Bullnose Forums

Glow Plug Operation

Jagg82

Some very good advice has been given so far. Here is my personal experience on my truck.

Purchased the truck not running. Simple search on how to test glow plugs (i like the resistance method) revealed majority of the plugs were not good. Replaced them all and truck fired right up. The controller was replaced about a year earlier, so i figured I should be good to go using the factory setup. Worked good for about a year and then...controller stuck and burnt all the plugs. Most recommend using motorcraft plugs and that is what i used. The local auto parts supplier wanted to sell me Autolites as they are the OEM replacements (I believe thats what it was, someone may have to correct me). I am from Canada, the local Ford dealer here pricing was quite a bit more then RockAuto, so thats where I ordered from (MOTORCRAFT ZD1A {#1804211C2, E5TZ12A342B). No swelling of the burnt plugs at all and they removed easily.

For those who know, no glow plugs, no start. So, I did not want to experience this again. I rewired them to a momentary switch, new ZD1A installed and it works perfect now. About 7-8 seconds usually for cold start. This would depend on the outside temperature of course. I give a few shorts bursts after start to help the engine out. Once its warm, no plug use. Like previously mentioned by someone, this could be an issue if others drive the truck. I am the only person who drives mine. Definitely prefer having control over them now. No worries of burning them out.

This is the switch I used, kind of reminds me of little missiles - closest thing I could find for a glow plug, lol.

swiotcvh.jpg.38127f76971c2088a9679597bf14d470.jpg

Here is a link to glow plugs that I have not seen before and wondering if anyone has used or heard of this company in Michigan. Here is link. https://www.accuratediesel.com/shop/1.html

I am considering trying them as they are American made. Any thoughts? This site is just for diesels. It’s where I ordered the new controller. Thanks for everyone’s help on this. It’s been an awesome learning experience!

Here is a link to glow plugs that I have not seen before and wondering if anyone has used or heard of this company in Michigan. Here is link. https://www.accuratediesel.com/shop/1.html

I am considering trying them as they are American made. Any thoughts? This site is just for diesels. It’s where I ordered the new controller. Thanks for everyone’s help on this. It’s been an awesome learning experience!

I have not heard of these... the only thing that gives me pause to wonder is that they do not name the brand (is it their own Accurate Diesel brand?). I do, however, like the idea of an American made product and they give a good sales pitch. I would say they are worth a try. The dogma of “no good aftermarket plugs” is something that started circulating on the internet over 10 years ago, and things may have changed. I had not heard of the solid state 6.9 controller that they sell either.

I have not heard of these... the only thing that gives me pause to wonder is that they do not name the brand (is it their own Accurate Diesel brand?). I do, however, like the idea of an American made product and they give a good sales pitch. I would say they are worth a try. The dogma of “no good aftermarket plugs” is something that started circulating on the internet over 10 years ago, and things may have changed. I had not heard of the solid state 6.9 controller that they sell either.

Good price, but I've had soooo much bad luck with IDI glow plugs over the years that I won't buy anything but Beru plugs. And since mine has a turbo, a couple of them are kinda hard to reach.

Good price, but I've had soooo much bad luck with IDI glow plugs over the years that I won't buy anything but Beru plugs. And since mine has a turbo, a couple of them are kinda hard to reach.

Oh I know what you are saying about the turbo. Dealing with that myself but it’s all good. I ordered them along with controller so hopping that they work fine.

Oh I know what you are saying about the turbo. Dealing with that myself but it’s all good. I ordered them along with controller so hopping that they work fine.

Please update with your experience. If they work well for you I may give them a shot and support an American manufacturer.

I will keep everyone posted on them. Thank you

Well I received new glow plugs and controller from https://www.accuratediesel.com/shop/1.html and now I have glow plugs that work! Engine was cold as got down to 30 last night and installed new parts today and now plugs stay on 8 sec and truck fired right off. The new glow plugs were relatively easy to do except the 2 under turbo but pulled those 2 injectors out to get more room and wasn’t too bad. Thank you again for everyone’s help with this. Greatly Appreciated!

Well I received new glow plugs and controller from https://www.accuratediesel.com/shop/1.html and now I have glow plugs that work! Engine was cold as got down to 30 last night and installed new parts today and now plugs stay on 8 sec and truck fired right off. The new glow plugs were relatively easy to do except the 2 under turbo but pulled those 2 injectors out to get more room and wasn’t too bad. Thank you again for everyone’s help with this. Greatly Appreciated!

Thanks for the report back. And glad it worked out. :nabble_smiley_good:

• 3 years later...

Jagg82, just curious what your experience has been with the controller and glow plugs from accurate diesel. I am considering these items as well for my daughters 1984 with the 6.9L.