Bullnose Forums

Tilt Column

Danny G

That column is aftermarket... are you looking for a manual transmission column or automatic? If buying a used OEM tilt column, read carefully and know the return policy. Tilt columns are often worn and sloppy and won’t hold their position. Without a wheel on it, they can appear okay but flop around and drop unexpectedly on you when in use. Finding a good one can be tough. Install is simple bolt-in. Columns from 1980-1991 will work. I would recommend holding onto your straight column for a rainy day.

That column is aftermarket... are you looking for a manual transmission column or automatic? If buying a used OEM tilt column, read carefully and know the return policy. Tilt columns are often worn and sloppy and won’t hold their position. Without a wheel on it, they can appear okay but flop around and drop unexpectedly on you when in use. Finding a good one can be tough. Install is simple bolt-in. Columns from 1980-1991 will work. I would recommend holding onto your straight column for a rainy day.

Another problem with a tilt column is the part that breaks if you use the column to hoist yourself into the truck. And when it breaks you may not be able to start the truck - at all or reliably.

I took a tilt column out of Big Blue because of that. And I'm happy I did. Previously it wouldn't always start, and now it starts every time. And I can pull myself into the cab w/o worry.

I have one.

Let me dig it out of the shed, it is the original 1982 column from espy. It all worked when I pulled it. I replaced it with a rebuilt one.

Will try and post pics tomorrow.