Bullnose Forums

4wd ttb spring retainer nut size

Matt Wood

Matt - Do mean 58740, as shown below? If so, I can check it out tomorrow unless someone beats me to it.

But, "away"? I thought y'all were in various stages of lock down.

We are in lots of different stages of lock down lol, im traveling for work (which is allowed apparently) so I'm being very careful! Luckily I dont see many people in the industry im in!

As for the NUT (sorry Its late here and its been a long week already 😂) its the one at the top of the bolt you pointed at.

Thanks for the offer of looking but I need to leave here at about 11am my time so need to know before then and wouldn't want to burden you so early!

Screenshot_20201022-004533_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3ba951f672b50f7490403925715e6013.jpg

We are in lots of different stages of lock down lol, im traveling for work (which is allowed apparently) so I'm being very careful! Luckily I dont see many people in the industry im in!

As for the NUT (sorry Its late here and its been a long week already 😂) its the one at the top of the bolt you pointed at.

Thanks for the offer of looking but I need to leave here at about 11am my time so need to know before then and wouldn't want to burden you so early!

Screenshot_20201022-004533_Chrome.jpg

I'll see if I can sneak out after church tonight and check. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Stay safe.

Please don't burden yourself! Dont worry about me if its too much hassle.

Thank you as always!

Beers are definitely on me if / when you finally are able to get to the UK

Matt - I measured the nut at 1.087" across the flats. That translates to 27.6mm, but I don't have anything that big in metric.

So I measured my inch sockets, and the 1 1/16" socket measures 1.085" and it won't go on the nut. The 1 1/8" socket measures 1.150" across the flats and it goes on nicely. Might be slightly loose, but I'm sure it is what I used to tighten the nut with.

Using the ratio of how much bigger my sockets are than the stated size, like a 1.125" (1 1/8") is actually 1.150 across the flats, a 28mm should be 1.127" across the flats, and that would be just about right. So I'll bet the 28mm socket is right.

Matt - I measured the nut at 1.087" across the flats. That translates to 27.6mm, but I don't have anything that big in metric.

So I measured my inch sockets, and the 1 1/16" socket measures 1.085" and it won't go on the nut. The 1 1/8" socket measures 1.150" across the flats and it goes on nicely. Might be slightly loose, but I'm sure it is what I used to tighten the nut with.

Using the ratio of how much bigger my sockets are than the stated size, like a 1.125" (1 1/8") is actually 1.150 across the flats, a 28mm should be 1.127" across the flats, and that would be just about right. So I'll bet the 28mm socket is right.

Thank you very much for the detailed findings! I'm also sure I used a 28mm socket to tighten them last time but a spanner through the spring just seems that much easier in my case which is why I'm on the hunt to buy one (which is surprisingly difficult over here in the UK! On the shelves at least. I am in agricultural country now where the 'agricultural supply' shops sell any tool you could ever want! I'm heading by there in the morning to get a 28mm spanner !

Just a thought on my part which agrees with your findings, I think I tried a 1 1/8 on it and it didn't fit then when I went up to the 1 1/16 I wasn't happy with the fit (I was using 12 points) and didn't want it to round off! That's when I went over to the metric sockets which are normally about half way between imperial sockets give or take.

Thanks again!

Thank you very much for the detailed findings! I'm also sure I used a 28mm socket to tighten them last time but a spanner through the spring just seems that much easier in my case which is why I'm on the hunt to buy one (which is surprisingly difficult over here in the UK! On the shelves at least. I am in agricultural country now where the 'agricultural supply' shops sell any tool you could ever want! I'm heading by there in the morning to get a 28mm spanner !

Just a thought on my part which agrees with your findings, I think I tried a 1 1/8 on it and it didn't fit then when I went up to the 1 1/16 I wasn't happy with the fit (I was using 12 points) and didn't want it to round off! That's when I went over to the metric sockets which are normally about half way between imperial sockets give or take.

Thanks again!

You don't have a Whitworth set? My brother had a Norton and I had a Triumph, so I'm well aware of those spanners. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Yes, a spanner through the coils would be easier if the vehicle is together. But Dad's truck is such that I just lowered sockets down through the coil from the top on an extension to test. And calipers slipped between the coils.

You don't have a Whitworth set? My brother had a Norton and I had a Triumph, so I'm well aware of those spanners. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Yes, a spanner through the coils would be easier if the vehicle is together. But Dad's truck is such that I just lowered sockets down through the coil from the top on an extension to test. And calipers slipped between the coils.

I do have a Witworth set! I actually have what I like to call the mother of all socket sets, its about 3 times my age and has metric, imperial upto the equivalent of 35mm and It has witworth! Aswell as the ratchet, solid breaker, driver, and all the extentions! Its so helpful to have everything in one relatively small profile kit, ill take a picture of it when I get home to send over

I do have a Witworth set! I actually have what I like to call the mother of all socket sets, its about 3 times my age and has metric, imperial upto the equivalent of 35mm and It has witworth! Aswell as the ratchet, solid breaker, driver, and all the extentions! Its so helpful to have everything in one relatively small profile kit, ill take a picture of it when I get home to send over

First, don't you know its half three over there? What are you doing up?

Second, that must be a really nice set! I think I got rid of what few Whitworths I had when I sold the bike.