Bullnose Forums

Ball Joint Question

82F150I6

I'm changing out the ball joints on the 82 F150 4x4. I ran into an issue trying to install the lower ball joint on the passenger side. I can't fully press the lower ball joint into the knuckle. I removed the new ball joint and tried again, same result. Then I had a look at the old ball joint and noticed how the pressed area was scraped completely clean and smooth by the removal process (pic).

So what's going on here? and what do I do to fix it?

20201106_074758a.jpg.9b1992b68fc076608ff6e66a1d72c2a2.jpg

this is the first time I am replacing ball joints. I do have the Moogs and assumed that the spline was standard.

Yes, the spline area is smooth. both the ball joints from the driver side, and the upper from the passenger side still had splines when I removed them so I assumed that this one would, too.

I can't seem to press the ball joint in far enough to expose the snap ring area. any suggestions?

Replacement ball joint on top, original on the bottom:

20201106_074843a.jpg.4469695d16c939727595e88b8c3095fe.jpg

this is the first time I am replacing ball joints. I do have the Moogs and assumed that the spline was standard.

Yes, the spline area is smooth. both the ball joints from the driver side, and the upper from the passenger side still had splines when I removed them so I assumed that this one would, too.

I can't seem to press the ball joint in far enough to expose the snap ring area. any suggestions?

Replacement ball joint on top, original on the bottom:

Just a follow-up. I finally got the darned lower ball joint installed.

To do so I cleaned the knuckle (once again) with wire wheel, emery cloth and round filed the edges for burrs until the entire site was shiny and clean, then put a thin coat of axle grease on the ball joint. even with the additional prep I had to use the Hi setting on the cordless impact wrench to fully seat the ball joint.

One thing for sure, there's no danger of this booger ever coming loose.

To do so I cleaned the knuckle (once again) with wire wheel, emery cloth and round filed the edges for burrs until the entire site was shiny and clean, then put a thin coat of axle grease on the ball joint. even with the additional prep I had to use the Hi setting on the cordless impact wrench to fully seat the ball joint.

I believe Murphys Law dictates it will fall out! :nabble_smiley_grin:

Glad you got it in! And you are right, it won't be coming out w/o a lot of work.