Bullnose Forums

Bronco... cheap...

Thanks for the feed back!!

This engine has some funky stuff going on. I wish I got more pics. I have not checked the fuel pressure personally.

The coil has a line going to the solenoid, the bright red wire in this pic.

Behind the black tool box there was some kinda brain box, but apparently that has been disconnected. Not sure if that is related to the duraspark.

There was fuel in the clear filter the whole time, but the tank is low on gas. I will pick up some clear tomorrow.

The story from the owner is "Well, I rebuilt the carb and it didn't work, so I did it again and found a small spring in the wrong place and fixed it. Then it started up, but won't stay running"

A very suspect story!

My friend has worked on Edlebrocks in the past, so he said he is going to look at it for me tomorrow and as a worst case we will just tow it back to my Ranch :) The current owner is convinced it is a carb issue as it was fine before he fixed it.

Does the solenoid have one small terminal or two?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid $900, the asking price. he just lost his job and needs to make rent :( I am such a soft touch...

I get to pick it up tomorrow :)

We managed to get it started, after I replace the wire from the starter solenoid to the coil. But it ran for a bit and died off. Infact, in the video below you can hear the throttle blip and then I stopped the video and and the engine just died out...

Any advice welcomed!

Sweet! I see under hood tool box! I always thought they were just a cool factor but I love mine and wonder what I would do without it now...

And did anyone else catch this? Did you say it had POWER MIRRORS??? Even if not working? Those are extremely rare!

Looking forward to more pics and details. Engine does not sound bad, hopefully it is just something silly keeping it from running...

Does the solenoid have one small terminal or two?

I think it had 2 terminals on the solenoid.

Power mirrors are not working, but I am excited ! I am sure it can be worked on :)

When I get her home I will post some better pics :)

I think it had 2 terminals on the solenoid.

Power mirrors are not working, but I am excited ! I am sure it can be worked on :)

When I get her home I will post some better pics :)

OK I checked and yes it still had the two terminal solenoid. The Duraspark used a resistance wire, like a points setup, but I didn't remember them still using the two terminal solenoid to get full voltage to the coil for starting. One of the things about a Duraspark that is not optimization. That wire going from the solenoid is to give more voltage just during starting. As soon as the key is released, the power comes from the ignition switch and is knocked down in voltage by the supplied resistance.

Thanks for the feed back!!

This engine has some funky stuff going on. I wish I got more pics. I have not checked the fuel pressure personally.

The coil has a line going to the solenoid, the bright red wire in this pic.

Behind the black tool box there was some kinda brain box, but apparently that has been disconnected. Not sure if that is related to the duraspark.

There was fuel in the clear filter the whole time, but the tank is low on gas. I will pick up some clear tomorrow.

The story from the owner is "Well, I rebuilt the carb and it didn't work, so I did it again and found a small spring in the wrong place and fixed it. Then it started up, but won't stay running"

A very suspect story!

My friend has worked on Edlebrocks in the past, so he said he is going to look at it for me tomorrow and as a worst case we will just tow it back to my Ranch :) The current owner is convinced it is a carb issue as it was fine before he fixed it.

Obviously the whole wiring thing is suspect since, as Pete points out, there's not supposed to be a wire from the solenoid to the coil. And, the "brain" is probably the DS-II ignition box, and w/o it I don't understand how it can run at all unless someone did put a point-style distributor in. So that area needs explored, for sure.

Since the filter stayed full the whole time maybe it isn't the fuel system. But the fact that he rebuilt the carb and, apparently, after that there's a problem raises red flags in my mind. So once you understand the ignition system and prove it is good then check out the fuel system.

But the engine sounded good while it was running. So hopefully there isn't much wrong. Good buy! :nabble_smiley_good:

OK I checked and yes it still had the two terminal solenoid. The Duraspark used a resistance wire, like a points setup, but I didn't remember them still using the two terminal solenoid to get full voltage to the coil for starting. One of the things about a Duraspark that is not optimization. That wire going from the solenoid is to give more voltage just during starting. As soon as the key is released, the power comes from the ignition switch and is knocked down in voltage by the supplied resistance.

Thanks Pete and Gary!

When it did run, boy did it sound nice!

I should have mentioned, yes, this has been covered back to points!

The rotor and cap looked in ok condition, but I did not check the gap on the points. I used a HEI spark tester and we had spark on a couple of the HT leads, so I guess the gap must be ok!

As this thing starts cold and and sound ok running but as it warms up it dies, could it be choke related? Any idea where the choke would be on this carb?

I am really happy about buying this truck, but boy, do I have my work cut out for me!!!

Thanks Pete and Gary!

When it did run, boy did it sound nice!

I should have mentioned, yes, this has been covered back to points!

The rotor and cap looked in ok condition, but I did not check the gap on the points. I used a HEI spark tester and we had spark on a couple of the HT leads, so I guess the gap must be ok!

As this thing starts cold and and sound ok running but as it warms up it dies, could it be choke related? Any idea where the choke would be on this carb?

I am really happy about buying this truck, but boy, do I have my work cut out for me!!!

Perhaps the choke is coming off way too soon, which would kill the engine. Or, maybe it has a vacuum leak and needs lots of choke.

The choke on that Eddy is on the passenger's side. Big black cap that can be adjusted by loosening three small screws. IIRC, CCW is rich and CW is lean, but there's a line on the cap and multiple lines on the carb. Should be close to the middle or index position if everything else is right.

Perhaps the choke is coming off way too soon, which would kill the engine. Or, maybe it has a vacuum leak and needs lots of choke.

The choke on that Eddy is on the passenger's side. Big black cap that can be adjusted by loosening three small screws. IIRC, CCW is rich and CW is lean, but there's a line on the cap and multiple lines on the carb. Should be close to the middle or index position if everything else is right.

Thanks Gary, great info!

I am like a kid at Christmas, I have to wait until 1pm then I can go get it!

Thanks Gary, great info!

I am like a kid at Christmas, I have to wait until 1pm then I can go get it!

I managed to drive her all the way home. There was one huge backfire that scared a runner!

The card is an Edelbrock 1406 so will get a rebuild kit and see how that goes!

I managed to drive her all the way home. There was one huge backfire that scared a runner!

The card is an Edelbrock 1406 so will get a rebuild kit and see how that goes!

Backfire doesn't sound like lack of choke - unless it died out as you gave it throttle, then caught and backfired.

But, congrat's! I'm looking forward to the journey.