Bullnose Forums

USA parts run - EFI conversion,C6 overdrive, Northern Cali parts info please!

doni10

Hello, Doni. Welcome over. My father's family is in Sandford, Devon. I'm in NorCal, too, in Sonoma County just outside Santa Rosa.

Where are you base-camped? If we know, I/we might be able to index inventory at the local or proximate-to-you Pick-N-Pulls and help you allocate efforts.

Although the local P&P lot at Windsor has a couple Bullnose residents, neither are 300's and transmissions are not generally listed.

Good luck.

Ok, here are the promised pictures, this is a 7.5L (460) E4OD so the front part of the case is different.

3/4 front view, you can see the valve body electrical connection near the back.

Top from the rear, it is hard without having a C6 next to it to see the difference, it is 3" overall longer.

Here is where the C6 rear crossmember attached, the E4OD mount is 7" further back.

Here is the E4OD mounted under Darth.

One item you will need to be sure you can find, the actual shift linkage from an E series with the E4OD that is the same style as your C6 (mechanical rods and cross shaft or cable). The other item, you will need the transmission crossmember and gusset plates as it ends up being further back along with the front part (or whole assembly) of the propeller shaft. Make sure if you have a mechanical speedometer drive that the E4OD you get has at least the hole in the extension housing for the driven gear.

On the torque converter clutch, it is unlocked by the brake lamp circuit, when the PCM sees 12V there the clutch is released. If you want a manual unlock, you could use a diode in the brake light signal circuit to prevent the brake lights from coming on and a toggle switch from an ignition on feed to the same pin. I personally prefer to let the engine torque do the work like a manual transmission. I have the program in my EEC-V PCM set to need 80% throttle to unlock. The early E4OD pickups (1988-1991) had an OD lockout switch on the dash, it was a momentary contact with a light, pushing it would turn the light on and cancel OD until you either pushed it again or turned off the ignition, 1992 on it is at the end of the shift lever.

If you can find an E series with the 4.9L and E4OD and the same shifter/speedometer system as yours, it will have the EFI system also as the E4OD needs a computer of some kind to control it.

Good luck and if you have more questions, I will try to answer them for you.

Bill thank you so much for taking the time to write that up for me.

You weren't joking that thing really is a beast!!

Look forward to shipping that back!😙 - really though, sounds perfect in terms of the TC clutch and effective OD.

Am gunna start researching exactly which e-series came with that tranny then start tryna hunt them down.

Will let you know how progress goes.

Thanks again ✌️

Hello, Doni. Welcome over. My father's family is in Sandford, Devon. I'm in NorCal, too, in Sonoma County just outside Santa Rosa.

Where are you base-camped? If we know, I/we might be able to index inventory at the local or proximate-to-you Pick-N-Pulls and help you allocate efforts.

Although the local P&P lot at Windsor has a couple Bullnose residents, neither are 300's and transmissions are not generally listed.

Good luck.

Hey dyn?

Thanks for getting in touch and for your kind offer of assistance!

I'm currently up in Humboldt staying with some family friends, but have a car and for the right parts am now than happy to travel anywhere. It takes me an hour to get to the supermarket here so another little bit to get to some much needed parts would be no bother at all! :)

As for what I'm after, it sounds -from bill's advice- that what I'm searching for is a late model 300 e-series, and also a bullnose f series/bronco (maybe those ones in Windsor could work if they're not too rusty?? - I need a hood, a d/s wing and d/s door) that I could pull some body parts and trim from.

If at any time you come across either of those, if you could please shoot me a message I'd be eternally grateful!

Devon's a beautiful part of the world. Seemingly shares a lot of weather with Humboldt! :)

Hope you're good mate.

Thanks again.

Will be sure to post any updates on my parts quest here.

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck.

Hey dyn,

So I've managed to find a 1981 f150in my local wreckers.

For a hood, fender and door they're asking 300$.

Seems alright to me? as they all seem to be in really good condition.

Was just going to double check please. As I mentioned the truck in question is a F150. I suspect i already know the answer to this but just to double check (it would be too classic if I only found out otherwise after having shipped everything to England) are body parts between all the bullnose 150s 250s and broncos all interchangeable?

Thank u.

I suspect this would be common knowledge for you guys over here!

Hope your good mate. Thanks again.

Hey dyn,

So I've managed to find a 1981 f150in my local wreckers.

For a hood, fender and door they're asking 300$.

Seems alright to me? as they all seem to be in really good condition.

Was just going to double check please. As I mentioned the truck in question is a F150. I suspect i already know the answer to this but just to double check (it would be too classic if I only found out otherwise after having shipped everything to England) are body parts between all the bullnose 150s 250s and broncos all interchangeable?

Thank u.

I suspect this would be common knowledge for you guys over here!

Hope your good mate. Thanks again.

I keep forgetting yours is on an F250 chassis. Here that style was rare, most of our class C motorhomes are on an E350 chassis built as a cutaway and delivered to the RV manufacturer basically front end back through the doors and maybe 6" of sides and a roof to the same area.

You should be able to find some 4.9L, 5.0L or 5.8L trucks with the E4OD, but you will need the computer from a 6 cyl to mate with everything. Be sure to get the transmission cross member and frame gussets when you find one.

• 1 month later...

Ok, here are the promised pictures, this is a 7.5L (460) E4OD so the front part of the case is different.

3/4 front view, you can see the valve body electrical connection near the back.

Top from the rear, it is hard without having a C6 next to it to see the difference, it is 3" overall longer.

Here is where the C6 rear crossmember attached, the E4OD mount is 7" further back.

Here is the E4OD mounted under Darth.

One item you will need to be sure you can find, the actual shift linkage from an E series with the E4OD that is the same style as your C6 (mechanical rods and cross shaft or cable). The other item, you will need the transmission crossmember and gusset plates as it ends up being further back along with the front part (or whole assembly) of the propeller shaft. Make sure if you have a mechanical speedometer drive that the E4OD you get has at least the hole in the extension housing for the driven gear.

On the torque converter clutch, it is unlocked by the brake lamp circuit, when the PCM sees 12V there the clutch is released. If you want a manual unlock, you could use a diode in the brake light signal circuit to prevent the brake lights from coming on and a toggle switch from an ignition on feed to the same pin. I personally prefer to let the engine torque do the work like a manual transmission. I have the program in my EEC-V PCM set to need 80% throttle to unlock. The early E4OD pickups (1988-1991) had an OD lockout switch on the dash, it was a momentary contact with a light, pushing it would turn the light on and cancel OD until you either pushed it again or turned off the ignition, 1992 on it is at the end of the shift lever.

If you can find an E series with the 4.9L and E4OD and the same shifter/speedometer system as yours, it will have the EFI system also as the E4OD needs a computer of some kind to control it.

Good luck and if you have more questions, I will try to answer them for you.

Hey Bill,

So after much to-ing and fro-ing I've decided to bite the bullet (/the shipping costs!) and find myself an e40d.

I've got a few last questions for you on the matter please!

1) do all e40ds operate the same - with regards to the torque converter lock- or are some years better than others.

2) in those pictures you sent before I can see two spots for electrical connections - 1 on each side? - (is that right?

Thanks so much.

If I ever get this transmission set-up up and running I will name it bill in your honour!