Bullnose Forums

change out automatic trans to manual

Brown

Welcome!

As Jim stated, the swap is very doable and sounds like you've got all you need.

Just to entertain sticking with the auto - not sure where you are located but that sounds high for a drop off rebuild. Mine was something like 750 and most of that was labor. If you feel like rebuilding it yourself, out of pocket wouldn't be too bad.

Just a follow up on the auto. Trans. rebuild, I talked to a owner of a local transmission shop and he said somewhere between $800. and $900. for a drop off. I sure appreciate the information from everyone for the auto. to manual conversion. I will definitely recommend the Bullnose Forum to all of my Ford friends, you all are "good people" and have a wealth of knowledge.

Just a follow up on the auto. Trans. rebuild, I talked to a owner of a local transmission shop and he said somewhere between $800. and $900. for a drop off. I sure appreciate the information from everyone for the auto. to manual conversion. I will definitely recommend the Bullnose Forum to all of my Ford friends, you all are "good people" and have a wealth of knowledge.

That sounds a lot better. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yep, that's much more like what I'd expect of a rebuilt C6. And you can probably beef it up for a bit more.

• 1 month later...

Yates Center in my home state? (Originally from Ark City.) Cool! I had a fraternity brother from there, but I can't remember his name.

Anyway, you are now on the map.

I thought I would let you guys know the that I decided to remove the C6 and BW1345 transfer case and take them to the shop for rebuild as I needed to get the old girl back on the job. I installed them and they seem to be working very good. The transmission rebuild and rebuilt torque converter cost $970.00 and the transfer case rebuild cost $300.00, transfer case has new chain and seals and I had a new speedometer driver gear installed,

which leads me to another question, the speedo has not worked in years and it does now but is jerky and a bit noisy. What do you guys recommend for speedometer cable lube? It is possibly what caused the driver gear to strip out in the past but it's been so long ago I do not remember.

I thought I would let you guys know the that I decided to remove the C6 and BW1345 transfer case and take them to the shop for rebuild as I needed to get the old girl back on the job. I installed them and they seem to be working very good. The transmission rebuild and rebuilt torque converter cost $970.00 and the transfer case rebuild cost $300.00, transfer case has new chain and seals and I had a new speedometer driver gear installed,

which leads me to another question, the speedo has not worked in years and it does now but is jerky and a bit noisy. What do you guys recommend for speedometer cable lube? It is possibly what caused the driver gear to strip out in the past but it's been so long ago I do not remember.

Glad the t-case and tranny worked out so well. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the speedo cable, I just went through this on Big Blue. Couldn't find the traditional graphite lube specifically for speedo cables, so I bought two different dry lubes, as outlined here. Seems to have worked out very well.

Glad the t-case and tranny worked out so well. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the speedo cable, I just went through this on Big Blue. Couldn't find the traditional graphite lube specifically for speedo cables, so I bought two different dry lubes, as outlined here. Seems to have worked out very well.

Thanks Gary, I appreciate the information on the speedo, I also wanted thank you for the LMC part numbers I read on one of your post concerning the heavy rubber bushings (2 upper and 2 lower) for the heavy duty cross member for the transmission, I realize these are body bushings and will keep a eye on them for deterioration. My top bushings were practically gone and the tab on the right side of the top piece had wore through the bottom main cross member, wow it could have dropped and I would have had a disaster. I welded the damage and installed the new bushings. The factory bushings are impossible to find.

Your information got my truck up and running.

Thanks Gary, I appreciate the information on the speedo, I also wanted thank you for the LMC part numbers I read on one of your post concerning the heavy rubber bushings (2 upper and 2 lower) for the heavy duty cross member for the transmission, I realize these are body bushings and will keep a eye on them for deterioration. My top bushings were practically gone and the tab on the right side of the top piece had wore through the bottom main cross member, wow it could have dropped and I would have had a disaster. I welded the damage and installed the new bushings. The factory bushings are impossible to find.

Your information got my truck up and running.

Welcome! Glad it got you going.