Bullnose Forums

Yes, Black Bear Road is dangerous

I ran across this YouTube video. Apparently a Wrangler parked on Black Bear Road did not remain parked. There was a passenger and a couple of dogs in it at the time. All three were ejected from the vehicle. It says the girl sustained serious injuries. It says this happened on 10 Oct 2020, so about a week and a half ago.

So yes, Black Bear Road is dangerous. I've been down it twice, and part of me would still like to do it again. But even before hearing this story I've wondered if it's worth it. As I've said before, Black Bear is an easy trail, so the driving challenge isn't a reason to go. Yes it's incredibly scenic, but a lot of other roads are as well. The big reason to do it is the adrenaline rush. I felt that the first time I drove it, but really didn't the second when I knew what to expect (even though it was 18 years later).

Anyway, I'm not telling anyone that they should or shouldn't do Black Bear. Just putting this out there.

Yipes! Oh, my goodness! That's awful! :nabble_smiley_scared:

That was three days after we rented a Jeep and went over Ophir Pass. And, as the crow flies, that's only 4.3 miles from where we were.

The Drive says "The 22yr old male, who was the driver of the Jeep Wrangler Sport, told Deputies he had shut off the engine, applied the emergency brake and stepped out of the vehicle to help direct a driver behind him around a tight turn. The Jeep started to roll with his 23yr old female friend in the passenger seat. He tried to jump back into the vehicle to try and steer it, but he was thrown into rocks when it left the road."

The implication of "started to roll" to me is that the emergency brake came off, but is that the way you read it? Could it mean it slid over the side? Surely not.

So, is it that it is so steep?

Black_Bear_To_Ophir.thumb.jpg.965c9b161c700b36fcb776b37199a36b.jpg

Yipes! Oh, my goodness! That's awful! :nabble_smiley_scared:

That was three days after we rented a Jeep and went over Ophir Pass. And, as the crow flies, that's only 4.3 miles from where we were.

The Drive says "The 22yr old male, who was the driver of the Jeep Wrangler Sport, told Deputies he had shut off the engine, applied the emergency brake and stepped out of the vehicle to help direct a driver behind him around a tight turn. The Jeep started to roll with his 23yr old female friend in the passenger seat. He tried to jump back into the vehicle to try and steer it, but he was thrown into rocks when it left the road."

The implication of "started to roll" to me is that the emergency brake came off, but is that the way you read it? Could it mean it slid over the side? Surely not.

So, is it that it is so steep?

I really doubt it slid over the side. It's steep, but unless it was muddy or icy that wouldn't be a concern (and even mud I don't think would be an issue since the trail is more rock than dirt). Plus, that would have been at least as big an issue as he was coming to a stop as it would be parked. So if he was able to stop OK I'm sure it didn't slide off.

It could be that it's steep enough that the e.brake didn't hold well enough. I know the e.brake on my pickup isn't strong enough to holt it on a hill as steep as Black Bear is in places. So maybe he set the brake and didn't realize that it was starting to move as he took his foot off the brake pedal?

When I've stopped on Black Bear I've always shut off the engine and left it in low gear, low range. With a manual trans that's the best "parking brake" you've got. And I (usually) turn the steering so if it rolls it will roll into the wall rather than off the cliff (I say "usually" because I'm probably not as careful about this as I should be).

But it highlights what people say, one mistake can get you killed there (although no deaths in this one apparently). So don't make that mistake!

edit to add: It says he shut off the engine and applied the parking brake. Was it an auto or manual? What gear was it in? "Park" in an auto ought to have held it, even without the parking brake. And a low gear in a manual ought to have held it without the parking brake. So was he in neutral?

Another possibility might be that he was a little crossed up and some tires were unweighted. If that was the case, then the engine/trans wouldn't hold it unless it has lockers (that were engaged if they were selectables). The fact that it says it was a Wrangler Sport (not a Rubicon) says it wouldn't have had lockers stock. Anyway, in that scenario it would also just be the parking brake holding, at least until all 4 tires were pretty well planted. And if that didn't happen in time as the vehicle picked up speed...

I really doubt it slid over the side. It's steep, but unless it was muddy or icy that wouldn't be a concern (and even mud I don't think would be an issue since the trail is more rock than dirt). Plus, that would have been at least as big an issue as he was coming to a stop as it would be parked. So if he was able to stop OK I'm sure it didn't slide off.

It could be that it's steep enough that the e.brake didn't hold well enough. I know the e.brake on my pickup isn't strong enough to holt it on a hill as steep as Black Bear is in places. So maybe he set the brake and didn't realize that it was starting to move as he took his foot off the brake pedal?

When I've stopped on Black Bear I've always shut off the engine and left it in low gear, low range. With a manual trans that's the best "parking brake" you've got. And I (usually) turn the steering so if it rolls it will roll into the wall rather than off the cliff (I say "usually" because I'm probably not as careful about this as I should be).

But it highlights what people say, one mistake can get you killed there (although no deaths in this one apparently). So don't make that mistake!

edit to add: It says he shut off the engine and applied the parking brake. Was it an auto or manual? What gear was it in? "Park" in an auto ought to have held it, even without the parking brake. And a low gear in a manual ought to have held it without the parking brake. So was he in neutral?

Another possibility might be that he was a little crossed up and some tires were unweighted. If that was the case, then the engine/trans wouldn't hold it unless it has lockers (that were engaged if they were selectables). The fact that it says it was a Wrangler Sport (not a Rubicon) says it wouldn't have had lockers stock. Anyway, in that scenario it would also just be the parking brake holding, at least until all 4 tires were pretty well planted. And if that didn't happen in time as the vehicle picked up speed...

I'm thinking he didn't put it in Park and the emergency brake didn't hold.

As you said, a manual in low range and 1st gear would be very unlikely to move, especially with a 460 up front. But I've wondered about a "line lock" that keeps the brakes engaged. Would only work on one end or the other, and probably the best on Big Blue would be the front. What do you think?

I'm thinking he didn't put it in Park and the emergency brake didn't hold.

As you said, a manual in low range and 1st gear would be very unlikely to move, especially with a 460 up front. But I've wondered about a "line lock" that keeps the brakes engaged. Would only work on one end or the other, and probably the best on Big Blue would be the front. What do you think?

Anything extra will help until it doesn't. In other words, any system can fail. Are line locks that prone to failure? I don't know, but in my experience 100% of them have failed (that's 1 out of 1...). I used to have a line lock on the rear brakes of my Bronco, but it quit working one day in my driveway. Now I have a pretty good dent in the rear bumper of my pickup (the Bronco tow point that hit it was unfazed).

So I definitely wouldn't count on a line lock as my primary line of defense, but it could be a good belt to go with a pair of suspenders.

An E-brake is, at best, a belt as well. For me (as I said), the suspenders is the manual trans in gear with the engine off.

By the way, steering toward the wall isn't as helpful for me as it would be for Big Blue. He likely has a steering column lock, which I don't have. If my Bronco starts to roll the steering will tend to go back to straight (unless a tire hits a rock, and then all bets are off). So again, in gear with the engine off.

Putting a ROCK behind a tire isn't a bad idea either, as long as it isn't no bigger'n a grapefruit (just ask C.W. McCall)

Anything extra will help until it doesn't. In other words, any system can fail. Are line locks that prone to failure? I don't know, but in my experience 100% of them have failed (that's 1 out of 1...). I used to have a line lock on the rear brakes of my Bronco, but it quit working one day in my driveway. Now I have a pretty good dent in the rear bumper of my pickup (the Bronco tow point that hit it was unfazed).

So I definitely wouldn't count on a line lock as my primary line of defense, but it could be a good belt to go with a pair of suspenders.

An E-brake is, at best, a belt as well. For me (as I said), the suspenders is the manual trans in gear with the engine off.

By the way, steering toward the wall isn't as helpful for me as it would be for Big Blue. He likely has a steering column lock, which I don't have. If my Bronco starts to roll the steering will tend to go back to straight (unless a tire hits a rock, and then all bets are off). So again, in gear with the engine off.

Putting a ROCK behind a tire isn't a bad idea either, as long as it isn't no bigger'n a grapefruit (just ask C.W. McCall)

I saw that this morning also. There is a brake lock for all 4 wheels. They use Mico locks on big work trucks and such. They have 2 wheel and 4 wheel applications.

https://www.mico.com/products/dual-cable-lock

I saw that this morning also. There is a brake lock for all 4 wheels. They use Mico locks on big work trucks and such. They have 2 wheel and 4 wheel applications.

https://www.mico.com/products/dual-cable-lock

For what it's worth, the line lock that failed on my Bronco was a Mico. Not saying they're bad, just that I wouldn't trust them with my family's life.

For what it's worth, the line lock that failed on my Bronco was a Mico. Not saying they're bad, just that I wouldn't trust them with my family's life.

Was it a mechanical or electric? I don't think I would trust the electric one either. I have not had any problems with the mechanical ones that I have dealt with.

Was it a mechanical or electric? I don't think I would trust the electric one either. I have not had any problems with the mechanical ones that I have dealt with.

Mechanical.

Mico is a good brand, I know that. And again, it would be a good belt to add to the suspenders. But they aren't infallible.

I should say that it did give me some warning. It had a switch for a warning buzzer to signal if it was set but the pressure was low. I had it wired to not buzz unless the key was on, and it had started buzzing when I turned the key on, so I knew it was losing pressure. I parked the Bronco in the driveway, set the line lock and left the engine running in neutral while I got out to put a brick behind a tire. As I picked up the brick I heard the buzzer go on and I hurried to place the brick but the Bronco was already moving. So I let my truck stop it rather than run myself over in my own driveway (I think that would've looked bad).

Mechanical.

Mico is a good brand, I know that. And again, it would be a good belt to add to the suspenders. But they aren't infallible.

I should say that it did give me some warning. It had a switch for a warning buzzer to signal if it was set but the pressure was low. I had it wired to not buzz unless the key was on, and it had started buzzing when I turned the key on, so I knew it was losing pressure. I parked the Bronco in the driveway, set the line lock and left the engine running in neutral while I got out to put a brick behind a tire. As I picked up the brick I heard the buzzer go on and I hurried to place the brick but the Bronco was already moving. So I let my truck stop it rather than run myself over in my own driveway (I think that would've looked bad).

At least you were not hurt! We need to design an automatic wheel chock that you hit a button and it drops behind the tire. But with my luck I would need it in front of the tire.