Bullnose Forums

Nerfs, loops or boards and why?

Danny G

We are on the same page. The drw trucks I've seen like you are referring to (nice horse haulers) typically have the running boards that go from wheel well to wheel well. My 86/Camano came with those and the rear piece changes the look even more. I prefer just the front section (to the back of the cab) but can't argue with protection the full length ones afford.

E6TZ-16450-E

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Ford-E6TZ-16450-E-1980-1986-F-150-F-250-F-350-truck-running-board-kit/233501660423?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item365dc89507:g:zWsAAOSwn~BeT~QZ&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACgBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%252Fn%252BzU5L90Z278x5ickkai8xCwosGKpC0NWj85e%252FB%252BGxPYFOqJCvoE%252F30emIQ%252BEkmIAMkp2I9AHgsPHE7g1VpGQQQds4sk2Bb3FabGL4vYktbi13KvHRm8GlpC1ad%252FvHS6hT3VAY%252FrFEzRYTxUdlTHZu4bgXKVHusxVRop3Sf7mUi4UCtMu28N8vPRf3WNfxkVEnhERg%252F7Z%252BKhlyH%252F0R4n43U5m%252BeJmbDRalswYWMxXBrNuOoaOJSN7T2ZP%252BfdtNhFe%252F7gR8p7ed0pvM2rcAWtucSNij%252BlO8DyKHWjk5DkfdYFiDdgrw9AWDMfQbCz%252FWByscmQ%252FsTSEu4QufC0HBYcywXVjaFNNQ0RKl1njYxX6YWXtYfVK06r69BYgr2VykR44f15ObNtJqLeIF8Id9B1MYADoMdhanr%252Bos8652N9aUDRMsOjXi1P5bP%252FkrsllJeRWF6ZD5XEeeL3Qy0Ugff60DR8vd1HuGIW75wKrqk6n6wMmlq7Q9OeQTgypdLyklqp1A4wVpJhn1BwMGglPAeNb%252B9hSQYCSbWOZgkIMaRdQNyysgrD2ScX1pGa8mt7GTluShWujteVHhzh55F2s9s%252F%252FHmCa7rownqZCQoYhDeZKdA3P5mtNkSrVhqt%252B1XbE55MCkYzXykTxOdTOPPDEfs32zry2XnFM2PAFsQDG1jxW9g4fGI7EtuNq9tD4PvOcx3Z6uQABaCFAAR%252BdJMP%252BMx7X6exHujGoIizaSfjjXi3WCQ6sVuKe1zOJyf3fQQ13gxRdcOLImtDMB7d1AgHbCm%252F98LAMk2BgSjKdgKmnrfe%252FSfrVj049F1Y1374yojOk%253D%7Ccksum%3A233501660423e1c537f66ad44e7094ccf19ed145a8dd%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2334524

Running Boards Makes it easier to get in and out of the truck, plus if you need to get anything out of the bed, you have a step. Actually though, i like nerf bars as well on trucks that are lifted

For appearance my personal preference is nothing. I like the cleaner look. And I'm 6' tall and pretty nimble, so getting in isn't a problem.

For a combination of appearance and function to make it easier for my 5'6" wife or my 87 year old dad get in I like the factory steps used in the mid '90s (at least on the mid '90s trucks). Here it is on my old '95 SuperCab

95_SuperCab.jpg.9be96313d1723cb01072fd6ed1ca7c86.jpg

And the aftermarket steps on my '97 crew cab are close.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n72773/DSC_0655.jpg

But what I don't like about that style is how it doesn't hold up to road salt. On both my '95 and now my '97 the supports went away and eventually it's just hanging from the body, which is also rusting away. So I'm getting concerned that someone will break one off, fall and get hurt.

So for that reason I like the running boards that Dee Zee used to make that attach to the frame. I may end up fabbing something like that for my '97.

By the way, personally I'd never want anything that attaches to both the body and the bed. There's too much flex between them when the truck gets twisted up. OK if the truck never leaves pavement, but even though I don't go off-roading with my pickup, I still get it a little twisted at the cabin, or on the boat launch or something. And I wouldn't want the running boards attached to the bottom of the body and bed trying to help stiffen the chassis.

edit to add: I do like the nerf bars Gary has on Big Blue as well. It's still a pretty clean look, and still functional as a step. But I think they'd be a slipperier step (especially when wet), so I'm not sure my dad would like them as well.

For appearance my personal preference is nothing. I like the cleaner look. And I'm 6' tall and pretty nimble, so getting in isn't a problem.

For a combination of appearance and function to make it easier for my 5'6" wife or my 87 year old dad get in I like the factory steps used in the mid '90s (at least on the mid '90s trucks). Here it is on my old '95 SuperCab

And the aftermarket steps on my '97 crew cab are close.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n72773/DSC_0655.jpg

But what I don't like about that style is how it doesn't hold up to road salt. On both my '95 and now my '97 the supports went away and eventually it's just hanging from the body, which is also rusting away. So I'm getting concerned that someone will break one off, fall and get hurt.

So for that reason I like the running boards that Dee Zee used to make that attach to the frame. I may end up fabbing something like that for my '97.

By the way, personally I'd never want anything that attaches to both the body and the bed. There's too much flex between them when the truck gets twisted up. OK if the truck never leaves pavement, but even though I don't go off-roading with my pickup, I still get it a little twisted at the cabin, or on the boat launch or something. And I wouldn't want the running boards attached to the bottom of the body and bed trying to help stiffen the chassis.

edit to add: I do like the nerf bars Gary has on Big Blue as well. It's still a pretty clean look, and still functional as a step. But I think they'd be a slipperier step (especially when wet), so I'm not sure my dad would like them as well.

I have a set of those Dee Zee boards on Darth. The new ones are no where near as substantial as mine. When I bought Darth in 1994, the bed side ones were loose and would dump you on the ground if you weren't careful. The rear was simply attached to an angle that was "mud daubered" to the frame, I installed a nice piece of square tubing all the way from inside one dually fender to the other and bolted the vertical portion of the boards to it. I can post pictures of the mounting and reinforcement if desired.

I have a set of those Dee Zee boards on Darth. The new ones are no where near as substantial as mine. When I bought Darth in 1994, the bed side ones were loose and would dump you on the ground if you weren't careful. The rear was simply attached to an angle that was "mud daubered" to the frame, I installed a nice piece of square tubing all the way from inside one dually fender to the other and bolted the vertical portion of the boards to it. I can post pictures of the mounting and reinforcement if desired.

I can see your point about attaching to the body and the bed, but , the running boards on Brutus. Came with the truck new in 86 with the exception of the black tread which had to be redone, are in near perfect condition.

I can see your point about attaching to the body and the bed, but , the running boards on Brutus. Came with the truck new in 86 with the exception of the black tread which had to be redone, are in near perfect condition.

I prefer hoops, but only if they attach to the frame as the old Dee Zee's did. Since I couldn't find such, I went with nerfs on Frankenstein so my wife could get in.