Bullnose Forums

FS6 A/C Compressor Clutch Question

The crown vic has both the clutch fan and the huge electric fan. when you start the car and put the ac on, the electric fan starts up. This was one of the reasons i started a thread about electric condenser fans. I wanted to put one in the front of the condenser on the truck, but after installing the system, i feel there is no need for one, let alone the room. although i would like to put one, there is just no room. Also on the crown vic, the computer has some to do with the ac, ie: if you accelerate hard, the computer shuts the compressor off until the car gets back into overdrive

In thinking back. When R134a came out and the price of r12 went through the roof i did a retrofit on the 88 parts truck, it was not a parts truck at the time. at the time there was no real research done and i just assumed you put as much r134a as r12. Well, that was wrong, while the truck was running and i was charging, it got ice cold, just like r12, then when i shut the truck off, you know what happened. BAMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!! blew out the seals in the compresser. It was at that time i started doing the research and found out about the head preasure of 134a vs 12. When i did the first retrofit on Brutus, i did it the correct way, or at least the correct amount of 134a. fill to 80 percent capacity, but at this time there was no real information on oil so i continued to use the mineral oil for the r12 system. While it did work, it did not work well until the truck was driven at highway speeds and only then did it blow somewhat cold. Later on, i was in the junk yard and found a 84 f150 with a fully functioning r12 system. I pulled the whole ac circle in tact and put it in the truck. As time went by, that system failed due to age and was at that point Brutus wasn't in good condition anymore so i left it alone. Once we decided Brutus had to be fixed up as the daily driver, i started my research again when i bought all new components for the ac system. Everything in the system, and i mean everything is brand new. During my research i found out that the pag 46 oil required for the fs6 using 134a is not compatable with the mineral oil of r12. It was at that point i decided to go with all new everything so i could start fresh

All of my calculations were very precise, but like i said, at idle, this system blows ice cold, not quite as cold as 12, but darn close, so i cant really say if it is the fact that i'm using the correct pag46 oil in a new system, or if in fact it is the ice32 in the oil.