Bullnose Forums

Bullnose under hood light, LED bulb?

Anybody found an LED bulb that fits in to replace the type 68 incandescent in this device?

There isn't enough room under that plastic dome for the bulky LED bulbs that I have on hand.

They need to have that dual contact base. The socket does not ground it.

UnderhoodLight.png.2e8275b3ecef1254fde8076811ac60c1.png

11581.thumb.jpg.dd2f18be097a26ebc846052b23e8dbe9.jpg

https://www.lmctruck.com/1980-96-ford/under-hood/fd-1980-86-utility-lamp-components-engine-compartment

Along somewhat similar lines, anyone ever take the retractable assembly apart? Or even better, advise on how to make it retract more fully? My unit retracts minimally.

Just did this for you, John. Don't take the two halves apart - like I did. Make SURE you pull the whole spool out as a unit. :nabble_smiley_cry:

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Underhood_Light_Halves.thumb.jpg.55e7093677767395f9c418d6422cc3f8.jpg

Underhood_Light_Spring.thumb.jpg.e83060b604d6158ee9142f223f1f92f7.jpg

Underhood_Light_Ratchet.thumb.jpg.a05337bd2ba7c6229cfd93106c9d55b5.jpg

Just did this for you, John. Don't take the two halves apart - like I did. Make SURE you pull the whole spool out as a unit. :nabble_smiley_cry:

:nabble_smiley_evil:

That's funny, Gary! Funny, because springs and I don't get along and I'd be right there with you! I've been messing with it a little bit and it seems to be working better. Wondering if I could spray a powdered graphite in there or something? You're an engineer, thoughts?

Curious, why did you take yours apart?

Thanks!

That's funny, Gary! Funny, because springs and I don't get along and I'd be right there with you! I've been messing with it a little bit and it seems to be working better. Wondering if I could spray a powdered graphite in there or something? You're an engineer, thoughts?

Thanks!

I used spray silicone lube. It seemed to work well and the one I did it on has worked nicely for some time.

The ones I've taken apart didn't have any grease on the Nylon ratchet mechanism, so I wouldn't use any there.

Thanks!

Oh, I missed the "why". I had several broken ones and made a good one out of the parts. But I'm not sure I will take the time to fix that spring. And I have a broken connector to the mercury switch. So I have parts left over.