Bullnose Forum

So, there was a factory dual snorkle air cleaner for trucks with 5.8L H.O.???

You know what? I had the exact same problem with that 1983 black stripe decal. No matter how I positioned it, it was just a little too small to fit correctly on the lid. I ended up purchasing THREE of them from different vendors - all with the same result. So then I purchased the 1984/1985 decal, and it fit perfectly the first time. :nabble_smiley_good:

Hey Lariat,

I'm back at these stupid air cleaner decals again. What do you think the problem is with the 1983 black stripe decal? Against my better judgement, I ordered a 2nd decal kit from another seller (this one on Ebay), and it too doesn't fit...and it's actually worse than the other one I bought. See the picture below...oddly, the front portion of the decal is too small, same as the last one, and the rear portion of the decal is much larger. The front decal even says "Ford" on the back side...

There's gotta be something up with these, no? You've had three that didn't fit, and now I've had two.

I can find no other info online of others having this problem.

Maybe there is a procedure using heat and stretching them or something?

I'm being stubborn on this one. I want that 1983 decal kit.

Maybe I'll just take it to a local shop and have one made...it would likely end up being cheaper than me ordering these over and over from the US.

I don't know. I spent a couple of hours trying to make them work, but was unsuccessful. Every time I thought I was getting them closer to fit, they ended up being wrinkled. I ended up using the 1984/1985 style on Lucille, and I am very satisfied.

Look at it this way: Ford stopped using that style of air cleaner decal in 1983. The style they used in 1984 and 1985 on the Mustang 5.0L 4V H.O. and even the truck 5.8L 4V H.O. is what you see on my air cleaner. Since you have a 1984 model year truck - with 1984/1985 Mustang GT valve covers - the "correct" decal would be the 1984/1985 version.

Capiche?

Since you have a 1984 model year truck - with 1984/1985 Mustang GT valve covers - the "correct" decal would be the 1984/1985 version.

Capiche?

Ya, I know...it's just that I prefer the 83. Oh well. I'm not really trying to make anything correct really...most people have no idea anyway...lol.

• 1 month later...

- From 1984 - 1985, Ford used CFI (throttle body EFI) on the Mustang GT when the AOD A/T (automatic transmission) was introduced.

Although the diameter is the same as the 1983 - 1985 for cars with M/T, The 1984 and 1985 air cleaners for cars with A/T are different because the opening is larger and the locator prongs are in different locations to fit over the larger throttle body.

Hey Lariat 85,

I know there were some changes in the 5.0 GT air cleaner housings between 1983-1985, but the aluminum lids were all the same correct? It was only the decals on them that were different?

Specifically, an air cleaner lid from an 84-85 5.0 EFI H.O car would be the same as the lid from a 1983 carbed 5.0 H.O? Only the decals were different?

From reading through this thread, I'm pretty sure the answer to my question is yes, but wanted to ask anyway.

- From 1984 - 1985, Ford used CFI (throttle body EFI) on the Mustang GT when the AOD A/T (automatic transmission) was introduced.

Although the diameter is the same as the 1983 - 1985 for cars with M/T, The 1984 and 1985 air cleaners for cars with A/T are different because the opening is larger and the locator prongs are in different locations to fit over the larger throttle body.

Hey Lariat 85,

I know there were some changes in the 5.0 GT air cleaner housings between 1983-1985, but the aluminum lids were all the same correct? It was only the decals on them that were different?

Specifically, an air cleaner lid from an 84-85 5.0 EFI H.O car would be the same as the lid from a 1983 carbed 5.0 H.O? Only the decals were different?

From reading through this thread, I'm pretty sure the answer to my question is yes, but wanted to ask anyway.

The '82 lid is smaller, but the '83-85 lid is the same.

Hey Lariat 85,

YES, the 1983 - 1985 lids are the same.

• 2 weeks later...

YES, the 1983 - 1985 lids are the same.

I picked up another '83 5.0 H.O. air cleaner assembly. It was cheap and local, so I grabbed it for some spare parts. It had been hanging on the guy's garage wall for 12 years, and he too bought it to put on a truck he had years ago (Dentside). The base is pretty beat-up, but the cover was salvageable.

Do you guys have a source for replacement cover gaskets? I did a quick Google search and didn't see anything.

IMG_6489.jpg.bc543a8f37cd5f8bb97de18a0642aed3.jpg

I picked up another '83 5.0 H.O. air cleaner assembly. It was cheap and local, so I grabbed it for some spare parts. It had been hanging on the guy's garage wall for 12 years, and he too bought it to put on a truck he had years ago (Dentside). The base is pretty beat-up, but the cover was salvageable.

Do you guys have a source for replacement cover gaskets? I did a quick Google search and didn't see anything.

I just glued vacuum hose in. But someone on FTE found the right gasket a few years ago. Wish I remember what it is/was.

I just glued vacuum hose in. But someone on FTE found the right gasket a few years ago. Wish I remember what it is/was.

Little more digging around, looks like NPD has a couple versions...

https://www.npdlink.com/product/seal-air-cleaner-lid-cut-to-fit/107279/50572?year=1961

https://www.npdlink.com/product/seal-air-cleaner-lid-cut-to-fit/107278/50572?year=1961