the yellow trim tools from HF. They worked well although I haven't used the tool from Lisle to compare. It wasn't terrible but wore my fingers out since you have to push really hard.

The sealant may have only been needed due to the aftermarket CLR. It comes with hard corner extensions but I am guessing they aren't quite enough.

Is that painter still around? :nabble_smiley_wink: