Bullnose Forums

Black Beauty has AOD shifting issues

Greg 85

Greg - The MPC has this entry but I'm not sure that's it:

Because it shows it here and that's not the one in the other illustration:

Other than that it doesn't list any other springs I think it could be. So, maybe you can put a throttle return spring there?

It states that it is on "HOLD", but who knows?

https://sunparts.ecrater.com/p/20985172/genuine-ford-oem-spring-e0az

More:

https://www.rearcounter.com/E0AZ-7F292-B-parts1397894.html

Greg - The fact that pumping the pedal, which moves the TV cable, makes it work well for a short period suggests to me that something is slipping in the adjustment. Are you sure that everything is properly secured?

As for how to adjust it, I'd take Ford's word for it before I believed someone on Youtube that I don't know. Ford's factory shop manual section is at Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic Transmissions/Automatic Over Drive (AOD).

Gary, I didn't see the second part of your message until today. I went in and read up on it and a lot of good information in there and I will attempt an adjustment soon. I do have a question though, on page 17-20-13 of the AOD transmission section, the photo # D4802-1A shows a retention spring for the 4.9 and 5.0L EFI engine. Is that still available? This could be my issue as on mine there isn't one there.:nabble_smiley_unhappy:

I believe from the AODs I have rebuilt and worked on, that the spring was more for the throttle rod used on carbureted engines as the weight of the rod needed to be taken off the throttle valve.

If you are positive you have verified the top isn't moving, I would go underneath and establish the "at rest" position of the TV lever (it will point up on yours as it pulls rather than pushes). Once that is done drive it until it starts the late shifts and without "resetting" it drive home and measure again. If the cable has changed setting at the bottom, see if there is slack up top, if not, try pulling back on the TV lever until you feel something change. If you can't feel a change, check up top for something in the throttle plate linkage, including a loose lever on the throttle shaft or a binding or bent piece.

If you can find no changes externally, then the problem is inside the transmission, probably something broken or sticking in the TV system.

I believe from the AODs I have rebuilt and worked on, that the spring was more for the throttle rod used on carbureted engines as the weight of the rod needed to be taken off the throttle valve.

If you are positive you have verified the top isn't moving, I would go underneath and establish the "at rest" position of the TV lever (it will point up on yours as it pulls rather than pushes). Once that is done drive it until it starts the late shifts and without "resetting" it drive home and measure again. If the cable has changed setting at the bottom, see if there is slack up top, if not, try pulling back on the TV lever until you feel something change. If you can't feel a change, check up top for something in the throttle plate linkage, including a loose lever on the throttle shaft or a binding or bent piece.

If you can find no changes externally, then the problem is inside the transmission, probably something broken or sticking in the TV system.

Okay so now we are getting somewhere. The spring I thought was missing turns out it is just used for the 5.0L EFI AOD's for adjustment only. Which is my set up. So I found a 10 lb spring in my tool box, measured against a fish lip scale. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: and then proceeded with the adjustment as per the instructions provided by Gary. Teat drove, shifts 1-2 @3200 2-3 @3200 & 3-4@3400 and I said that ain't gonna work, so I took two clicks out on the adjustment and test drove. This time looking at mph, 1-2 @28 2-3 @45 & 3-4 @58. Took two more clicks out and now shifting 15/35/53 under light acceleration and 18/40/60 under medium. I believe I will leave it here for now and drive a couple days to see how it acts. Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!

Okay so now we are getting somewhere. The spring I thought was missing turns out it is just used for the 5.0L EFI AOD's for adjustment only. Which is my set up. So I found a 10 lb spring in my tool box, measured against a fish lip scale. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: and then proceeded with the adjustment as per the instructions provided by Gary. Teat drove, shifts 1-2 @3200 2-3 @3200 & 3-4@3400 and I said that ain't gonna work, so I took two clicks out on the adjustment and test drove. This time looking at mph, 1-2 @28 2-3 @45 & 3-4 @58. Took two more clicks out and now shifting 15/35/53 under light acceleration and 18/40/60 under medium. I believe I will leave it here for now and drive a couple days to see how it acts. Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!

Now that's PROGRESS! And, as Jim say, progress is good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Happy Thanksgiving!