Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

Progress is slow. This weekend has not let me get done what I needed to get done. But a couple of small things happened.

More gasket scrapping on the intake manifold. Pretty sure it is as clean as it is going to get.

Two of the bolts for the intake were in bad shape, the ones at the front by the coolant channels, so I ordered up ARP bolts for the manifold and matching bolts for the valve covers. Should arrive on tuesday.

Installed the new steering column. It feels so much better. Everything is tight and precise. Very happy even if it was expensive..

Also installed a Borgeson intermediate steering shaft. I need the steering to feel tight, this thing needs to feel secure for the wife.. as I have so much invested in the steering it seemed worthwhile. I won’t know until I have her running again.

On the plus side, the hazard lights are working now!

Managed to get the idiot light filters glued back in, 3 of them were damaged.

Removed all thr shitty aftermarket driving light wires to the frony and to the back up lights.

Installed the stock Ford grill from the wreckers instead of the shitty aftermarket one that was there. The Ford emblem is hidden now though..

Ordered up a pair for KC Daylighters for the bull bar! I always wanted them on a truck, the covers with the smiley faces are iconic!

Good work! I agree 100% on the priority of handling and road manners, especially on a super short wheelbase Bronco, and especially with the wife driving it. I’ve heard very good things about the Borgeson steering shafts. That and red head steering boxes are supposed to make a big difference.

Good work! I agree 100% on the priority of handling and road manners, especially on a super short wheelbase Bronco, and especially with the wife driving it. I’ve heard very good things about the Borgeson steering shafts. That and red head steering boxes are supposed to make a big difference.

There's been some bad press lately about RedHead steering boxes. Apparently an employee from there has started a new company named BlueTop and supposedly it has better reviews. But I still have a RedHead for Dad's truck. :nabble_smiley_wink:

There's been some bad press lately about RedHead steering boxes. Apparently an employee from there has started a new company named BlueTop and supposedly it has better reviews. But I still have a RedHead for Dad's truck. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Good tip... I had not heard.

Good tip... I had not heard.

Indeed. If the steering is still sub par, then the steering box is next!

I have more money into the steering than the rest of the truck!

Indeed. If the steering is still sub par, then the steering box is next!

I have more money into the steering than the rest of the truck!

There are two ways to replace the steering box:

• A "remanufactured" box from someone like Cardone will make a big difference.

• A better-built box from someone like RedHead or BlueTop will make a bigger difference. Ford used the cast iron case as the lower bearing, and while it is constantly being lubed it still wears. A remanufactured box still uses that worn bearing. However these two companies bore the spot out and press in an actual bearing, meaning the box is better than new.

There are two ways to replace the steering box:

• A "remanufactured" box from someone like Cardone will make a big difference.

• A better-built box from someone like RedHead or BlueTop will make a bigger difference. Ford used the cast iron case as the lower bearing, and while it is constantly being lubed it still wears. A remanufactured box still uses that worn bearing. However these two companies bore the spot out and press in an actual bearing, meaning the box is better than new.

I have an eye on the blue top...

I want to see how this Bronco feels with the replacement intermediate shaft that eliminates the rag joint. I suspect it will feel much firmer, the tie rods all have new bushings too.

When I wiggle the steering wheel I am not seeing much slop from the box.

I need to get this engine back together so I can take her for a spin. The intake manifold bolts should arrive tomorrow.. should be an exciting week for Espy..

Oh, the wife is back on Saturday... if I pick her up from the airport in the Bronco she may have a fit!

I have an eye on the blue top...

I want to see how this Bronco feels with the replacement intermediate shaft that eliminates the rag joint. I suspect it will feel much firmer, the tie rods all have new bushings too.

When I wiggle the steering wheel I am not seeing much slop from the box.

I need to get this engine back together so I can take her for a spin. The intake manifold bolts should arrive tomorrow.. should be an exciting week for Espy..

Oh, the wife is back on Saturday... if I pick her up from the airport in the Bronco she may have a fit!

A good fit or a bad fit?

A good fit or a bad fit?

Definitely a good fit. It all feels very nice.

The borgeson column needs to be trimmed to length, but that is super easy, even if their instructions are not great.

So far very happy with both purchases.