Bullnose Forums

Nerfs, loops or boards and why?

Danny G

I have been running mine naked sense I have had it. I learned from a CJ5 that I had earlyer in life. The less you have hanging off of the bottom, the less there is to rip off while out in the woods. It also helps that I am 6'3" tall and have no proublem stepping into or out of a stock lift pickup.

Just my humble opnion

Naked: cleaner.

However, for practicalities, a Powerstep by Amp Research is a contender, especially since it tucks away under the rockers. Helps the family get in out without them looking like they’re in boot camp scaling a rope wall, and, it’s cleaner.

Those are pretty cool. I like that they light up.

Yes I have no problem getting in and out I am 6'3" but others may have issue. I typically use a step only for getting to the cab roof or to scrap/knock junk off my boots.

Those are pretty cool. I like that they light up.

Yes I have no problem getting in and out I am 6'3" but others may have issue. I typically use a step only for getting to the cab roof or to scrap/knock junk off my boots.

If by "nerf bar" you mean full-length ones like shown below, then that's what I like - for Big Blue. That's because he sits tall and they are needed to help people get in. And, I can stand on them to put things in the bed or the tool box. Plus, they protect the body as they are attached to the frame.

Dad's truck won't have any, and Blue has the automagic ones that drop down when you open the door. In other words, I like the "clean" look for most trucks.

Big_Blue_At_Pop_s_On_Route_66.thumb.jpg.b66c52e97f833ff8be724184700dd358.jpg

Lot of factors play into it like have been mentioned - usage and condition of truck as well as height or physical ability of the person getting in.

On my 86 4wd 3/4 I like the look of treadplate running boards. They help the kids get in without having to really look where they are placing their feet and they help a lot with preventing rock chips when on gravel roads.

On our farm trucks (1 ton 4wd flatbeds) that my dad and grandpa use daily, we have both hoops and running boards. Nerfs would be better though for the added strength since the hoops have all had to have some repair on them. Something is needed though to help them get in as well as something to scrape boots off on. Surprisingly the running boards have held up pretty well.

For 2wd 150's I like nothing on them.

Just my preferences.

If by "nerf bar" you mean full-length ones like shown below, then that's what I like - for Big Blue. That's because he sits tall and they are needed to help people get in. And, I can stand on them to put things in the bed or the tool box. Plus, they protect the body as they are attached to the frame.

Dad's truck won't have any, and Blue has the automagic ones that drop down when you open the door. In other words, I like the "clean" look for most trucks.

I prefer naked. I had wide hoops on my SuperCab 'cuz my wife and I are both shorties.

Lot of factors play into it like have been mentioned - usage and condition of truck as well as height or physical ability of the person getting in.

On my 86 4wd 3/4 I like the look of treadplate running boards. They help the kids get in without having to really look where they are placing their feet and they help a lot with preventing rock chips when on gravel roads.

On our farm trucks (1 ton 4wd flatbeds) that my dad and grandpa use daily, we have both hoops and running boards. Nerfs would be better though for the added strength since the hoops have all had to have some repair on them. Something is needed though to help them get in as well as something to scrape boots off on. Surprisingly the running boards have held up pretty well.

For 2wd 150's I like nothing on them.

Just my preferences.

I like the running boards on he duely 250/350's that people pull trailers with. They look off to me on a taller truck, but are functional for stopping rocks and other things. Probably the most functional of all options.

I like the running boards on he duely 250/350's that people pull trailers with. They look off to me on a taller truck, but are functional for stopping rocks and other things. Probably the most functional of all options.

We are on the same page. The drw trucks I've seen like you are referring to (nice horse haulers) typically have the running boards that go from wheel well to wheel well. My 86/Camano came with those and the rear piece changes the look even more. I prefer just the front section (to the back of the cab) but can't argue with protection the full length ones afford.