Bullnose Forums

Couple of Interior Questions

Machspeed

I'm having to do a drip rail repair that may require some welding. As such, I have removed the headliner. In the process of removing the headliner, I had to remove the A pillar trim. This did not prove to be an easy task. I was able to remove the driver's side but damaged it in the process. Actually cracked it half way up, am not happy. Three screws hold it in and one would think it to be easy getting it out after screw removal. Am I an exception? Anyone else ever have issue getting these out?

The other question pertains to the dome light on my truck. Had to pull it to remove the headliner. It was badly pitted so I attempted to clean it up by first taking coke and foil to it. It looked better but not to my satisfaction. Put it on the buffer and accidently hit the clear map light lenses. Thought I could possibly buff that out with my Dremel but made it all the worse. Apparently, those lenses are very soft plastic. Not a good day! Screwing everything up....arghhh!!! The base on my dome light is not available, I've seen a couple on ebay but they are pitted as well. Wondering if any of you retro-fitted a newer model unit in your truck? Options please?

IMG_10141522.jpg.754f8dcb505fc0c1e36f81e60a1edf03.jpgIMG_1017.jpg.6317decc9c6eae3655caadfb7d047e2c.jpg

I've had to remove the dash pad to get the A-pillar trim out. Getting the bottom of the trim out past the pad is very difficult.

As for the trim itself, you may be able to glue it on the backside. If I remember correctly they are ABS and PVC pipe glue works. Or epoxy.

On the dome light, they all seem to be pitted. I've thought about powder coating the one for Big Blue, but since I'm going with the Highliner won't need to do that now as it has its own dome light. And, btw, I don't think I have a good lens. But have seen them on ebay.

I've had to remove the dash pad to get the A-pillar trim out. Getting the bottom of the trim out past the pad is very difficult.

As for the trim itself, you may be able to glue it on the backside. If I remember correctly they are ABS and PVC pipe glue works. Or epoxy.

On the dome light, they all seem to be pitted. I've thought about powder coating the one for Big Blue, but since I'm going with the Highliner won't need to do that now as it has its own dome light. And, btw, I don't think I have a good lens. But have seen them on ebay.

I pulled that dash pad, Gary. There is a single screw that you can't get to without pulling it. After pulling the pad and all the screws, I attempted prying with a plastic panel puller. Cannot believe how that thing is in there. I've loosened the passenger side enough to get the headliner out but sheez....what a pain in the rear!!! After repair, wondering how it will go back in. Wished they had made these with a more pliable plastic. Probably can't get these new either.

As for the light assembly, it stinks in every way. I'd put a repainted plastic unit in and rewire if I knew it would be a bolt in.

I pulled that dash pad, Gary. There is a single screw that you can't get to without pulling it. After pulling the pad and all the screws, I attempted prying with a plastic panel puller. Cannot believe how that thing is in there. I've loosened the passenger side enough to get the headliner out but sheez....what a pain in the rear!!! After repair, wondering how it will go back in. Wished they had made these with a more pliable plastic. Probably can't get these new either.

As for the light assembly, it stinks in every way. I'd put a repainted plastic unit in and rewire if I knew it would be a bolt in.

Yes, the dash has to come out. You also have to remove the metal pieces first to get the A pillar out safely. For the headliner, all the trim comes out anyway. Metal first, but be careful as these pieces like to bend upon removal ):

You can mend the cracked and completely broken ABS pieces together using nothing more than ACETONE. ACETONE will heat the ABS and melt it enough to be able to get a bond. I use a small paint brush and brush over the joints repeatedly until I see it start to melt (you will know), but be careful not to mishape the joint!! Then press the broken pieces together and hold tightly. It will stick shortly after and then you can go around and brush more acetone around the joints carefully trying to "weld" the pieces together from the back side. You might have to repaint the pieces after as the acetone will strip the paint/color. The joint won't be as strong as original, but you can hide the damage this way and carefully reassemble back into the truck. I was able to do this with several of my trim pieces.

IMG_20200524_134048139_HDR.jpg.61102cdd398c5ae28b6add765b70d88c.jpg

After repairs and painting below.

IMG_20200524_170436233.jpg.d1b104738e016881c578edb633e3105a.jpg

Perhaps the A pillar trim was accidentally glued in by a previous windshield replacement?

For the lens, even if it hadn't gone wrong, I'd consider the clear option that you can get on eBay. It (and the led...) really helped light up my supercab. They aren't perfect though and required a bit of xacto knife work. Or a dremel :nabble_smiley_wink:

Also, if you want to stick with the original light let me know. As Gary said, a lot of them are pitted so I try to pick up nice jy ones when I see them and can look in my totes.

Perhaps the A pillar trim was accidentally glued in by a previous windshield replacement?

For the lens, even if it hadn't gone wrong, I'd consider the clear option that you can get on eBay. It (and the led...) really helped light up my supercab. They aren't perfect though and required a bit of xacto knife work. Or a dremel :nabble_smiley_wink:

Also, if you want to stick with the original light let me know. As Gary said, a lot of them are pitted so I try to pick up nice jy ones when I see them and can look in my totes.

Thanks gentlemen! I'll attempt a fix on my A pillar per your advice, 66gtk. Thank you! Another option I found is that the driver's side A pillar is made with gauge pods and can be acquired through NPD. If my repair does not go as I hope, I may look into it, adding a trans and engine temp gauge there.

Scott, you make a good point with the windshield replacement comment. I did have the windshield replaced a few years back. However, when I pulled the driver's side A pillar trim, didn't see any adhesive on it. Perhaps there is some pressure from the windshield on it or the adhesive is catching.

Regarding the Dome Light, I didn't mess up the center lens cover but the two map light lenses. Sending you an email.

John

Thanks gentlemen! I'll attempt a fix on my A pillar per your advice, 66gtk. Thank you! Another option I found is that the driver's side A pillar is made with gauge pods and can be acquired through NPD. If my repair does not go as I hope, I may look into it, adding a trans and engine temp gauge there.

Scott, you make a good point with the windshield replacement comment. I did have the windshield replaced a few years back. However, when I pulled the driver's side A pillar trim, didn't see any adhesive on it. Perhaps there is some pressure from the windshield on it or the adhesive is catching.

Regarding the Dome Light, I didn't mess up the center lens cover but the two map light lenses. Sending you an email.

John

Oh, sorry about that - I see you said it was the map light now :nabble_smiley_blush:

Speaking of those lights, I seem to recall someone saying they pulled them out and replaced with bulbed LEDs that worked.

Will await the email :nabble_smiley_good:

Oh, sorry about that - I see you said it was the map light now :nabble_smiley_blush:

Speaking of those lights, I seem to recall someone saying they pulled them out and replaced with bulbed LEDs that worked.

Will await the email :nabble_smiley_good:

I've not had any trouble removing the A pillar trims except when someone was overzealous with sealing a windshield.

I put a dome/map light out of a later model truck (I think mid 90's F-Series or Explorer) in my '86. I's all plastic, and fits perfectly. After putting LED bulbs in it, it's like daylight in the cab in the middle of the night!