Bullnose Forums

Head Gaskets on 302 EFI

Gsmblue

The time is coming...

I have been pushing my luck with the truck, it is clearly suffering from a blown head gasket. Sweet smelling exhaust, using coolant, white muck in the oil at the last change.

I am getting estimates of $3k + to tackle this job!

So the question is, how hard is it to do the head gaskets? What are the stumbling blocks? I have only gone as far as pulling an intake before and I don't have shop impact tools to deal with rusty exhaust manifold bolts. Is this something I could take on or should I keep calling the local shops?

You can do it. And for FAR less than $3K even if you have to (get to? :nabble_smiley_evil:) buy a ton of tools!

Seriously though, I've not see a need for an impact to get exhaust bolts out. Or any of the bolts involved for that matter. The hardest part of the whole job is handling the heavy heads, and to do that I'd suggest a step platform of some kind that raises you just high enough to reach over the fender. And with a blanket on the fender you can lift the head on/off.

The job takes me some time as I want to be very thorough and CLEAN everything to ensure the gaskets seal. And, in your case I'd wonder if it was the head gasket's fault or if maybe the head is cracked, so I might have them magnafluxed. And I'd also wonder if it was time for a valve job with new guides and seals. But even with that you aren't going to top $400 in my guess.

I am going to jump on the band wagon with Gary, R&R a set of heads on a 302/5.0 is not brain segurie and it is not the space shuttle. Air tools do make it nice but are not required. You dont even want to use them on the exhaust manifold bolts! Just slow, steady pressure on a long handled 3/8 drive ratchet. Use old card board box lids and poke holes in them and number them to keep the push rods and rocker arms in the same cylinder.

Something that I have figured out in my old age is to use an engine hoist to take out the heads one at a time..........Here is how I do it, get all of the head bolts out, bold a chain to the rocker studs and take up most of the slack, then break the gasket seal and use the hoist to lift the head out. Make sure that the alingment dowles ether stayed in the head or the block as you will need them to put it back together.

If you dont do any thing else to the heads, take them in and have them magnafluxed and checked for cracks before you put it back together

I am going to jump on the band wagon with Gary, R&R a set of heads on a 302/5.0 is not brain segurie and it is not the space shuttle. Air tools do make it nice but are not required. You dont even want to use them on the exhaust manifold bolts! Just slow, steady pressure on a long handled 3/8 drive ratchet. Use old card board box lids and poke holes in them and number them to keep the push rods and rocker arms in the same cylinder.

Something that I have figured out in my old age is to use an engine hoist to take out the heads one at a time..........Here is how I do it, get all of the head bolts out, bold a chain to the rocker studs and take up most of the slack, then break the gasket seal and use the hoist to lift the head out. Make sure that the alingment dowles ether stayed in the head or the block as you will need them to put it back together.

If you dont do any thing else to the heads, take them in and have them magnafluxed and checked for cracks before you put it back together

I agree 100%. I would have suggested the engine hoist but doubt he has one. However that's the way I take them off and put them on in the vehicle. And an engine hoist isn't that expensive. :nabble_smiley_good:

I agree 100%. I would have suggested the engine hoist but doubt he has one. However that's the way I take them off and put them on in the vehicle. And an engine hoist isn't that expensive. :nabble_smiley_good:

Good news that no airtools are needed. But now I am worried about cracked heads.

The rear main seal is gone too, so I am wondering how deep the cancer is... The engine is probably in need of a complete rebuild at this point, much like the Bronco engine..

If I had a heated shop, i would be more willing to take this on, but as I don't I am stuck as what to do.

Part of me wants to take the truck in to a good shop and have it fully diagnose and a plan for rebuilding the engine undertaken, part of me wants to limp it through till it dies and then grab a 302 from the breakers and drop it in.

Good news that no airtools are needed. But now I am worried about cracked heads.

The rear main seal is gone too, so I am wondering how deep the cancer is... The engine is probably in need of a complete rebuild at this point, much like the Bronco engine..

If I had a heated shop, i would be more willing to take this on, but as I don't I am stuck as what to do.

Part of me wants to take the truck in to a good shop and have it fully diagnose and a plan for rebuilding the engine undertaken, part of me wants to limp it through till it dies and then grab a 302 from the breakers and drop it in.

I think I'd consider a crate engine and be done with it. If you buy that engine hoist it won't be a whole lot more work to replace the engine than just the heads.

I should have said that I believe you can have a new crate engine for the $3k you were quoted.

I wouldn’t pay $3k for a head gasket job, no way. I’m with Gary on that one. Do you know how good of heads you can buy for $1.5k to $2k? That would be a good excuse to gain a healthy amount of horsepower and torque:nabble_smiley_evil: although it might not be the best decision if the motor is worn out.

I’d do a simple health check on the motor. Obviously you have a head gasket problem but what does compression look like? how many leaks? how many knock knock noises? If it’s time then it’s time but if it ain’t broke then you save some money. But if it’s just the head gasket leak I’d go ahead and have the heads checked for cracks and redone. The longest part about a job like that is getting everything clean to insure a good seal. With farming the heads out to rebuilt they’ll also be cleaned and look all nice, you might even feel inclined to paint them. The most I’ve paid to have a set redone is $300 but things are cheaper where I’m at. By the time you get done cleaning them and checking them you’ll have wished you have had someone to do them. Unless you’re like me, I’m a glutton for punishment and doing things myself lol

I wouldn’t hesitate one second to replace head gaskets myself. It’s completely doable for a competent fella

I wouldn’t pay $3k for a head gasket job, no way. I’m with Gary on that one. Do you know how good of heads you can buy for $1.5k to $2k? That would be a good excuse to gain a healthy amount of horsepower and torque:nabble_smiley_evil: although it might not be the best decision if the motor is worn out.

I’d do a simple health check on the motor. Obviously you have a head gasket problem but what does compression look like? how many leaks? how many knock knock noises? If it’s time then it’s time but if it ain’t broke then you save some money. But if it’s just the head gasket leak I’d go ahead and have the heads checked for cracks and redone. The longest part about a job like that is getting everything clean to insure a good seal. With farming the heads out to rebuilt they’ll also be cleaned and look all nice, you might even feel inclined to paint them. The most I’ve paid to have a set redone is $300 but things are cheaper where I’m at. By the time you get done cleaning them and checking them you’ll have wished you have had someone to do them. Unless you’re like me, I’m a glutton for punishment and doing things myself lol

I wouldn’t hesitate one second to replace head gaskets myself. It’s completely doable for a competent fella

Different car and engine, but something I found interesting. I did the head gaskets on the 2000 Xterra we now own.

Got the factory service manual, and Nissan said to pull the exhaust manifolds with the heads, never did that before. It worked, and since a hoist was mentioned, I thought I would mention it.

I didn’t use a hoist, but would have if I had one, definitely would with a heavy 8 cylinder head.

Different car and engine, but something I found interesting. I did the head gaskets on the 2000 Xterra we now own.

Got the factory service manual, and Nissan said to pull the exhaust manifolds with the heads, never did that before. It worked, and since a hoist was mentioned, I thought I would mention it.

I didn’t use a hoist, but would have if I had one, definitely would with a heavy 8 cylinder head.

Thanks for all the input, I am going to take her into a few shops and get some estimates for the work. The EFI engine seems a lot more daunting to switch out, with all the egr and sensors...