Bullnose Forum

Gary's Jeeping Near Ouray

Gary Lewis

Big Blue will work fine on Engineer Mountain Road. But as we discussed before and as your passengers pointed out on this trip, the vehicle often isn't the limiting factor. Driver and even passenger comfort level often (usually?) are. The "short wheelbase recommended" probably helps keep some people from getting in beyond what they can handle.

Which brings me back to my broken record message. Don't go anywhere that isn't fun. Turn around if you need to. Push your limits as much as you want, but only as much as YOU want.

I'm pretty unfazed by heights in vehicles. (But not elsewhere - you should have seen me at the Eiffel Tower!) I had absolutely no concerns whatsoever going up Ophir Pass, and wished for more. But it was clear that was One Toke Over The Line for my passengers. :nabble_smiley_wink: (We'd just heard that song on the radio that morning, so it stuck in my mind.)

So I'm trying to get a group up to go some time next year. I'd certainly like to take my son, and have already asked him. And I've asked my brother, who has an FJ and might take it. Maybe one of his sons would go as well and we could have some fun.

I hadn't ever read much about the FJ, so Googled "how capable is an FJ off road" and found this article. And, it included this pic. :nabble_smiley_wink:

edb294a470b66973eb087d1a0efb83fa.thumb.jpg.28afd7f56cdb32984cdf4978ba4d662b.jpg

I'm pretty unfazed by heights in vehicles. (But not elsewhere - you should have seen me at the Eiffel Tower!) I had absolutely no concerns whatsoever going up Ophir Pass, and wished for more. But it was clear that was One Toke Over The Line for my passengers. :nabble_smiley_wink: (We'd just heard that song on the radio that morning, so it stuck in my mind.)

So I'm trying to get a group up to go some time next year. I'd certainly like to take my son, and have already asked him. And I've asked my brother, who has an FJ and might take it. Maybe one of his sons would go as well and we could have some fun.

I hadn't ever read much about the FJ, so Googled "how capable is an FJ off road" and found this article. And, it included this pic. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Not far from where this Toyota was in this pic! This one looks to be a 4runner, but we saw a lot of FJ Cruisers out there too. They do fine on all of the Ouray trails too, although "the Wall" on Poughkeepsie really needs a locker.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n13077/DSC_7565_BlackBear.jpg

Not far from where this Toyota was in this pic! This one looks to be a 4runner, but we saw a lot of FJ Cruisers out there too. They do fine on all of the Ouray trails too, although "the Wall" on Poughkeepsie really needs a locker.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n13077/DSC_7565_BlackBear.jpg

Yep, I thought that's where it was. As for the locker, that article says they come with a rear locker, stock. Dunno as I haven't looked his over that closely. But I sent him a link to the article and he owes me a call today, so maybe we can talk about it. :nabble_smiley_good:

.... As for the locker, that article says they come with a rear locker, stock....

Interesting! I know Toyota was one of the first manufacturers to put actual lockers in * (always a selectable locker), but I didn't know they were available in the FJ Cruiser.

* (OK, GM was probably the first with the G80/M-Locker/GovLock)