Bullnose Forum

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

Well, it is snowing so this will have ti wait 2 weeks until i get back from my work trip.. grrrr...

So i went through, checked all my cables, cleaned connections, added another block to frame ground strap.

Nothing.

Pulled the starter, had it tested, it was tired so i changed it out.

Nothing.

I looked at that new starter relay. Got a replacement.

Fired right up.

I am happy and very mad in equal measure.

So i went through, checked all my cables, cleaned connections, added another block to frame ground strap.

Nothing.

Pulled the starter, had it tested, it was tired so i changed it out.

Nothing.

I looked at that new starter relay. Got a replacement.

Fired right up.

I am happy and very mad in equal measure.

Well, now you know everything is up to snuff. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well, now you know everything is up to snuff. :nabble_smiley_wink:

It is a minor miracle I wrote that post with no expletives! :nabble_smiley_oh:

I think my wife was the sounded board for the blue language, she is also British and swears like a sailor..

Tomorrow i can do something meaningful, like rejet the carb and troubleshoot the air diverter.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a minor miracle I wrote that post with no expletives! :nabble_smiley_oh:

I think my wife was the sounded board for the blue language, she is also British and swears like a sailor..

Tomorrow i can do something meaningful, like rejet the carb and troubleshoot the air diverter.

I managed to change out 6 of 8 spark plugs..

#2 and #3 barely have room to get a socket on them, it was 26 outside and I couldn’t feel my fingers!

The headers are Edlebrock and super twisty, never seen anything like it!

In other news my heating diverter is not diverting and i can hear a high pitch whistling at idle.. these must be vacuum related, right?

The diverter slider never felt good but it used to change air around. I will try and pull it on friday when i am home..

I got some boom pads for the rear speakers, what a difference. Going to do the front ones soon too.

I managed to change out 6 of 8 spark plugs..

#2 and #3 barely have room to get a socket on them, it was 26 outside and I couldn’t feel my fingers!

The headers are Edlebrock and super twisty, never seen anything like it!

In other news my heating diverter is not diverting and i can hear a high pitch whistling at idle.. these must be vacuum related, right?

The diverter slider never felt good but it used to change air around. I will try and pull it on friday when i am home..

I got some boom pads for the rear speakers, what a difference. Going to do the front ones soon too.

Were your fingers "GSM" blue? (Whatever color that is.) :nabble_smiley_evil:

Yes, the whistle is probably vacuum. If you have the factory A/C system the slider should be controlling the vacuum valve, and they usually get stiff in their old age - is that what you meant by not feeling good? I freed one up with silicone spray, but I doubt that will fix a vacuum leak.

Were your fingers "GSM" blue? (Whatever color that is.) :nabble_smiley_evil:

Yes, the whistle is probably vacuum. If you have the factory A/C system the slider should be controlling the vacuum valve, and they usually get stiff in their old age - is that what you meant by not feeling good? I freed one up with silicone spray, but I doubt that will fix a vacuum leak.

Haha! Yes! That handle is an evolution over time and is nicely random!

I am going to remove the slider assembly for inspection and cleaning...

• 3 weeks later...

Haha! Yes! That handle is an evolution over time and is nicely random!

I am going to remove the slider assembly for inspection and cleaning...

Small update:

I got the rest of the spark plugs changed out. It was tricky, but using a ratchet wrench on the end of the spark plug socket got me there.

The high pitch noise was coming from the passenger side valve cover. Using the old piece of hose to the ear trick I tracked it down. HonestlyI was never happy with how that sat, it appears that the air is coming out, so I am changing the gasket, adding in studs instead of bolts and putting in a new PCV valve.

A replacement air diverter valve is on its way and should be here for the weekend.

As mentioned elsewhere, a major audio upgrade is happening this weekend... I will post pics and report on how it goes...

Small update:

I got the rest of the spark plugs changed out. It was tricky, but using a ratchet wrench on the end of the spark plug socket got me there.

The high pitch noise was coming from the passenger side valve cover. Using the old piece of hose to the ear trick I tracked it down. HonestlyI was never happy with how that sat, it appears that the air is coming out, so I am changing the gasket, adding in studs instead of bolts and putting in a new PCV valve.

A replacement air diverter valve is on its way and should be here for the weekend.

As mentioned elsewhere, a major audio upgrade is happening this weekend... I will post pics and report on how it goes...

High pitched noise from the valve cover? And air coming out? Sounds like the PCV valve isn't working.

Anyway, you have a big weekend planned. :nabble_anim_claps:

High pitched noise from the valve cover? And air coming out? Sounds like the PCV valve isn't working.

Anyway, you have a big weekend planned. :nabble_anim_claps:

Exactly. I am just done with work and off to buy a new PCV valve!

Looking forward to a fun weekend 😎

Exactly. I am just done with work and off to buy a new PCV valve!

Looking forward to a fun weekend 😎

Well, that was frustrating.

The old PCV valve (actually a breather as you can see in the video) was working fine, I replaced it, left it off and the noise continues. It is a high pitch whine that is now getting worse and is tracking with engine RPM.

I am doing a horrible job of trouble shooting this and probably need to start over in daylight tomorrow. I have tried a few things:

1. pulled off different vacuum hoses to see if that makes a difference - nope.

2. loosened the alternator belt to see if any change (the alternator is relatively new) - nope

3. loosens the bolts holding the carb on, engine revs changed, noise did not. righted the bolts up nice and snug - no change.

4. removed passenger side valve cover, cleaned up, new gasket new studs and nuts. Noise went away for 10 mins and came back worse. right before this change the engine was making the noise, made this change and went away... hence I think it could be related to this.

5. checked oil, is a little low. I will top up tomorrow.

6. had both valve cover vents open, no change.

Things that have changed recently

1. new alternator

2. new starter

3. new starter relay

4. new gasket on the passenger side valve cover.

Some thoughts:

1. could the gasket I am using not be ideal? any risk here? It is a felpro blue foam one. Could I have installed it incorrectly?

2. does this noise sound like a bearing or vacuum?

3. could it be header or intake related?

4. I tried removing the passenger side valve cover tonight, but I have over tightened one of the nut and can't undo it, it is the top middle one, where I thought the sound was coming from... I will try and attack it again tomorrow.

I cut the hose I used as a stethoscope the other day and I am now without that tool. doh.... I will get one tomorrow when I get some soil to top up.

It still sounds like it is coming from the passenger side rear of the engine at the top.

Here are some vids:

If anyone recognizes this sound please let me know! Tomorrow I am going to do the following:

1. Buy a hose and try and track the source of the noise down.

2. remove and reseat the passenger side valve cover again...

3. walk the dog and try not to stress about it all!

As always, any thoughts/input would be appreciated.

P.S - I made progress with the audio stuff, so at least I can drown the noise out with that....