Bullnose Forums

Transmission Crossmember Info Missing From MPC?

salans7

So in short, I just spent two hours looking for base number (5060) under section 50 of the MPC, with no luck. There is no 5060 in the frames section, and I can't find it anywhere under the transmission sections either. Apparently my version of the MPC isn't searchable, so can anybody with the MPC confirm whether I'm missing pages or if it's just not there or in a different section?

5060 is the base number for the transmission crossmember according to my 1980 shop manual. Maybe that number is wrong? :nabble_anim_confused:

I think 5028 is the base part number for the tranny crossmember, as shown below from our page at Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Crossmembers. And, you can find the full part numbers there as well.

The # 5060 only appears in the MPC as a GVW for the A-Series vans.

Gary, 5028 looks like the support for the center bearing on the longer wheelbase trucks. 5025 is forward of that and is probably the rear cab and mid mount fuel tank support. Note that all the crossmembers pictured behind the front suspension/engine support until the rear crossmember are top mounted only.

Might the transmission crossmember be included in the transmission/transfer case area of the MPC as they are somewhat transmission/transfer case/engine specific? I know, and you should also that the E4OD and C6 crossmember and gussets are way different and the head pipes on the 460/E4OD actually have a slight kickup at the crossmember seen here:

IMGP0928.thumb.jpg.1c51c1218c1f158c8494fca3468eb575.jpg

Gary, 5028 looks like the support for the center bearing on the longer wheelbase trucks. 5025 is forward of that and is probably the rear cab and mid mount fuel tank support. Note that all the crossmembers pictured behind the front suspension/engine support until the rear crossmember are top mounted only.

Might the transmission crossmember be included in the transmission/transfer case area of the MPC as they are somewhat transmission/transfer case/engine specific? I know, and you should also that the E4OD and C6 crossmember and gussets are way different and the head pipes on the 460/E4OD actually have a slight kickup at the crossmember seen here:

I agree Bill, 5028 is incorrect.

I dug through the transmission section since the gussets start with a 7, however I couldn't find the gussets listed either, and I went through all of the numbers in numerical and alphabetical order. I'm stumped.

There are alot of options and differences for the crossmembers and I'm trying to make sure there aren't any other available options for a 460/T19/4x4 besides the 83-87 variant.

I agree Bill, 5028 is incorrect.

I dug through the transmission section since the gussets start with a 7, however I couldn't find the gussets listed either, and I went through all of the numbers in numerical and alphabetical order. I'm stumped.

There are alot of options and differences for the crossmembers and I'm trying to make sure there aren't any other available options for a 460/T19/4x4 besides the 83-87 variant.

You guys are surely right. And, Shaun, if you get it figured out maybe we can significantly upgrade that page so others don’t have to dig through it like you are.

Transmission crossmember is 6A023, gussets are 6096...

Ok guys, I've added some info to the page at Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Crossmembers. I added a tab for Transmission Crossmembers. Go look, please, and let me know if it'll work.

You'll see that I only have the part numbers for diesels and 460's to this point, but have illustrations for everything but 1983-84 460 4wd's, which I haven't yet found. (EDIT: It was in there and I missed it.) Anyway, I wanted to see if this approach will work and then I can finish it.

And, I think there needs to be cleanup/rationalization elsewhere. This area is confusing.

Ok guys, I've added some info to the page at Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Crossmembers. I added a tab for Transmission Crossmembers. Go look, please, and let me know if it'll work.

You'll see that I only have the part numbers for diesels and 460's to this point, but have illustrations for everything but 1983-84 460 4wd's, which I haven't yet found. (EDIT: It was in there and I missed it.) Anyway, I wanted to see if this approach will work and then I can finish it.

And, I think there needs to be cleanup/rationalization elsewhere. This area is confusing.

Thank you guys! Guess the number shown in the shop manuals is wrong and that's why I could never find it.

The section looks good Gary, and I was able to find what I needed. Unfortunately I found more questions too, like why there are three different part numbers between 85-86 F250, F350 CC, and F350 non-CC, when it comes to the 460, and diesels have a different part number on their own. :nabble_anim_crazy::nabble_anim_confused:

Screenshot_2020-10-12_202648.jpg.f95d3236bd8ff48d696492cc10d4c441.jpg

What worries me is that I'm running a 1356, which may dictate my crossmember choice more-so than my truck. But Gary is running his factory F250 crossmember with a 1345 and a double cardan shaft to a D60 and it seems to work fine. :nabble_anim_confused:

Thank you guys! Guess the number shown in the shop manuals is wrong and that's why I could never find it.

The section looks good Gary, and I was able to find what I needed. Unfortunately I found more questions too, like why there are three different part numbers between 85-86 F250, F350 CC, and F350 non-CC, when it comes to the 460, and diesels have a different part number on their own. :nabble_anim_crazy::nabble_anim_confused:

What worries me is that I'm running a 1356, which may dictate my crossmember choice more-so than my truck. But Gary is running his factory F250 crossmember with a 1345 and a double cardan shaft to a D60 and it seems to work fine. :nabble_anim_confused:

All - I got the transmission crossmember section done, I think. And before you ask, I cannot find gusset part numbers for the little 230, in spite of them showing in the illustrations. The MPC shows them for the B and R-series trucks with the 230, but not the F-Series. :nabble_anim_confused:

Shaun - It really is bizarre! Confusing! Hard to believe, actually, that they'd have that many different #'s.

At some point it would be good to cross-ref the numbers and see which vehicles got what parts.

And yes, mine seems to work fine - now that I got the u-joint in correctly.

Ok, this gets weird, Darth is a 1986 F350 crew cab long bed with dual rear wheels. That makes him 168" wheelbase which jives with everything I've seen.

83/ F350 - - 168" WB list number 14

I go to list 14 and I see:

F 4.9L, 5.0L, 5.8L eng. - - coil spgs. E8TZ-5C139-A

F 4/W/D - - dsl. & 7.5L eng. -- leaf spgs. E8TZ-5C139-B

F 4/W/D - - exc. dsl. & 7.5L eng. -- leaf spgs. E8TZ-5C139-E

F 2/W/D - - dsl. & 7.5L eng. -- leaf spgs. E8TZ-5C139-D

This all well and good, BUT Darth is a 2 WD as according to his owners manual 4WD wasn't available on the DRW trucks in 1986. Here are the front springs when I had them out to install the front sway bar.

DSC_0528a.thumb.jpg.7d939d484e0fdd867822601aa248779d.jpg

Strangest looking leaf spring I've ever seen. :nabble_smiley_happy: