Bullnose Forums

So, there was a factory dual snorkle air cleaner for trucks with 5.8L H.O.???

I think it will help, but I did/am doing it because I think it looks cool and will cause the old timer's to :nabble_anim_confused:. I used a 5.8L HO air cleaner housing and grafted on a matching snorkel, so it looks factory. And I discovered that if you turn some of the cold air inlet tubing upside down it'll fit so you can plumb the 2nd snorkel to the radiator support - with factory pieces.

Sold!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much better does the engine run with dual snorkels?

Are stock paper filters made by Motorcraft?

Granted it’s air-cleaner specific, but which ones do you guys use?

I don't know how much "better" the engine runs, but it sure *looks* better! If Ford saw fit to put a dual snorkel air cleaner on their Mustang GT, why not put it on a Ford F150 with the same engine? For those of us who have modified our engines with similar performance upgrades the production Mustang GT received (4V carburetor, hotter camshaft, better exhaust, etc.), why not top it off with a dual-snorkel air cleaner from a Mustang GT? If one didn't know better, it looks like it actually *could* have come that way from Ford, right? It looks much more unique and functions a lot better than an aftermarket chrome open element style air cleaner that everyone and their mother-in-law has. I figured with dual exhaust pipes, I might as well have a dual snorkel air cleaner. :nabble_smiley_good:

The beauty of these air cleaners is that they are OEM stock Ford pieces that uses stock Ford parts. So Ford/Motorcraft did make an air filter for these at one time, but I don't know if they still do or not. To answer your question, I simply ask for an air filter for a 1985 Ford Mustang GT. I use the Purolator filters.

How much better does the engine run with dual snorkels?

Are stock paper filters made by Motorcraft?

Granted it’s air-cleaner specific, but which ones do you guys use?

I don't know how much "better" the engine runs, but it sure *looks* better! If Ford saw fit to put a dual snorkel air cleaner on their Mustang GT, why not put it on a Ford F150 with the same engine? For those of us who have modified our engines with similar performance upgrades the production Mustang GT received (4V carburetor, hotter camshaft, better exhaust, etc.), why not top it off with a dual-snorkel air cleaner from a Mustang GT? If one didn't know better, it looks like it actually *could* have come that way from Ford, right? It looks much more unique and functions a lot better than an aftermarket chrome open element style air cleaner that everyone and their mother-in-law has. I figured with dual exhaust pipes, I might as well have a dual snorkel air cleaner. :nabble_smiley_good:

The beauty of these air cleaners is that they are OEM stock Ford pieces that uses stock Ford parts. So Ford/Motorcraft did make an air filter for these at one time, but I don't know if they still do or not. To answer your question, I simply ask for an air filter for a 1985 Ford Mustang GT. I use the Purolator filters.

Amen to all Rick said.

However, my dual snorkel uses "all OEM stock Ford pieces" as well. A stock HO air cleaner and a second, stock, snorkel grafted on. But the advantage of my approach is that you can decide where/at what angle your second snorkel comes off, which lets you miss accessories like the air conditioning compressor, which aren't in the same locations on my 400 or 460 as they are with a Windsor.

Now, if I just got the right lettering cut out it could read "460 HO" to mess with people. (There wasn't a 460 HO, just the 351 HO. But, why not? :nabble_smiley_evil:)

Now, if I just got the right lettering cut out it could read "460 HO" to mess with people. (There wasn't a 460 HO, just the 351 HO. But, why not? :nabble_smiley_evil:)

Don't you think calling it a 7.5L 4V H.O. would be more consistent with what Ford was calling their other engines in the 1980s?

Not what you are looking for, Gary, but cool, none the less:

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_fairlane_torino/air-cleaner-decal-460-police-interceptor-ranchero-torino-1974.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scbplp42-74039-1&sc_intid=42-74039-1&utm_campaign=sc_bingshopping_desktop&msclkid=5983abaf5e0a1140e81ef5d42e67a3e5

Not what you are looking for, Gary, but cool, none the less:

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_fairlane_torino/air-cleaner-decal-460-police-interceptor-ranchero-torino-1974.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scbplp42-74039-1&sc_intid=42-74039-1&utm_campaign=sc_bingshopping_desktop&msclkid=5983abaf5e0a1140e81ef5d42e67a3e5

Rick - You are right, Ford did call it a 7.5L in that era. But it just doesn't have the same ring to it.

David - Yes, that's similar. And cool. But I was emulating the 5.8L HO air cleaner.