Bullnose Forums

TPS

mp470

Try not to pierce the insulation, it will allow moisture in and corrode the wires. Orange/white is 5V reference, remember to measure to black/white not ground. The dark green may have had a light green 33 years ago, that is the TPS output and it should be around 1 volt to the black/white at closed throttle, rising to 4+ at WOT.

If you are getting no voltage on the green wire, TPS is probably bad, and I don't envy you changing it.

Haynes manuals, if they are on regular paper can be used in lieu of a Sears catalog as a TP substitute, especially when it comes to wiring.

Thanks kindly. I will put liquid electrical tape on all the piercings I did under the hood. 5V checks out both at EEC and at the TPS. Voltage changes properly with opening and closing throttle plate. Resistance is within spec at rest (between 3 and 4k ohms). However there is no change in resistance when opening and closing the throttle. Sensor toast?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks kindly. I will put liquid electrical tape on all the piercings I did under the hood. 5V checks out both at EEC and at the TPS. Voltage changes properly with opening and closing throttle plate. Resistance is within spec at rest (between 3 and 4k ohms). However there is no change in resistance when opening and closing the throttle. Sensor toast?

If the voltage is changing it is working, when checking resistance, where did you check? orange to black/white will be constant, orange or black/white to green will vary, green to black/white will be quite low at closed throttle and increase as you open it, green to orange will be high at closed throttle and decrease as you open it.

Throttle Position Sensor

Rotational Angle Signal Voltage

0 Under Travel 0

10 0.45

13 Closed Throttle 0.901

20 - 1.44

30 1.9

40 2.37

50 2.84

60 3.31

70 3.78

80 4.24

84 Full Throttle 4.538

90 Over Travel 4.538

100 5

Values were calculated for VREF = 5.0 volts.

These values may vary 3 percent due to sensor

and VREF variations.

Maybe these will help, it didn't completely copy the way I wanted it too, all the voltage values were supposed to be all the way to the right, in a column.

If the voltage is changing it is working, when checking resistance, where did you check? orange to black/white will be constant, orange or black/white to green will vary, green to black/white will be quite low at closed throttle and increase as you open it, green to orange will be high at closed throttle and decrease as you open it.

Throttle Position Sensor

Rotational Angle Signal Voltage

0 Under Travel 0

10 0.45

13 Closed Throttle 0.901

20 - 1.44

30 1.9

40 2.37

50 2.84

60 3.31

70 3.78

80 4.24

84 Full Throttle 4.538

90 Over Travel 4.538

100 5

Values were calculated for VREF = 5.0 volts.

These values may vary 3 percent due to sensor

and VREF variations.

Maybe these will help, it didn't completely copy the way I wanted it too, all the voltage values were supposed to be all the way to the right, in a column.

You're right, I realized I was checking the wrong wires. Everything checks out OK with the TPS end to end. Now onto other sensors.

Ok, maybe Gary will want to put these in a reference area, but here are the values for some of the sensors, I may have to dig to find the EGR position values.

ACT values are the same as the ECT. I hope this will help in troubleshooting. The voltages are measured to the sensor signal return, circuit #359, not to ground, on the ECT and ACT resistance is across the two pins with the harness unplugged.

You read my mind here, after doing all that, I got a code for the ACT. Whereabouts is it located?

Ok, maybe Gary will want to put these in a reference area, but here are the values for some of the sensors, I may have to dig to find the EGR position values.

ACT values are the same as the ECT. I hope this will help in troubleshooting. The voltages are measured to the sensor signal return, circuit #359, not to ground, on the ECT and ACT resistance is across the two pins with the harness unplugged.

Bill - That's good info. But is it for all Bullnoses or for a specific year/engine combo?

You read my mind here, after doing all that, I got a code for the ACT. Whereabouts is it located?

In the driver's side of the intake, I believe in #6 cylinder runner, it and the ECT will look quite similar, but the ACT sits in an intake runner and the ECT in a cooling system section.

In the driver's side of the intake, I believe in #6 cylinder runner, it and the ECT will look quite similar, but the ACT sits in an intake runner and the ECT in a cooling system section.

Well that code went away, but messing with that whole harness is revealing some issues for sure. Now, back to square one with no start hot or start / stall. Not even terribly hot, starting it cold which it does like a dream, idles perfectly for 5-10 mins, shut engine off, crank no start. Spark is good at distributor so I can't imagine it would be the ICM (distributor-mounted). Fuel is coming through based only on the smell and the engine sounds flooded after multiple attempts. Stored codes are 31 and 63, both related to the earlier mentioned splice of orange/white wires and not to a starting issue. Never get a chance for KOER testing unless I do it cold which I understand is not recommended.