Bullnose Forums

How to reply to a particular post in a thread

Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious

No he didn't! But it's easy when "quoting" someone to edit what they said and make it look like they said something they never did say. Don't do that! I haven't seen it here, but on other boards I've (rarely) seen where someone changed what someone else said. If it's done for humor (and it's obvious that you did it) that's one thing. But if it's to make someone else look bad, or yourself look better? Don't do that.

But, there are times where editing a quite can be a good idea. For instance, I almost always delete out pictures someone else posted, just so we don't all have to wait for that picture to load multiple times when opening a page (I might keep a picture in if I'm commenting on it).

Or if I'm commenting on a specific part of a longer post I might delete all the rest of the post. But when I do that I'll put "...." in place of the text I deleted to make it more clear that the person said more (in case my editing takes something out of context).

Not saying others need to do it the way I do. But I do think everyone needs to be a little careful in this area. It's so easy to miscommunicate on a bulletin board!

Well said, Bob!